08-06-2006, 01:35 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego
Originally Posted by Kontessa
Was wondering if someone knew: What is the reason for Oranges? I have read before the acids are not good for a belly prone to heart burn.
There's a lot of info here, but to summarize the chapter, oranges are a super food because:
- Oranges contain Vitamin C, fiber, folate, limonene, potatssium, polyphenols and pectin
- There are studies that suggest that oranges support heart health and prevent cancer, diabetes, stroke and a host of other chronic ailments
- 20-30% of America's adults have marginal blood levels of vitamin C and 10% are reportedly deficient
- Vitamin C is water soluable and not retained in the body, so constant replenishment from dietary sources is necessary
- Citrus flavanoids are found in the tissue, fruit, pulp and skin (which is why eating whole fruit is better than drinking juice), they are antioxidant and antimutagenic (the ability to prevent cells from mutating and initiating one of the first steps in the development of cancer)
- Two of the flavanoids in citrus (naringin in grapefruit and hesperidin in orange) occur only rarely in other plans and are essentially unique to citrus
- Rutin, a flavanoid found in citrus and black currents, has an anti-inflammatory effect, helps protect capillaries from age-related breakdown
- A study found that drinking a glass of orange juice daily reduced the risk of stroke by 25%
- A human clinical trial showed that orange juice was shown to elevate HDL (good cholesterol) while lowering LDL (bad cholesterol)
- Citrus fruits (especially tangerines) are one of the richest sources of high quality pectin (present in the white lining of citrus fruits) a type of dietary fiber
- Pectin is good for reducing cholesterol and stabalizing blood sugar, an orange contains 3 grams of dietary fiber
- Oranges also help prevent cardiovascular disease by supplying folate (also called folacin or folic acid), folate is one of the B vitamins
- Folate defiency is known to be among the most common vitamin deficiencies in the world
- Folate plays an important role in the prevention of cardiovascular disease, essential for the maintenance of normal DNA and also plays a role in the prevention of colon and cervical cancers and possibly breast cancer
Here's another website for nutritional info about oranges
SIX YEARS at maintenance weight!
My very long weight loss story
"I saw an angel in the marble and I chiseled until I set it free."