Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Default Meatless - Super food recipes?

I have been reading the book Super Food Healthy Lifestyle by Dr. Pratt and there are a lot of good recipes in there. Does anyone have any recipes both in the book and other places they have tried and like?

I am going to try the roasted tofu. My sister buys baked tofu which is bascially the same thing and uses it as meat on her salads. I am going to try to make it at home as I don't have baked tofu in my grocery store.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 AM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Did you see the Baked Acorn Squash with Quinoa, Tofu, Dried Apricots, and Walnuts on page 209? I'm making that as soon as I buy the sqash. Just reading it makes me happy!

We eat a lot of meatless side dishes with rice and soup as the main dishes. One of my favorites is sauted rapini ... I saute it with olive oil and garlic then add balsamic vinegar. YUM. Most of my soups have either a trace of meat or are made with a meat or fish based stock (strained clear or milky stock). I'll be watching this thread with interest to see what else I could be making.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:59 AM   #3  

Wink

i was ready to post a recips but went and read what superfoods is all about- so i have nothing for ya now but i will come back!
brownsugah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Here are a couple of vegetarian recipes for you:

Orange Ginger Tofu Stir Fry

1 lb tofu
1 cup fresh orange juice
¼ cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup shoyu (a kind of soy sauce)
2 tbs canola oil
2 tsp dark sesame oil
3 garlic cloves
1 tbs minced fresh ginger
¼ tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 scallion
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1 jalapeno
5-6 mushrooms
1 orange pepper
1 carrot
1 broccoli crown
1 onion
snow peas

In a medium bowl, wish together orange juice, vinegar, shoyu, oils, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes.

Place tofu in a baking dish in a single layer, cover with the marinade and sprinkle with the scallions and cilantro. Chop jalapeno and sprinkle on top. Marinate at least 30 minutes (up to over night).

Stir fry tofu with remaining ingredients and serve over brown rice.

Curried Vegetables

1 sweet potato, cut into small cubes
2 tbs olive oil
Carrots - I cut baby carrots in half, use about a cup
1 onion - cut into big wedges
Garlic - I use a freakish amount, whatever works for you
2 14oz cans of tomatoes, crushed with juice
1 can chickpeas, drained
2 heaping tablespoons curry powder
1 cup veggie broth
juice of one lime
salt, pepper
Veggies of choice - I've used green beans, broccoli, wilted spinach, parsnips (whatever floats your boat)
Brown rice

This dish isn't hard to make, just lots of chopping. I like to call it "every 15 minute curry" because you have to add something every 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees.

Cut up potatoes into small, dice-sized pieces. Coat a deep metal baking pan with PAM and drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil over the potatoes. Stick in the oven for 15 minutes.

While the potatoes are baking, cut up carrots and onion. After 15 minutes, take the potatoes out and give them a good shake. Scootch the potatoes to the edge of the pan and put the garlic, carrots, onion and chickpeas (and any veggie you are using you think will take a little longer to cook, like green beans) into the middle of the pan. Drizzle some more olive oil and stick it in the oven for 15 minutes.

Dump the tomatoes into a large bowl, crush them up and add the two heaping tablespoons of curry powder (of course, if you don't loooove curry like I do, use a little less).

Start the rice. I usually make 1 cup rice/2 cups water for 2 people.

Take the veggie mixture out of the oven, shake things up a bit. Arrange the broccoli around the rim of the pan (and any other veggies you have left that you think will cook in 15 minutes) and dump the tomato mixture all over everything (particularly the broccoli because it really soaks it up and gets DELISH). Stick in oven for YES 15 minutes.

Make broth.

After 15 minutes remove curried vegetables from oven and transfer them to a huge serving bowl.

Put the metal baking pan on the burner, add the broth and the lime juice and salt and black pepper to taste. Reduce the broth by half, stirring vigorously. (note, never cook this in a glass pan, I had a glass pan shatter on the burner, because I'm a spaz!!)

When the broth has reduced by half, pour over veggies. Serve them over rice!

Makes plenty for 2 people for 2 nights. One of my all time favorite things to cook (so easy, just lots of chopping).

Charcooked Vegetables with Spicy Sidekick Dressing

Grilled Veggies

1 red pepper
1 orange (or yellow pepper)
2 zucchini
4 corncobs
1 eggplant
olive oil

Spicy Sidekick Dressing

1 tbs olive oil
crushed garlic (I use a lot)
1 small onion, chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 small green chile, seeded and finely chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 inches of cucumber, finely chopped
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs lime or lemon juice (I usually use a little more)

Dressing

To make the dressing, heat the oil in a saucepan or skillet. Add the garlic and onion and saute gently until softened, around 3 minutes. Add the celery, chile and tomatoes, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.

Add the cucumber, tomato paste and lemon/lime juice and simmer for 8-10 minutes until thick and pulpy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Veggies

Cut the veggies into thick slices and brush with a little olive oil. Cook the vegetables on the grill for about 5-8 minutes, sprinkling them with salt, pepper and fresh herbs as they cook, turning once (under the broiler in the oven is okay too).

