Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 11:31 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Week of July 17th

Well gang I'm po'd, really and truly po'd. Remember not too long ago that I was telling you about getting a referral to the bariatric clinic? There was an article in the paper about this clinic. Not that it is something bad about the clinic or what it does but our government in its infinite wisdom is barely giving any money to this program even though obesity is probably the biggest health problem in North America today. This clinic is operated by the country's leading doctor in obesity and it is only open 2 days per week and only half days at that. They don't have the staff or space to take on more than about 200 patients and there are 500 people on the waiting list. There apparently was an information session at the hospital for 300 people who got letters from the clinic to inform them about this. I suppose they were like me, thinking that they could get a referral from the family doctor and have a wait of a few months, no actually the wait is anywhere from 1-3 years at present. Also if you do get in they start you on an Optifast type diet that you have to pay for, it is about $2700 which is keeper than Optifast I think but still. Also there are medications that you have to take that run about $150 but my insurance would pay for that but I'm not sure if it would pay the $2700. Now if they decide that you do require surgery you have to go to the US for it. This is one of the saddest things I have ever heard of in my life. Here I am living in a first world country, supposedly a country that has a health care system the envy of the world and this is how they are treating a health problem that affects at least 30% of the population if not more. The thing is that it isn't going to get any better and in the long run it is going to cost them probably billions giving care to these obese people who develop diabetes and heart disease and just about everything else you can think of. No, instead of spending money now they'd rather wait and hope we all lose weight by ourselves but you know most people aren't going to be able to do it without help so 20 years down the road they are going to need even more expensive treatment.

Anyway off my soapbox about that particular problem. So going to the bariatric clinic at this point doesn't seem like a viable option. It made me mad though, really mad and also mad at myself. I made up myself some motivational reminders to have around the kitchen and to take to work and I'm going to try to stick with my low cal diet again. So far so good today. The weekend was pretty bad as usual. It was so hot out, no one really wanted to do anything. Saturday we did a bit of yard work and went into town to go to the mall but yesterday we just mostly hung around inside.

How was everyone's weekend and what's the plan for this week??
Old 07-17-2006, 04:58 PM   #2  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Oh Jen, how frustrating. ::

My weekend was ok... some family drama is going on, and lucky me (ha ha), all the people involved decided to bring their issues up at my house. Ugh. I'm trying to stay out of things, but it's difficult when they all decide to "talk" (argue) in my family room!

Anyways, diet-wise, I'm doing OK. Right now I'm still just watching my portions and trying to behave. I'm still losing post-baby weight (swelling?) without a lot of effort. I'm sure that will plateau very soon, though, and then I'll have to get back on track with WW.

Have a great week everyone!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #3  

hi.
5 second post. killer headache. DH (d does not stand for dear) is trying to install an ac unit my gramma gave us at 10 PM. No manual, has weird rail bracket things, he wants me to look up the manual for 10 year old ac online, yeah not happening...since when does the man actually read a manual anyway? Does he even know HOW to read????!!!! going to bed
Old 07-19-2006, 03:55 AM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Misty - sorry you have a bad headache, hope you are feeling better. Did dh get the ac installed?

Amy - I loved those first few weeks when the baby weight came flying off!

Not much new with me. Same old, same old. Got to get a grip on this!
Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 AM   #5  

Good morning!!!!! I am sooooooo tired and I still have a headache. This is the 4th day. It was bearable yesterday and so far today, just annoying.

Jen-That is really frustrating and really stupid about the bariatric clinic. They are all over here. It doesn't make sense for the government to focus on other things. Have you talked with your primary doctor, maybe you could get a refferal for a nutrionist at least? You're strong and you can do this, I understand your desire for more help, but you can do it!!!!

Amy-I hope all is going well and your household has settled down after the drama. It's stinky they chose your home to let loose. How's the baby?

Well I am off to pick up the house a bit before the kids arrive. Yesterday was an easy day. The two older ones have been going to Vacation Bible school at the church nextdoor to our barn, and yesterday DH took my son to the eye doctor, so that left me with just the baby. He's had lots of company over the weekends and nobody ever puts him down, so when I do all he does is cry and cry. His mom rushes to him if he so much as squeeks. It's not that I never hold him, I do ensure he gets lots of play time and stimulation and cuddles, but I can't hold him all day. He weighs almost 30 pounds, and he's wiggley. The crying and whining is getting very old. Even my husband was like what is his issue?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #6  

Hey thanks for the advice on getting the ticker to work!

