South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default What habits have you changed permantly since SBD?

I was eating dinner last night and after I ate 1/2 of a cauliflower-not 1/2 a cup but half of an entire head, lightly steamed with a some salt and pepper I realized that prior to sbd, I wouldn't eat that much vegetable in a day let alone at one meal.

It got me to thinking about what other things I automatically do now:

all bread is whole grain with 2-5 g of fiber per serving.

most of my shopping cart is fresh bright colored veggies and fruit.

I don't shop down the inner aisles of the grocery store much any more.

I've found many different organic markets to get my beans, lentils and whole grains in bulk and much cheaper. (Down side of that: I've discovered pantry mothes. Yuck.)

Peanut butter is natural, I grab it at Trader Joe's along with no sugar added jelly and jam.

Fish is no longer a 4 letter word. I eat it at least once a week.

I've worked on the emotional aspect of eating, when I'm irratated with dh, eating a box of triscuits isn't going to make it better. And I've developed some other hobbies so I don't boredom eat.

Exercise-well that's a little tricky. I've tried to build it into my activities of daily living, take the stairs instead of the elevator, get off the bus one stop ealier and walk home. Walk intead of driving if it close, stuff like that.

What has changed permantly with you?

Sarah
Old 08-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #2  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

I would have to second everything you mentioned.

I've been doing SBD since April 2005.

I eat more veggies then I have in my life. I've learned I like a lot of different veggies.
I cook more than I ever have in my life.
I used to be a bread addict, now I eat it only on occassion. Not daily all day long.

I don't miss my old over eating, fast food, crappy food choices!!!!! That's the craziest thing.

SBD taught me how to eat right! It's a lifestyle now!
Old 08-04-2006, 10:57 AM   #3  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Although I have a hard time strictly sticking to SBD, I have to say:
I eat SO much fruit and veggies. I always knew I liked them, but now I don't have to make myself eat them.

I wouldn't even think about eating white bread. Yuck!! 7 grain tastes so much better anyway!

I think about how things taste. Life is too short to eat stuff that tastes yucky (like most fried foods).

Jessie
Old 08-04-2006, 11:30 AM   #4  

Great thread!

I only eat whole grains. It tastes so much better. Even Brian will eat the whole wheat tortillas now.
I eat a LOT more fruits and veggies. Brian eats many he didn't before and I think nothing of fixing one that he will eat that I don't if I am fixing one that I will eat that he doesn't.
I can't remember the last time I bought anything that was in a box. When they do the Boxtops for Education at school we rarely have anything we can contribute.
I rarely eat out and when I do, I almost always stay OP. I can't remember the last time I ate anything fried. I used to love fried foods.
I no longer have my stomach torn up by the fats that I consumed. I feel so much better.
I no longer take medicine for blood pressure. My entire wardrobe has changed. I can wear the wedding dress I wore at age 19 but the one from age 33 is huge on me.
I miss exercise when I don't get to go several times a week. Brian loves to exercise with me.
Even though DH still has a lot to lose, he has now lost enough that he can use my treadmill without being over the 275 pound weight limit. (Now if I could only get him to use it).
I make more trips to the grocery store now. I just have to pick up fresh produce and veggies during the middle of the week. I own more spices than ever before and I use some I would never have thought of. I keep fresh ginger and garlic as staples now. Brian asks for salad. There are so many permanent changes that I can't even think of them all!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

I have to agree with Jessie...food needs to taste great. I'll choke something if I know it's good for me but I crave rich, full flavored foods more often than fast food.

I taste the grease in foods made with shortening now - so I avoid them!

I make lots of trips to the grocer - fresh veggies and spices are important.

I use my broiler a lot more and go through cookbooks and websites a lot more.

I actually TAKE my vitamins

I park far from the store and walk.

I stretch between clients and make sure I get enough water.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #6  
I can do this!

Sarah, great topic!

I discovered pantry moths too. <sigh> I love our co-op too much to stop going, though! We got some pantry moth traps from Lowe's (they're safe to use around food...just sticky stuff and some moth phermone) and put a bunch of food that attracts them in plastic containers or zip-loc bags and it seems to have done the trick. Haven't seen any in a couple weeks now.

