Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #1  
Melissa

Thumbs up Core Meals To Freeze

I think I've asked this before, but what core meals freeze really well? I actually have extra freezer space in our new house. With school getting ready to start again and my Pampered Chef business getting going, I think I better do some planning ahead! And after a week of over-indulgence on vacation, I'm ready to hop back on the wagon. I'd like to work on these this weekend. What recipes do you suggest freezing? (Oh and please tell me if you freeze before or after cooking, etc....I'm new at this! )
Old 08-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #2  
Southside White Sox Fan

I freeze all of mine after cooking. Usually we eat them the night I cook them and then I freeze the leftovers for another meal or split them up into lunch sized portions.

Smothered barley chicken

White Chicken Chili

Sirloin/Bean Chili

Tamale Pie

Core Sirloin Meat Sauce (I freeze the sauce and cook fresh pasta)
Old 08-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Melissa, with your grill, you should do up a lot of extra meat and freeze it. Hamburger patties are a good one, and chicken can be thawed and either heated up to eat whole or cut up for fajitas or casseroles.

Also, buy bulk hamburger meat, go ahead and brown it, and then put that into portion freezer bags. Then you can thaw it out for spaghetti or dishes like that.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #4  
Melissa

Thanks gals!

So Kathy you freeze chicken and burgers after you've grilled them? I never thought about that!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #5  

Yes, I do. Chicken in particular, and then it's ready to use. We mainly use it for fajitas or casseroles, but also can eat it whole. I put it in a pan with a lid on it so that it'll keep the moisture.

For the hamburger patties, I used to grill a lot at once and then would take one out to put in my lunch. By noon, it was thawed and I would just heat it up in the microwave at work. It worked out fine.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #6  
Melissa

Great idea, thanks!
Old 08-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #7  
Melissa

Another question...probably a silly one....what do you freeze things in? I guess baggies for a lot of things, but what do you freeze tamale pie in Vickie? Or other such things?

Any more ideas ladies? I hope to do at least one or two tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:33 PM   #8  

Vickie has a vacuum sealer and some of them come with containers; I use the Gladware containers (some of the bigger ones if it's a casserole). When I use containers, then I wrap it in plastic wrap, and then in foil. Sometimes I put the whole thing in a big freezer bag. I just don't trust only having one of them.

If I'm freezing chicken breasts, I'll wrap each one in saran wrap, then put all together in a freezer bag. If I'm freezing hamburger meat, I'll put it in a freezer bag but make sure it's totally sealed, and sometimes will double-bag it.

You can't go wrong if you'll use two or three layers of different things. Maybe I'm paranoid but I like lots of stuff between my food and the cold air.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:54 PM   #9  
Melissa

Thanks Kathy!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:17 PM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

Melissa, here's the vacuum sealer that I own. Kathy...you have such a great memory!

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...14&search.y=13

This is my 3rd or 4th sealer. I just wear them out. This is the best own I've ever owned. I bought the Deni brand first and the vacuum just wasn't strong enough. First I freeze or semi freeze what ever I'm going to vacuum seal in a container. Then I pop it out and put it in a freezer bag and vacuum seal it. I'm with Kathy. If you are going to freeze without a vacuum sealer, I'd consider double freezer bags. I just got to the point where I'd end up throwing frozen food away before my vacuum sealer. I have very sensitive (307 pounds worth) tastebuds and nose. Freezer burn is yuck!

I know the vacuum sealer is expensive but it pays for itself. I hate to sound like a commericial! I go to Sam's and buy 5-6 pounds of boneless skinless chicken for $9.00 and then make packages for individual meals in the vacuum sealer bags. It will also let you reseal mylar snack bags (should you have any of those in your house!). QVC has more basic models of this brand of food saver if you don't want to make this big of an investment for your first one.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #11  
Southside White Sox Fan

Poop! Mine is the first one in the list for $149.88.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #12  

I have had a vacuum sealer on my Christmas list for the last several years; this year I think I'll bump it up and make sure MIL knows. She's always begging for a list, then gets whatever she wants to get. Why ask??
Old 08-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #13  
Melissa

I would love to have one too! Unfortunately that's not in the budget right now. Oh well, maybe a Christmas present like Kathy said!
Thanks for the info Vickie.
Closed Thread