Sorry about the headache that can be so lousy! Is it very humid there? It sure is here today.

How old is the baby 30 pounds is a big boy. Of course you can not hold him all day.

Went to WW today one day early and only down one pound. But hey it is down. I can not get myself tied into these numbers but have to just look at the fact I am doing what I need to be doing to get healthy.

This leader had a homework page. Some good questions to ask self. What one thing do I need to get out of the house to keep me on program. What behavior do I need to stop because it sabatoges me. What do I need to buy to make this easier for me. This last question is important for me. I hate spending the money on WW when I think I should know and do all this without having to spend this money on meetings but it really made me think no I need to attend these meetings because even though I know it I don't do it when not reinforcing the info. So thanks for any support here and a place for me to vent. I need to find something else to do instead of emotional eating which is my big problem. So here I type hope you don't mind listening. Costs me nothing I am cheap.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #7  
WW online (pts plus)

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Luflic, that's exactly why I joined 3FC to begin with... too cheap to pay for WW meetings!

Nothing new and exciting here... the baby is doing well. He's so easy- just eats and sleeps, rarely cries or even fusses. My DD had severe reflux when she was a baby, so she cried a lot and had to be held upright for 45 minutes after every feeding... and even then she often threw up most of what she'd just eaten. So having an "easy" baby is really a blessing!
Old 07-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #8  

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

What a nutty week's it's been. I am no where near being on plan. The kids have a littel program fo rvacation bible school tonight. It's at 7:30. Dh was supposed to bring pizza home for dinner. It's only 6:12, but I have a feeling we're getting cold pizza after the program. He left work well before 5.

Any glad to hear the baby is doing well. My second one was so much easier, so happy, so easy going...until he turned 1. Now he's a terror!!!! He turns two next month. He's a sweet boy, always wakes up happy, but he's a BOY through and through. He is ALWAYS findiing screwdrivers and trying to "fik a washer", or climbing stuff, he litterally tried climbing the picture frames on the wall! So enjoy this sweet baby phase..you know how quick it goes!

Thanks for the info from teh meeting Luflic! I stopped going and I reallymiss it but I can't justify it right now. SO I love these little tid bits and tips!!!!

Have a fabulous weekend!! The balloon rally is in town this weekend, so we may go to that. DH is doing a bike ride tomarrow with his Uncles so he'll be gone all day probably. SO fun fun! Take care
Old 07-21-2006, 09:53 PM   #9  

This is huge for me. I am on track I am emailing from a hotel room because I need the accountability it would be easy and what I did before was to just stay gone until Monday. We are in Ohio because my pregnant daughers shower is tomorrow. Today with traveling and eating out I stayed on points. Yippee Skipppee I am so excited I did this. Wish I could bottle and sell this attitude so I could use it on my hunger days or emotional days or feel sorry for me days..... Thanks for listening. Amy that is wonderful your baby is good. What is babys name
Old 07-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #10  

Good Morning!!!

GREAT JOB LUFLIC!!!!!! I liek your bottling idea...if you perfect it let me know I could use some happy juice!!!!!!!

We had lots of fun at the VBS program, and DH even got dinner here just in the nick of time

The motorcycle ride was canceled due to rain, but then DH got a call from his dad early this am. First, Thursday my FIL's truck caught fire, something with th3 ABS system that was recalled years ago. Then on the way to an Aaron Tippin concert my in laws' car started to act up, so they stopped at my MIL's parents' house and borrowed thier car to get to the concert. On the way home from the same concert my BIL who had drove seperate swerved to miss a deer and put his truck over a bank. Luckily he and his date were ok, but they are trying to find a way to get the truck out. It's on a dirt road in the middle of no where and the local company that does all thier repairs doesn't seem to have 24 hour towing. So needless to say I won't see my husband anytime soon as he and his dad went to look at the truck. Plus his parents' are out of cars since they went through three of them in 2 days!!!

