South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 11:35 PM   #1  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Default Carbs - how much is enough???

Does anyone know how many carbs should actually be eaten/day? I actually don't know what a recommended daily value is. I know it depends on how much activity you engage in to keep from buring protein for fuel, but as a general rule, how much should be consumed daily? I'm trying to set up goals in fitday.com and would like to ensure I input the correct value.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

That's a really hard question. As you know South Beach focuses on slow carbs and good carbs rather than limiting carbs. I am in Phase II (most of the time!) and my carbs/fat/protein is usually 1/1/1. I guess you have to experiment and see how it affects you.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:32 PM   #3  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Thanks.....I know it's a toughy since it's really not the amount so much as it is what you eat and how it affects your weight loss.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:49 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Renea, it really is a tough question! The thing is, each body works so differently! I do best on one fruit and one starch a day, but often eat a lot of carb-heavy beans and don't see any side effects from that. My carbs are usuallly the lowest percentage of my calories, but even on days when it's the highest, I don't see a marked difference in my weight loss or cravings.

I'd try to focus more on what you're eating than how much, per se. Obviously, calories count...and fitday helps you keep those in check. But, IMHO, don't stress too hard about the percentages of carbs, fat, and protein...okay?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Renea - DF and I have noticed we have very different carb volume needs. He can get all of his carbs eating the same veggies and foods that I was eating on phase one and feel wonderful - even in long workouts. I, on the other hand was exhausted! I had to move to phase 2 early so I could add more of the right carbs and not feel so weak and fainty in my workouts. (I hate to admit it but my workouts aren't even that hard yet!). I feel MUCH better since adding the carbs and haven't gained any weight. I don't know what I've lost because I'm only weighing monthly now.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I do best with a 40/30/30 ratio when I track on fitday. 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein.

Sarah
Closed Thread