South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #1  

Default bars

Are "bars" ok? for years I've kept a supply of bars- AdvantEdge or Pria low carb, or Zone type bars, in my desk for when I forget lunch, when I don't have time for lunch (frequent) of when I'm tempted to go to the candy machine at work.

is this ok?
Old 07-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 270/212/170

Height: 5'9

Hi Rebel, I don't think that bars are a good idea if you were looking for a meal replacement....But I use them for a snack when I'm out or like you said if I want chocolate, it is better than a candy bar. The ones I've been getting (and are wonderful!!!) are the russell stover cereal bar. They are sugar free and here is the info for the granola, but there are many flavors with comparable nutrition (blueberry, apple/cinnamon, cinnamon bun---which is my favorite)

Sugar Free Chewy Granola Cereal Bars
Five bars of chewy granola packed with 18 vitamins and minerals.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Bar (31g)
Total Servings 5 bars
Calories 90
Calories from fat 40
Total Fat 4.5g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 45mg
Total Carbohydrates 20g*
Dietary Fiber 7g*
Sugars 0g
Sugar Alcohols 10g*
Protein 1g
Ingredients: Polydextrose, soy protein crisp {soy protein isolate, calcium carbonate}, maltitol syrup, maltitol, sorbitol, rolled oats, cocoa butter, chocolate, almonds, isomalt, coconut oil, sodium caseinate (milk), milk fat, inulin, erythritol, calcium carbonate, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sucralose, soy lecithin, FD&C colors yellow #5 & #6, Blue #1, Red #40, acesufame potassium, 18 vitamins and minerals.

*Net carbs as listed by the manufacturer on the package = 3g per serving.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:53 PM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Not good at all for a snack OR a meal replacement. Very highly processed and FRANKENFOOD. Dr. A. says no commercial bars or shakes.

The purpose of this lifestyle plan is to eat as healthy as possible and that may mean avoiding convenience foods.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

even the southbeach bars from Kraft? I am just trying to think of good snacks that don't have to be refrigerated to keep in my desk when the school year starts up. Those dang candy machines are just so tempting, and I am not sure how close the closest fridge will be.

Not to use as a meal replacement, but say a snack mid morning?

Louren
Old 07-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

I've been eating the south beach bars when I mountain bike. It's 2 plus hours of riding and I need an easy snack that I can carry with me in my shirt pocket. They are processed but it's not nearly as bad as what I use to eat. There are also bars like Luna and cliff that are more natural or even organic and very tasty. The carbs may be high and I have no clue where they stand on the sugar free thing but I know they aren't as processed as others. I have no idea if this helped at all - I think I mostly rambled. Sorry
Old 07-27-2006, 10:05 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I've gotta be honest, not only are bars highly processed, but they really don't ever fill you up. I could eat 20 of them and still be hungry. Plus, the ingredients in them give you a quick high and that means a quick low, which means hunger...I'd avoid them as much as possible.

Here are some great snacks to keep in a drawer...you have tons of other options if you have a fridge at work:
  • Soy nuts (I love the roasted ones with sea salt)
  • Homemade Sugar Free granola (keep some SBD-safe yogurt in the fridge to add this to, or put nuts in the granola for protein)
  • Nuts (be careful that you don't eat too many...)
  • String cheese (pretty much okay for one office day...especially if you have a/c)
  • Fruit (several will be okay in a drawer for a couple days...make sure you eat it with protein to avoid a blood sugar spike)
  • Veggies (several will be okay in a drawer for a couple days...like bell peppers, grape tomatoes, cucumber, etc. Just keep a knife at work to slice them up and some hummus or dip in the fridge to dip them in!)
  • Tea (you'd be amazed what a cup of tea can do for your hunger at work! I kept decaf creme caramel tea at my work along with a small container of SF caramel syrup. I'd make the tea, add a tiny bit of 1% milk that I kept in our mini fridge, and the syrup. It was like a dessert!)
  • Sweet Potato Chips (these are the best choice, but better than some...look for ones with canola or other good oils and very few ingredients)
  • Whole grain crackers (Triscuits will do in a pinch, but there are some that are even better...I love these expensive organic ones called Dr. Something-or Other Krackers. Keep cheese in the fridge or in your drawer just for the day to go with)
  • Homemade baked goods...like WW muffins (Barb's recipe in the recipe forum is to die for!!!! ), a hearty WW cookie with nuts, a slice of zucchini bread, etc. Make sure you get some protein with these!

Hope that gets you started. If you have a cooler or a fridge, you can go to town with snacks from three bean salad to half a sandwich. And don't forget a can of lentil soup...you can heat that in a pinch if you have a microwave.

Get creative and remember Sandi's sig: "If you want it, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find excuses."
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #7  
Recovering Sugarholic

Height: 5'3"

Why don't you try making your own? These are from Ellie Kreiger who does the show "Healthy Appetite" on Food Network. You could substitute SF syrup to make it SBD-okay. If you freeze them, you can drop one into your bag in the morning and it would be nice and thawed for a good snack or quickie lunch.

Cooking spray
1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1/2 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pitted dried dates
1/2 cup powdered nonfat dry milk
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
Place all ingredients except the syrup and eggs in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped. Add the syrup and eggs and pulse until the mixture is well combined. It will resemble a coarse paste.

Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Bake until just done, about 20 minutes. Cut into 20 squares.

Nutritional Analysis per Serving Calories 133
Total Fat: 5 grams Saturated Fat: 0.6 grams
Protein 5 grams Carbohydrates 20 grams
Fiber 2.5 grams

Reminds me that I keep meaning to make these myself!!

Jessie
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #8  
Skinny(er) by Thirty?

S/C/G: 192.2/163.8/154/135

Height: 5' 6"

Jessie- those look delicious! I will definitely be making those!

I will find out soon if there is a fridge easily accesable. Sadly, we only have a few minutes between classes, and I will need to be on duty in the halls, making sure students are doing what they are supposed to be (going to class) and not doing what they aren't (making out, fighting, etc.).

Laurie - sadly, I have to limit my soy intake due to the thyroid medication I am on.

That is actually the kicker that makes this whole weight thing more fun. A portion of the weight came on as a result of my thyroid slowing and eventually shutting down entirely. (the rest of the weight came on from my penchant for breakfast potatoes in college, free lattes while working at a coffee house, and then when starbucks introduced the green tea frappuccino? The End. That, and my old school was right next to the McDonalds drive thru. Torture!). I have also recently discovered that my body is not getting enough B12 and Folic Acid, so I have to take supplements for those, and also my Dr. has be taking Kelp to help with the thyroid issues. Yum.

I am slowly getting used to regular coffee as opposed to my good friend the vanilla latte. I had been drinking them nonfat since doing WW 3 years ago, but now was getting them nonfat and sugarfree, and really, I just like the regular coffee with splenda and nonfat milk better sometimes!

Thanks for all of the support!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Louren - a good bit of my weight has to do with my thyroid too. managing stress has played a huge part in helping it stay happy. When my adrenals are shot - my thyroid takes a vacation. It's shocking how fast I can gain weight! I'm also treating my naturally. I take B12 and Iodine. (no allergies to that, at least ) I also take a thyroid tissue supplement that seems to really help. I take C for my adrenals and take lots of stress breaks but that's easy in my work and the longer I'm in it, the less stress I seem to have. Nice side effect!!
Closed Thread