Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 03:28 PM   #1  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

Height: 5'7"

Default HCG injections/phentermine

Im just wondering.. has anyone here had any luck with, or heard stories about luck with HCG injections, combined with appetite suppressant.. "metabolic recovery".. ??

Ive been looking into the Transformations Advanced Medical Weight Loss clinic nearby. THis is what they do.

HCG injections are supposed to 'mobilize" fat cells, make the stored fat available for use for the baby when mom's are pregnant.

Apparently, this makes you not hungry, as you are using this available fat for energy..

You go on a low calorie/fat diet.. take the shots.. and use phentermine all together.. its medically supervised.. lab work, the whole nine..

Ive researched it quite a bit.. ive heard good and bad.. but the bad mainly says "this dont work" not that its harmful..

Any experiences? Thoughts? etc..
Old 07-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #2  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernurse_mommie
the bad mainly says "this dont work" not that its harmful

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/dietscams
---------
Human chorionic gonadotropin was legitimately used at the time to treat a condition called Fröhlich's syndrome, a hormonal imbalance that affects young boys, disturbing their sexual development, appetite, and sleep, and causing them to accumulate fat on the hips, buttocks, and thighs. Simeons reasoned that if the drug worked to melt away the fat on those boys with a rare genetic disorder, then it ought to do the same thing on normal, healthy women. The hormone, he wrote, would cause a "normal distribution" of fat on the body and would correct a "basic disorder in the brain." His diet book -- Pounds and Inches: A New Approach to Obesity -- included other gems of pseudo-medical advice, warning readers to eat no breakfast whatsoever, except for coffee, and to abstain from using any cosmetics or lotion on the body because it will be absorbed and added to the existing fat deposits in the body.

Simeon's treatment became all the rage; for a time, it was the most widespread medication given in the United States to lose weight, and was the main treatment used in eighty Weight Reduction Medical Clinics in California. Unfortunately, it didn't work: None of the mainly female patients seeking treatment, it turned out, were suffering from Fröhlich's syndrome. The medical establishment only started to become suspicious of the drug when reports surfaced that part-time doctors were being offered as much as $100,000 a year by weight-loss clinics to spend one afternoon a week sitting and writing pads of prescriptions for the drug.

By Laura Fraser
First published September 30, 2002
Last updated June 29, 2006
Copyright © 2002 Consumer Health Interactive
------------

Yes, HCG treatment is harmful: it's harmful to people who give it hope and then have that hope dashed, losing their money, time, and perhaps a bit of their belief that true weight loss is acheivable. Buying it because "at least it doesn't harm me" only encourages medical charletains who will just as happily prey on those who don't have the money to spend as those who can spend it easily. I've looked into this before, when the question came up in another forum, and all of the contolled lab studies I could find found no benefit to HCG in controlling weight versus a placebo, and those anecdotal success stories I read always included a "nutritional plan" which was needed to help the hormone work more effectively (and which just "happened" to be reduced calorie) and some sort of exercise along with the shots.

There are plenty of better places to spend your money to help with weight loss: a gym membership, top quality running or walking shoes, fresh fruits and vegetables, etc. This just isn't one of them.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #3  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

In the 80's I did HCG shots combined with a 800 calorie starvation diet at one of those 'clinics'. I lost 35 lbs. quickly and gained it back even quicker. Now that I'm older (and hopefully wiser) I would ask myself "Self - is it realistic to do this for the rest of your life in order to keep the weight off?" Obviously, the answer is "no".

In my opinion, when it comes to achieving and maintaining normal weight there is no substitute on earth for consuming appropriate amounts of healthy foods combined with moderate exercise. Simple as that.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #4  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

I'll bet that if you skipped the injections and went directly to the extremely low calorie diet, you'd get the same results. This issue is "will you be able to maintain your new weight?". Unless you hook into another program and/or figure out on your own how to manage food responsibly for the rest of your life, not only your body, but your wallet will be LIGHTER.
Best of luck.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:06 PM   #5  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

hmmm.. interesting.
Closed Thread