My best friend called and they are coming over tomarrow. So I need to clean. I guess we are going to do the balloon rally tomarrow. We probably won't get to see the baloons launch b/c it is raining today.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:20 PM   #11  

Well Misty you deserve some happy juice. Well sure didn't stay within my points today. Ahhhh but tomorrow is a new day.
What was VBS theme this year did the kids enjoy? Know mine use to love VBS. Hope the balloons are great they are so pretty when you get to watch them. No desire to go up in one at all do you
Old 07-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #12  

Hi!!

Well we had a busy but fun weekend! We got up at 5 am...well I got up at 5 am and got everything ready (clothes, cups, stroller, ect), then we got the kids up at 5:30 and we went and watched the baloons launch Sunday Morning. We were only 15 feet away from the one. I got lots of cute pics. Afterwards we went out for breakfast. Then my best friend, her husband and daughter came over for a few hours and we had a nice cookout. Whne they left we went over to the in laws.

Then today my inlaws were pouring cement for thier new porch and they had three or so extra scoops of cement so my father in law started a sidewalk infront of my house. When they pour the cementf or the steps of my in laws new porch they only need a small load but my FIL said he'd order more and finish the sidewalk!! It's a really nice red color cement called Dusty Rose or something. I think it will help a great deal with the mud tracked into my house to have the sidewalk.

So it's been a great few days. I am serisouly off plan. I just can't seem to get it together. Dh told me if I lose 75 pounds he'll buy me a bowflex. He said he wants to see me succeed and if that is the motivation I need he'll buy me that AND a motorcycle LOL.

I am trying to clean up my computer today. I have 9 gig of pictures on it. Plus like 2 gig on my laptop that I need to transfer over to my desk top pc. I have 4 gig of pictures from 2005, which I am burning to DVD now, then I'll take them off. Once I transfer my 2006 pictures from my laptop onto my desktop I'll burn Jan-June of 06 and remove those. It's as bad as cleaning my house LOL.

Well have a great day everyone!
Old 07-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #13  

Whoo whoo sounds like you got some happy juice. sometimes you just need some fun stuff. Sidewalk will be great to keep the mud at bay. I was back on track today so I am very pleased with self. Yesterday we went to Bob Evans for breakfast and thought I was not good but when calculated the points for two biscuits two sausage patties and two eggs it is 28 freaking points now that was an eye opener all my points my 10:00am emmm did great on the ride home and for dinner but still had 42 points for the day. How is that for going over but so proud that I tracked it and back on today that is a huge step for me. And here posting about it.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 AM   #14  

GREAT JOB Luflic!!!! It's hard traveling. I think you did very well!!!!! What part of Michigan are you in? I have family in Dearborn, some have now relocated to Toledo, Ohio, and DH's cousin lives in Neweygo...which I think is near Muskegon or where ever Gerber is. They have a elephant in thier HOUSE!!! She's the coolest thing!

It's going to be a weird week for me. Yesterday I only ha dteh baby for 2 hours while his mom took his brother to swim class. Today the older one goes to swim class again but will be with another babysitter in the am before the lesson and then the mom will bring him home to me. Well that's how it will be all week. Except Wednesday I have to go sign DD up for ballet. So I'll leave my son here with the in laws, and take DD and the baby into town, drop the baby off with the mom and take dd to registration. Then we'll all meet back here at my house for the afternoon. Then Thursday I have a 3:45 Dr appointment, so the lady I watch kids for will come home early and watch my two while I go to the dr. Then Friday after work I leave for my Gramma's house in NY for the weekend. Crazy week.

Ballet registration is only two days a month apart on a Wednesday from 11-1 or 3-5. What do parents who have to work out of town do? I think that is kind of dumb. You can mail in the registration but to buy shoes you ahve to be there in person. Crazy.

Well have a great day everyone!!!
Old 07-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #15  

How wonderful you get to go to NY my girls took ballet the costuming can get expensive but they look so darn cute.

My brother and sister inlaw live in Dearborn that is about 45 min. away.

Took an 85 year old to the dr. today that was my excitement . But staying on plan so yippee skippee

love the quote A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Confusious
I have taken the first step now pray I take the next!
Closed Thread