This dish is delicious served over brown rice with lime wedges to squeeze.

Spinach Chickpea Leek Soup

This is SO good and so fast and easy to make - makes plenty for several days. Great to make on a Sunday and eat all week.

1 tbs olive oil
2 leeks, sliced thinly (circles)
1 zuchini, chopped
minced garlic (I use tons)
2 14 oz cans tomatoes
small can tomato paste
1 bay leaf
3 3/4 cup veg broth
1 14 oz can chickpeas (gabanzo beans) drained
block of frozen spinach (thawed, drained)
1 tbs oregano
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
fresh parm cheese for topping

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add leeks and zucchini and cook briskly for 5minutes.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable broth, chickpeas and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Shred the spinach finely, add to the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season to taste. (the longer it cooks on the stove, the better it is). Remove the bay leaf, sprinkle with parmesan cheese (if desired).

Red bean and corn pita pockets

1 tbs olive oil
small onion, chopped
garlic, minced
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 14 oz can tomatoes, undrained
1 cup corn
1 cup canned kidney beans, drained
salt, pepper
whole wheat pita pockets

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan, add the onion, garlic and pepper, saute gently for 10 minutes. Add cumin and cayenne.

Mash in the tomatoes with their juice, cover and cook for 10 minutes, then add the corn and the kidney beans. Cook gently for a few minutes until hot. Season to taste with salt/pepper.

Warm the pita pockets in oven or microwave. Cut them in half lengthwise, gently open each half and fill with the red bean mixture and serve at once.

Also good with other vegetables and 2% sharp cheddar.

Soft Polenta with Spicy Tomato Sauce

1 quart water
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups minced onion
1 large portobello mushroom, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans Tomatoes (14 oz)
1/4 cup sherry
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups chopped green onions
Parm cheese, grated

In a small bowl whisk together 2 cups water with the cornmeal, quinoa and salt. Bring the remaining 2 cups water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Stir the cornmeal mixture into the boiling water, and continue stirring. Be careful! The polenta may spit and sputter and the hot bits of polenta can burn. Turn the heat to very low and cook the polenta for 40 minutes; stirring with a wooden spoon every 10 minutes.

Make the tomato sauce while the polenta cooks: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions. Cook the onions for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until they have softened.

Stir in the chopped mushrooms and the garlic, saute for 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, sherry, chili flakes and oregano. When the sauce comes to a boil turn the heat to low. Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

When the polenta has cooked for 40 minutes, sprinkle the green onions and grated cheese into the polenta. Stir well. Mound the polenta on plates, make a well in the center of each mound and ladle in the tomato sauce. Garnish with some cheese (if desired).

Spicy tomato sauce with fresh basil and veggie crumbles

3 cans 14 oz tom
1 can 12 oz tom paste
1 onion, diced
garlic (I use TONS)
1 tbs olive oil
Sun dried tomatoes
Fresh Basil
1 tsp dried oregano
Whatever else I feel like - black olives, mushrooms, carrots, zuch
1 package MorningStar Farm Crumbles
Salt
Pepper
Red Pepper Flakes
Splash of red cooking wine
whole wheat/spinach pasta

Saute onion/garlic for 5 minutes until translucent. Add veggie crumbles, dried oregano, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes. Brown the veggie crumbles - stirring often.

While the veggie crumbles are browning, put 2 cans tomatoes (with juice), tom paste, fresh basil and half the sun dried tomatoes into a food processor -blend until smooth.

Put the tomato mixture over the crumbles and stir.

Put the last can of tomatoes into the food processorand pulse until the tomatoes are chunky. Throw these in with the rest.

Add the rest of the sun dried tomatoes and any other additional veggies. Add a splash of red cooking wine. Simmer for 20 minutes. (I like to wilt spinach leaves at the last minute)

Serve over whole wheat pasta.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:35 PM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Yum! All of these recipes sound so good... I can't wait to try some. Glory, do you make your own vegetable stock? If so... will you share what you do.

I usually make chicken stock, beef stock, and fish/ seaweed stock but it has been a long time since I made vegetable stock.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

No, I've never made vegetable stock I might if I had a larger freezer. Sometimes, I sacrifice for convenience. If I could make an emormous batch and freeze it in 2 cup quantities, I might.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #7  
No description available.

Thanks for posting these, Glory! There are several I can't wait to try! I had to laugh about the glass pan. I tried to make fried rice in a pyrex dish once...not very bright! (I was a young, new cook) and when it shattered, it sounded like a shotgun had gone off.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have another one which is basically just a slight change of the bean salad I posted in the original superfoods thread.

Bean Salad #2
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 can of kidney beans
1/2 cucumber, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 vidalia onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

One thing you can also do with this salad is put it on top of lettuce to make a quick ready made salad. You could also add artichokes or avocado if you like. I love bean salads as they are so easy to make and so good.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:28 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, I have a great one from an older cookbook. I'll have to find it. It has several kinds of beans, onions, corn, chiles and chile powder. Nicely spicy without being so hot you can't taste anything else. Every place I take it, I need to take the recipe too. I'll put it up tonight when I get home.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote