Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 AM   #1  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Micro Greens! RAVE!

I just found these at Trader Joes and have to rave about them! I've been trying to get more greens into my diet, they're so good for us but I just can't get past the strong smell and flavor. These plants are a form between "sprout" and "baby" and are known to have an even more concentrated form of the nutritional benefits. They were $1.99 for two 1cup servings, but apparently are very easy to grow yourself, just like sprouts or herbs.

I highly recommend these, they can go in salads or mixed into other recipes very well.

Here's a site for more info:

http://www.sproutpeople.com/seed/microgreens.html

Enjoy!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:41 PM   #2  

Sprouts and micro-greens are commonly used in Indian Vegetarian diet. Mung bean sprouts, fenugreek sprouts and micro-greens are my absolute favourites.

rather than the fancy and expensive (relatively) things you get in TJ's , I prefer making these at home. get the mung beans/wheat/rice/hard red beans/hard chickpeas/lima beans/fenugreek seeds etc...(you get it cheaper if bought in bulk and in Indian grocery store).

Soak a handful or two overnight with double the water. Then drain and tie the beans in a cotton cloth/thin towel. secure tight with a string/rubber band. now put this in a bowl and cover with lid. Store in a warm dry place for atleast 18 hours.

sprouts are ready! for micro-greens keep 6 hours longer.

U can add these in salads, sandwiches, soups, stirfries, eat raw (salt and pepper), in noodles etc etc... I cook them lightly with indian spices!!!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote