Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #1  

Default This Place Is Awesome!!!

hi, I am new, just found you when I was searching for LA products to buy on e-bay...I just spent aobut 4 hours reading through many of the old post and you guys are AWESOME!!! I just re-joined LA weight loss last week. I went back to Nursing school for a year and re-gained all the weight I had lost two years ago. Partially due to the stress the other due to just not wanting to be bothered with worrying about what I eat as well as worrying about grades. Anyway I have a question for you guys, do you tell anyone how you are losing the weight? Last time I only told my mom that I had joined LAWL. When people asked me what I was doing I just said "oh I'm just watching what I eat" Not because I don't want others to lose weight like I did but because I am too embarrassed to tell anyone how much I paid for this program!! - 2x!! My friends and co-workers would really have a cow and talk about me. Just wondering if I'm an oddball here. Sometimes I feel a little guilty, I know technically I'm not lying but I still feel like I'm being a little deceitful....Anyway, I'm really excited about this forum. Since I usually keep LAWL on the DL, I don't have anyone to get support from besides the COD (I love that term you guys crack me up!!) so I think this will really help me succeed...sorry post is so long but I'm loving this place, its so cool!!
thinambition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/191/179

Height: 5' 5-1/2"

thinambition - glad you found this board! Most of the daily activity chit chat happens over at the Losers & Friends part.

I'm selective about who I tell about this program to. Partly because of the cost, and partly it's just nobody's business. I'm still in the losing phases, and fluctuating, and maybe once I reach goal I will feel differently about the "Hows". But you are not lying by saying you are watching what you eat. It's a lifestyle change, and you are eating healthy!
dolphn545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:02 PM   #3  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Welcome!!!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #4  
redhead30

S/C/G: 215/210/130

Height: 5'4"

I've told everyone I can that I'm on the program. They don't necessarily know how much it costs, but it keeps me accountable. Since everyone knows I've spent money on the program and I'm on a program I know I just can't go "off" the program whenever I want to. It also keeps me motivated - if they know that I'm trying, they'll expect me to lose weight too. I've found nothing but the best support from my friends/co-workers. We used to go out to lunch everyday. I don't go with them every day anymore, but I do go sometimes and they're always willing to go to a place that I can eat something on plan.

Just another way for me to be accountable.
redhead30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #5  
Joni - Atlanta, GA

Height: 5'3"

Welcome thinambition! Yes, if it comes up I do tell folks which program I am doing because #1 it's working; #2 it's a smart program to follow; and #3 it keeps me more accountable. The money part really never comes up. If it does, I tell them about that part to. So far, no one I know has joined LAWL but if I ever get to goal, I think I'd have some followers. Good luck and glad you found us.
Joni135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:34 PM   #6  
Deb on LAWL

S/C/G: 256.8/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome, If someone asks, then I tell them, otherwise I really don't talk about my weightloss. Not that I am ashamed, because I am definitely not. If you were a paying member of weight watchers, Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem, would you feel the same way? They are definitely not cheap either. It just depends on how you look at it. The cost up front is expensive yes, but I bet you would pay the same if not more on those, just over a period of time instead of all at once. I love LAWL and would do the same thing over again if I had the chance, and this is teaching me a way I can eat for the rest of my life and not feel deprived.
MTdebster921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #7  

oops! sorry to post in the wrong area....thanks for the warm welcome guys! Good advice, never looked at it that way. You're right, they all costs money and probably the same amount after its all added up. Well maybe I will talk about it this time once I start to really lose and people start to ask...I'm excited this time...well I'm off to the store to get my Luna bars and Knudsen morning blend...see ya
Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #8  
FBD/8-18-08

Welcome aboard Thinambition! I don't plan on telling anyone unless I have to, until they start to notice I'm losing. Then I'll tell them I've changed my eating habits. I don't want to hear one more lecture about the various "scams" and "all you need to do is eat less". Or the one about "I'm so lucky, I can eat anything I want and never gain a pound". (They both come from my mother-in-law!)
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #9  
Shannon

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! My boyfriend knows and my family knows - I saw its an investment in my health - I want to get healthy before the babies come if I'm struggling now it will only get worse with babies. Everyone else I'm just eating better. I understand the how it can be difficult especially if you regained your weight or in my case did other programs w/o success.

Pearl - go to love those MIL - mine left me a decorating book the last time she left - I live in a 1.5 yo townhouse with all new furniture at her place it is hard to find wall space with all the clutter - her idea is more is better than less!
Shannon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #10  

I looked into Diet Center this year and it cost $1000 for about a 30lb weight loss. It kind of baffled me. My hubby would never go for that, I don't think plus I live an hour away from any large city. About 15 yr. ago I payed $200 for a local place called Slender Center. I lost about 20lb but they went out of business before I finished. I, too, think it is an investment in health.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #11  

I don't like to tell people that I'm on LAWL (or any other plan I've done for that matter) simply because I feel like it diminishes my success in some way in people's eyes. Like oh, LAWL...that's the reason you're losing, not all your hard work and discipline. To me, I am the reason behind this weight loss, LAWL is merely the mechanism. I have told a few close friends, but when people ask what I'm doing, I say I'm eating good and exercising. I want all the credit - not LAWL or some other diet.
stiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #12  
FBD/8-18-08

Shannon, I remember many years ago, the first time my MIL came over to our BRAND NEW house. She immediately went over to my walk out bay window and began to "fix" the curtains. Welp, I reached under the sink, pulled out the Windex and a roll of paper towels and told her to let me know when she was finished and I'd put dinner on the table!
She never "fixed" another thing at my house! It was truly priceless! And I have to add that we have had a wonderful relationship - at times!
Prazteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 AM   #13  
Back-on-track!

S/C/G: 295.2/280.0/180

Height: 5'3

I don't tell anyone I'm on LAWL. But my reason is because when I tell them, they want to know what that means and I end up spending a lot of time trying to explain a somewhat complex system. I hate explaining it so I don't tell anyone. Well except the few people nearest and dearest to me.
Tomkyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiesta View Post
I don't like to tell people that I'm on LAWL (or any other plan I've done for that matter) simply because I feel like it diminishes my success in some way in people's eyes. Like oh, LAWL...that's the reason you're losing, not all your hard work and discipline. To me, I am the reason behind this weight loss, LAWL is merely the mechanism. I have told a few close friends, but when people ask what I'm doing, I say I'm eating good and exercising. I want all the credit - not LAWL or some other diet.

I agree with you on that...People feel like if you go to a weight loss center the weight magically comes off. I think they feel like well I could do that, whats the big deal you lost weight since you went to LAWL. But no one is standing over our shoulder 24-7 making us eat the right thing. It requires hard work regardless if we get some help from a weight loss center or not...very good point!!!