Be careful with fish consumption. Mercury is a very real issue, especially if you are or are considering ever becoming pregnant. I knew about it and was only eating two cans of tuna a week (no other seafood or fish) when I started SBD. That's the official 'safe' level of fish for women who are considering pregnancy. I then participated in a Greenpeace study of mercury in hair samples. Mine showed that I had elevated levels of mercury. Anything under 0.03 was considered safe, between 0.03 and 1 was considered high, over 1 meant that you needed to see a doctor. I was at something like 0.86. Yikes!!! I've cut all fish out of my diet now. I do take fish oil capsules, though, specifically using a brand that eliminates mercury and other toxins.

Things that have changed for me:
  • I actually eat veggies! And like them!
  • I try very hard to 'park farther away', use stairs when I can, etc.
  • I feel uncomfortable at the thought of a meal without veggies.
  • I've found a love for a bunch of things I either hadn't tried (like quinoa, broccoli, and sweet potatoes) or hadn't had in a long time (like natural PB).
  • I reach for protein and veggies first rather than sweet things when I'm hungry.
  • I drink a ton of water!
  • I exercise regularly.
  • I shop differently...the veggies in my cart aren't all for my rabbits, there's very little from the inner aisles, but there's tons of fresh produce, stuff from the organic section, and yummy dairy.
  • I eat good yogurt and drink organic milk.
  • I eat wheat germ!
  • I can enjoy a meal without starches (who would've thunk it??? )
  • I don't drink caffeinated drinks with meals (caffeine reduces our ability to extract nutrients from food)
Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 PM   #7  
I can do this!

Think this is a great thread topic, so I'm bumping it! :
Old 08-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

So what do we do with our pantry moths?

Mine hatch, fly around, my cat chases them...I dig through my cabinets trying to figure out where they are coming from, toss out a few things and they keep coming back until I have absolutely nothing bulk left in my cabinets then they finally die out until the next summer when I foolishly think I don't have a problem with them anymore.

I think I finally have them erradicated for this summer-that corner cabinet is pretty bare right now.

Sarah
Old 08-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #9  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I started out on SBD, then back to WW, then bounced back and forth and now I do a combination of both. Here's what I've changed:

- If it can be made low-fat or fat-free, I choose that over regular, even though it costs more.

- If it can be made sugar-free (with a few exceptions.... some SF stuff is just gross) I will get the sugar-free instead of regular.

- All pasta, rice, breads, bagels, english muffins, crackers, etc are whole grain.

- I cook a lot more.

- I use ICBINB or Parkay margarine spray instead of butter (Don't try the Fat Free ICBINB in the tub.... it's kind of icky.)

- I eat veggies a lot more and try to incorporate them in whatever I'm cooking whether the recipe calls for them or not.

- I focus on fiber!!!! YAY FIBER! (And Beano.)

- I don't eat a whole lot of "processed" foods, although my fake meat does come pre-packaged. Hard for me to go out and kill that fake chicken or fake cow and prepare it that way. Those fake animals are just too quick!

- I very rarely have sweets unless it's my TOM, and even then, it's SF Reese's PB Cups out of the freezer.

- I focus on portion control and whether or not I'm still hungry. If the answer is "no," then I (usually) stop eating. I occasionally binge and gorge myself, but most of the time I stop.

- I gave up caffeine almost completely. Occasionally I'll have a Diet Root Beer or something on a Saturday morning to get myself moving, but I probably have 1 diet soda every 2-3 weeks. I don't need it. Sometimes it just tastes really good after a long night the night before.

That's about it!
Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 PM   #10  
Here we go again!

S/C/G: 319/319/150

Height: 5' 5"

NO SUGAR! I haven't missed it after the first day, but I read labels now and make choices that have no sugar. Which means diet drinks, instead of full sugar, no sugar in my iced tea, etc. I'm eating lots of fresh veggies, and am enjoying eating salad. Although after the 2nd day, I wasn't so sure about that. I'm starting Phase 2 tomorrow and already have whole grain cereal in the house for that. I also buy whole grain bread for the rest of my family. And if there's a choice, I get reduced fat/low fat/low calorie stuff instead of what I normally get. I don't buy junk food anymore and am brown bagging it. I am surprised at how quickly that all became 2nd nature to me.
Closed Thread