Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #1  

Question Are they telling me the truth?

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the posts for weeks now, and thought I take the plunge and post. Everyone here seems so nice and supportive. It's a really nice board to visit. I'm doing LA weightloss and going to the center. I have only lost 4 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks. They told me today that I will NOT lose, if I don't continue with the bars. I told them today, that in the past, when I've lost weight, I've had to limit my sugar intake (I'm hypoglycemic and all that sugar makes me sluggish). They told me that the bars speed up weightloss because of all the good soy in them. Is this REALLY true?? I know my body better than they do, and I'm thinking about just telling them that I don't want the bars. They have way to much sugar in them anyway, and I've been subing them with LUna bars. But I don't want to have to depend on a bar, and I'm not losing weight because of them I think. Any suggestions would be so very much appreciated.

I'm on the purple plan, and I exercise 3 days a week.

Breakfast every day is usually yogurt, 1/2 cup oats, few walnuts (my fat), and somtimes berries. I must eat oats and walnuts for my high cholesteral

Lunch
is always usually an approved Lean Cuisine during the week (i've started back teaching and the frozen meals are so handy). ON the weekends I eat grilled chix or something. And fruit

Dinner: Is usually 2 half cups of broccoli or green beans or something, 6oz chicken or some other approved meat, and fruit.

I've been doing the Luna bars, up until today.

Oh, and I get in 64 oz water daily.

Thank you kindly to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Blessings,

Jackiemarie
Jackiemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:50 PM   #2  

Hi Jackiemarie!! and welcome!

I've been on-program since January 1 and was down 31lbs (gained 5back during vacation). I lost pretty fast at first , then it slowed down when I exercised. I do NOT do bars.

They have tried to tell me several times that I would loose faster if I used the bars, but financially I could not swing it and the southbeach diet , other bars tend to give me migranes.

IMO, if you can believe it I think the exercise might be slowing you down (muscle weighs more than fat) -- I was a victim of this as from April til June, I stayed the same -- very very fustrating; but I was also starting to use weights.

I also had problems when I used alot of frozen dinners -- maybe try to limit them to 1x-2x a week.

Good luck and dont give up -- many people here have had great success with the program --
Sue1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:01 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

No, it isn't true at all. You will lose-because the plan is a low calorie one. They are simply trying to get a sale-they are a business, after all, and profit is part of that.

Actually-2 pounds a week, which is what LAWL tries to achieve with their members-is at the HIGH end of healthy weight loss. A healthy weight loss is 1/2 to 2 pounds per week...and by losing 4 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks-you are actually doing JUST PERFECT. Not everyone loses 2 pounds a week like clockwork. Please don't worry-4 pounds in 3 1/2 weeks is wonderful.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #4  
Katie

Height: 5'1

I cannot do the bars for health reasons, and I have had a lot of success on the plan. Also, if you have blood sugar problems, the bars could be slowing you down. See, they will cause an insulin spike, and when your insulin is high, your body stores fat. I would tell your center that you refuse to do the bars and insist on an all food plan. They will probably bump you up to red.

Welcome to 3FC!!!
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

LAWL is a good program for many. It definately has the accountability factor many need along with support. I have heard MANY people not do the bars. They do usually get bumped up to an all food plan. If there is another LAWL center nearby, try visiting it and see if you get less sales pressure (some don't try to sell as hard as others). Once you get on the right plan, likely they will ease off anyway. Yes, they are a business. I also agree that 2lbs a week guarantee is a little high. Sure some people do it. Sure some lose 2lbs sometimes (I did). Most of the time less is the average healthy weight loss.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #6  
on LAWL

Height: 5'6

I would definitely cut back on the frozen meals for a while and see if that helps--lots of sodium. Tell them to put a note on your chart not to push sales--mine did. Just tell them you know about the products and if you decide to try something you will let them know. Even at my highest weight I rarely lost 2 lbs per week--maybe the first few on plan. And the closer I get to goal the slower it gets. DO NOT let it stress you out. Some will, most won't. Remember the more you have to lose the faster it will come off. I have learned one of the most damaging things you can do to yourself is compare your losses to someone elses. Good Luck--and hang tough with your center--remember they work for you!
Boo'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo'sMom
Remember the more you have to lose the faster it will come off. I have learned one of the most damaging things you can do to yourself is compare your losses to someone elses.

This is SOO true. A lot of women here at 3FC get jealous when they see someone who has lost 3-4 pounds in a week's time...or who is having larger losses than they-but a lot of times this is due to them starting out at a larger weight. When they get smaller, the weight loss will slow down. The last 10 pounds often come off REAAALLLY slow...even as slow as 1/2 pound per month. This isn't because anything is wrong, your body just uses less calories the less you weigh, so it takes a lot longer to create enough deficit for a loss.

Also-Katie is the PERFECT example of a successful member here who has done LAWL without the Lites.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:03 PM   #8  
Katie

Thanks Aphil, how nice of you!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:08 PM   #9  
Losing the Weight!

I agree with everyone here, you're probably going to need to cut out, or at a minimum cut back on the frozen meals. They are WAY high in sodium and that could be a problem.

I'm on Purple plan with no bars (I started January 17, 2006)and I've been losing about 1 to 2 pounds per week (I think the average is 1.7 or something like that). Until I went on vacation this was consistent. However right now some things have changed, the Dr. lowered my dose of water pills and BP meds and now I'm retaining water. MY COD keeps trying to tell me that one rib of celery is doing it, but I think that's BS. I've been doing 1 rib of celery for quite some time in my salads and its never been an issue before.

In my case I KNOW its the change in medications.
StargazerJMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:09 PM   #10  
on LAWL

Aphil--I like to think of myself as "frustrated" not jealous--LOL. JK--I am often green with envy over how easy it seems for some!
Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 PM   #11  
Katie

Oh, it used to be so easy. I was one of those girls who the lbs just fell off of for a long time. Now I fight for 1 lb at a time. Fuuny how that is, huh?
Old 08-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #12  

I usually lose the first 10-20 pounds almost effortlessly when I start out after each of my pregnancies...then I go through the stage where I lose about a pound a week...and once I get down to about 175-to go any lower I have to work for each and every pound. It goes VERY slow after that...sometimes not having a loss for a month or more before the scale drops a pound or two. I have to REALLY concentrate on "non-scale victories" such as muscle definition showing up in my body...or being able to do something fitness-wise that I couldn't before...or a full week of being 100% on plan with my eating and exercise and giving myself a reward for that...because it IS frustrating to work so hard and have the weight loss happen so slowly.

I just try to keep thinking that I am learning the lifestyle changes to keep the weight off for life...and try to find some small bit of comfort in that.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM   #13  
Katie

See, I think that is the best attitude to have. There is no "I can't wait to get this weight off so that I can inhale cupcakes and chips". Making a permanent lifestyle change is the ONLY way.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #14  
Bring sexy back

Height: 5'6"

One thing I noticed...How are you counting half a cup of oats? That seems like it would be more than 2 starches since 1/2 cup of cooked oats is 1 starch. My oatmeal box says 1/2 cup dry is 150 calories, so that could maybe be a problem if you are counting as one, esp with blood sugar problems.
Dairy Fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #15  
on LAWL

Dairy--how are you feeling?? Good to see ya! We miss you around here.