Old 07-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 289/289/269 mini goal weight

Height: 5'8

Default Can someone reccomend

A good 100 % whole wheat bread? I am not wild about white bread and never have been I always bought it though cause that is what my mom always bought and it seems like everyone in the world buys white bread! I am not a fan of the taste.. It has nothing to do with carbs and stuff. I also love rye bread But I am the only one in the house that likes it, so it turns fast.. Thanks
Tiffany
TiffanyinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Tiffany, since you are in Massachusetts, you might have access to "The Baker" brand. They are from NJ and sell in stores in the Northeast. They have the best whole wheat bread products I've ever seen. Nutrients are great, ingredients are great and calories are great. You might want to look at a local health food store for other brands if you don't see "The Baker" in your regular grocery stores. (They are in the regular grocery store, but they have a stand of their own, usually in the bread aisle)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 AM   #3  

I like the Sarah Lee whole grain breads... expensive but good.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/289/269 mini goal weight

Height: 5'8

Hi Nelie I see you are in Maryland.. I used to live there! I grew up there. I moved to Mass about 10 years ago.. Where are you in Md if I may ask. I grew up in Dundalk and have family in the Glen Burnie area.. I have heard of Bakers I am sure I have seen it. Amanda, I love Sara Lee brands also but, they don't sell them in this part of Ma that I have seen. Thanks for the help..
Tiff
TiffanyinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #5  
Just Me

Tiff, I'm in the Gaithersburg area. I just moved here last year. Its hot hot hot.

For whole wheat breads, just read the ingredients. A lot of them add sugar and sugar products especially corn syrup. The one thing I liked about "The Baker" bread is that they don't add sugar or try to hide the fact that they add sugar. They do have honey whole wheat hamburger buns which are really good but still half the calories of most other hamburger buns.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie
Tiff, I'm in the Gaithersburg area. I just moved here last year. Its hot hot hot.

LMBO. I moved from TEXAS to MD and it is NOT hot.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I use the Healthy Life brand. Lots of fiber, only 35-40 calories per slice, depending on which kind you get. Its good! I got it at Wal Mart. I'm sure you could probably find it somewhere near you.
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM   #8  

I've been using the Orowheat Lite bread simply because it is available at all the stores and is whole wheat and only 40 calories a slice. I haven't found any others here that are that low in calories.
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #9  

The best thing I have done is grab my mom's old bread maker. It is so easy, cost friendly, and the best part is that I know exactly what is going into the bread. You can make small batches of bread only you like, and the 100% whole wheat turns out great- no junk in there at all.
Pawn shops always have them, lots of recipies on line.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

My favorite bread products are called Ezekiel brand, but they may be regional to the midwest, I'm not sure. They're sprouted grain and very dense, very good.

I'd check the Nutrition Facts ... my standard for bread is that for every 15 grams of carbohydrate, it must have 2 grams of fiber.

amyn, I'm tempted to get a bread machine! Yummmmm
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #11  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I don't eat a lot of bread these days, but when I do I enjoy Milton's Whole Grain or Whole Wheat breads. I prefer the Whole Grain one taste-wise. 1 Slice = 90 calories...5g Fat...16g carbs...4g protein...5g fiber...3g sugar. Pretty good for bread, imo!
http://www.miltonsbaking.com/bread_p...rain_bread.htm

I've also heard great things about the Ezekial bread that phantastica just mentioned. I might have to try it soon.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:39 AM   #12  
Just Me

I tried ezekiel bread before and it is pretty good. Usually, health food stores like Wild Oats and Whole foods carry it.

Here are the stats on "The Baker" whole grain bread
Calories 50
Total Fat 0.50g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 90mg
Potassium 30mg
Total Carbohydrate 8g
Dietary Fiber 3g
Protein 5g

Their website also has a store locater (http://www.the-baker.com). Their bread is very dense as well. I do have to say I am in love with their products. I recently bought something they call "Yoga Bread" which is a cranberry, pumpkin seed bread that has all sorts of good stuff in it, including flax seed all for 70 calories a slice.

Although I've considered buying a bread machine, I'll give myself the benefit of convenience with bread, especially considering I don't eat a lot of it.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:43 AM   #13  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Nelie, I'm up in Germantown. We're neighbors! *grins*

I have to get whole grain bread for my daughter. She very seldom has white bread. She needs the fiber. But she doesn't like any with "nuts" (anything lumpy inside it, which includes a lot of the seven-grain breads that don't actually have nuts but have bits of cracked wheat in them). So I try all sorts of kinds.

There are a LOT of whole grain breads coming out recently. Wonder has a whole wheat that's very soft. There's a whole grain potato bread that okay. I second the Sarah Lee recommendation. And I always look at the low-carb breads, because not only are they usually whole grain, but they often have added fiber (which is what we need for Gem).
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #14  
Just Me

synger hey! We might move to Germantown next year when we buy a place. I thought it was a funny name for a city when I moved here but I like it.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:21 AM   #15  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

From Wikipedia:

"n the 1830s and 1840s, a large number of German business owners, some of whom were immigrants from Germany and others relocating from Pennsylvania, settled where the roads, now known as Liberty Mill and Clopper, intersect. While most of the local landowners and farmers were English, travelers remembering the accents of the shop-owners called the area Germantown, and the name stuck. "

Fun, huh? There's still a Lancaster Dutch Market (Amish/Mennonite) in the area, which has a tremendous butcher and an amazing cheesemonger, and the baker... oh, my goodness, but the Mennonites know how to make pies! *licks her lips*

we really like the area.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote