Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:35 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Being Accountable: Weekly Challenge 4

Weekly Challenge:

Another chance at doing a challenge! This one may be an easier challenge for some of us than the normal 21 day challenges out there.

Each week you choose something that you really have a hard time doing, and you do it for the week. Say for instance, you really want to cut down on sugar and you know you can do that for at least a few days a week. You can choose how many days such as 3 or 4, up to all 7 ....(but no less than 3 please) and then commit yourself to it.

AND....it doesn't have to be all in a row either! You may decide to not eat sugar for 4 days. So on Monday you have no sugar, but on Tuesday you can have some, on Wednesday none, then Thurdsday...(you get the idea) As long as you complete the amount of days you committed yourself to.

You may choose limiting calories, getting in more exercise, drinking more water, eating less processed foods, taking a vitamin, counting carbs... whatever your need is - go for it!

So what do you think? Think we can commit to doing this? Let's give it a try!
Old 08-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Norma - maybe the powers that be are telling you something! I used to do the WATP video, too, and I think you'll like it.

Well, I haven't bought a treadmill yet. The choices around here are so lame. Plus, Neal wants me to get a go-ahead from my foot doctor before we invest in one. But exercise is my challenge for this week. At least 5 days, I'm going to do some sort of exercise.

What's your challenge this week?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #3  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

As I mentioned earlier my challenge will be counting calories and journaling food intake. I will also try to exercise each day, but won't beat myself up about that. The food is the key for me right now. I have to make good choices second nature for the rest of my life!

Norma- I would say you are SUPPOSED to do WATP! I think you will enjoy!

Woo hoo..woo hoo hoo..(as I hum the vonage commercial) I lost those pesky 3 pounds and 1 more these past 2 weeks. I so want to lose 5 more to put me under 170. I will!!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #4  
I can dream, can't I?

Day 1: Food went really well today..1235 calories and I didn't want more. Well, I could have eaten a little something just awhile ago, but it was after 8 and I do not eat after 8.
I walked this morning and this evening for a total of over 3 1/2 miles today.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/248.5/160

Height: 5 Ft. 6 In.

Sue: You are so RIGHT! I bought the dvd and I don't know what part of the country you are from, but if you begin to feel the ground shake, it's me.
Outstanding on the weight loss, no matter what tune you put it too.
Thanks for the boost.
Norma
Old 08-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #6  
I can dream, can't I?

Norma- Glad to help. I hope you enjoy the dvd. I like that it starts out slow so you can get used to it. Some days if I am not feeling great I just do it slower than she does. I have also started getting off my rear during commercial breaks on t.v. I just stand in front of my chair and march. LOL DH came in the other day and I was standing there watching Ellen and doing kicks..he just shook his head. It just feels good to move sometimes and I can't take the heat or sun (had melanoma) so I dance around the house. It seems to be working because the more I do it the more I WANT to do it.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1"

Hi gals!

My challenge is going to be exercise again. I was going to do something else but I got into exercising w/Jhanai over the weekend so that's what I'm going to do this week.

Norma, I'm doing the WATP dvd's too. Amazing how out of shape I really am!

Sue, Fantastic on losing 4lbs!!! I refuse to step on my scale until Sept 1. I'd rather see the damage w/in a month than every week. Crazy I know.

Jane, How are you doing on the exercise??

Well my daughter, Jhanai, got on my gazelle over the weekend and gazelled 4miles!!! Can you believe that? I haven't even done a full 4miles in one routine. She was on there for an hour. Very determined. I should be motivated by her!!

Ok....off I go!
Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 PM   #8  

Sue: I got a nice chuckle out of you marching to commercials. I need to do that. I just need to move. I've heard that before about the more you move the more you want to move. Hasn't happened to me yet. It's like I'm waiting for a little fairy to come along and tap with with her magic wand and then instantly I'm dying to exercise. If wishing could make it so! Congratualtions on the weight loss. Good Job!
Marti: You look so young and it's hard to believe you'd be out of shape even with the extra pounds. I haven't moved in years (I'm 57) so getting started has been harder than I thought it would be. I was most impressed that your daughter stayed on the gazelle for an hour. Oh how I wish. I've only been able to stick with it for 10 min tops.
Jane: I was going to quit bread for the week but I ate a slice the first day. I think I should exercise like you since it seems the thing that I need to work the hardest on.
You all have a great day and thanks for all the help and encouragement.
Norma
Old 08-15-2006, 06:00 PM   #9  
GmaTo8

Hey you gals are doing great!

I'm doing good with the exercise. Well, since the challenge just started yesterday, it's kind of early to say that, lol. Yesterday I did some calisthentics and was disgusted at how out of shape I am! Tonight I will do some crunches and arm exercises. My arms are worse than anything else on my body, I think. (I'm not gonna look in the mirror backwards, lol)

Unward and downward, chickees!
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #10  
I can dream, can't I?

Yesterday, day 2, I did so well with food. Just 1120 calories. I allow myself 1500 but haven't had to use them all yet. No exercise Tues., but I am feeling better today, so will do SOMETHING to move.
I have found one thing to be so true...if I eat oatmeal and 1 piece of toast for breakfast I am not hungry for most of the day. I actually have to remind myself to eat a little something for lunch. (Today I couldn't even eat all of the oatmeal.) Since I have high cholesterol I have tried to eat oatmeal over the years but tired of it after a few days. So far I am really not having a hard time with it. Dinner has always been my challenge, but even that is getting easier. DH said this morning that I am "forcing him to take action" meaning now he has to lose weight. LOL
Old 08-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #11  
I can dream, can't I?

Jane- You were so right when you told me it would get easier. Thank you! You have been a great cheerleader!

Norma- I, too, was waiting for that little fairy to zap me and make me exercise/lose weight. She never came along, so I decided I had to move my butt myself. LOL
Old 08-16-2006, 07:52 PM   #12  
GmaTo8

Yay Marti, Sue and Norma!!!

Sue - you're doing great and have come a long way from just a couple of months ago. Btw, oatmeal stays with me, too, and so I have it at night lots of times. I like some protein in the morning. We all have to do what works for us, right? It's just a matter of finding out what that is.

Norma - is there some reason you want to give up all bread? If it's not a trigger food for you, the whole grain breads are recommended as part of a healthy diet. You are encouraging to us, too, and I'm glad you're part of this group.

Marti - these kids can make us look bad, can't they, lol. Katie can move circles around me, but hey, at 19 I was no slouch either, lol.

I have to share this! I got on the floor to do my crunches today. Usually, I do these on the bed. Well, Molly saw me, and thought I was trying to get up, I guess, and heard me exhale on the pulling up part, and she got all concerned! She whined, and licked my face, and I guess she was thinking I was in agony. I was, lol, but I kept going! But I guess I better do these on the bed from now on - the dog can't take it, lol. Btw, it seems I have a lot of straining in my neck when I do those.... is that how it's supposed to feel?

I also did my arm pushes. Just thought I better mention that, too.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #13  
I can dream, can't I?

Jane- I have never figured out how to do a proper crunch without straining my neck. (so I don't do them much) I am really not having a problem with the food right now..and TY, I do feel like I have turned a corner. Hope I don't live to regret saying that.

Norma- Oh yes, I have marched all over the house sometimes when I don't want to stay in one spot. I keep wondering what my Mom will think when she comes to live with us. Probably that she raised a loony daughter.

I did good today..1335 calories and a 2.4 mile walk. A few extra calories because I treated myself with a small serving of ice cream. Edy's 1/2 calories slow churned. I/2 cup is 130 calories so I splurged. BTW..1/2 cup isn't much, but better than none at all.

Last week my shake from McD's was an artic orange...I was raving about it to my daughter today and she told me how to make one diet friendly. She said you use vanilla frozen yogurt, skim milk and one of the Crystal Light single packets of Sunrise Orange. Blend it and enjoy. She also said if you put in 4 or 5 frozen pineapple chunks it is to die for. So..grocery day tomorrow and I am going to buy the fixin's. I will report back. lol

Keep up the good work gals!
Old 08-17-2006, 03:37 AM   #14  

Sue: That Artic orange,yogurt,skim milk,Crystal Light,plus pineapple chunk concoction sounds really good. I'd love to see if it really tastes good.

Jane: I feel like I have an addiction to white bread. I crave it like a drug. When I was a child, it was the only food around on alot of occasions. I think it's more mental than anything else. I want it even if I'm not even hungry. How do you break a mental addiction?
P.S. Quit torturing your dog like that. It's inhumane. LOL

Marti: How's the exercise coming?

As for myself, I love the WATP dvd. You guys were right about it. I also bought me some resistance training cords to stretch with and a set of weights to carry as I do the dvd. They didn't have the 2lb balls at Wally world so I settled for 1.5 lb.

You all have a great day. My two week anniversay of dieting is tomorrow. I'm hoping to have a good loss.
Norma
Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 AM   #15  

Height: 5'1"

So far I have 2 days out of the 4 I'm wanting to do. Took yesterday off of work to spend w/my hubby. Went to the fair and that's not always a good thing when it comes to food!!

Had a corndog and my very first funnel cake!! (I always thought elephant ears were the same thing......they're not!)

And that was it for our menu at the fair. Not good but not overblown either.

Got a new scale.......says I weigh more than I thought. But at least I know my real weight and can work on it rather than relying on a broken scale I thought was fixed.

Will pop in later this evening for an update.

Hugs to all.
Closed Thread