Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #1  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Talking Super Foods

I have been trying to eat more healthy and searched for the list of super foods by Dr. Pratt. I thought I would share this list from the super foods website. Does anyone here try to eat any of these foods each day? I have been trying to get in something each day. Lately I have been on a frsh blueberry kick with my oatmeal.

Also are sweet potatoes and pupkins close enough to be consider having the same benefits?

The following is cut and paste from the website:

SUPERFOODS RX focuses on foods that are high in micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients) instead of macronutrients (fats, carbs, proteins).

The fourteen SuperFoods and their possible benefits:

Beans – lower cholesterol, combat heat disease, stabilize blood sugar, reduce obesity, relieve hypertension and lessen the risk of cancer.
Blueberries – lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer, and help maintain healthy skin to reduce the sags and bags brought on by age.
Broccoli – boosts the immune system, lowers the incidence of cataracts, supports cardiovascular health, builds bones and fights birth defects.
Oats – lower cholesterol, reduce the risk of coronary heart disease & Type II diabetes, high in fiber and protein.
Oranges – support heart health and prevent cancer, stroke, diabetes and a host of chronic ailments.
Pumpkin – helps lower the risk of various cancers (lung, colon, bladder, cervical, skin, and breast) and supplies nutrients necessary for healthy, youthful skin.
Wild Salmon - lowers the risk of heart disease and cancer.
Soy – helps prevent cardiovascular disease, cancer, and osteoporosis, and helps relieve menopausal and menstrual symptoms.
Spinach – decreases the chance of cardiovascular diseases, a host of cancers, age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
Tea – boosts the immune system, helps prevent cancer and osteoporosis, lowers the risk of stroke, promotes cardiovascular health.
Tomatoes – lower the likelihood of cancer, raise the skin’s sun protection factor and seem to play a role in preventing cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Turkey – a perfect example of a Twenty-First Century "healthy" protein source, extremely low in fat, and provides multiple nutrients which help build a strong immune system.
Walnuts – reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
Yogurt – promotes strong bones and a healthy heart, another health promoting protein source, and a great source of calcium.

Here is the website:
http://www.superfoodsrx.com/fulldescription.html

Last edited by DollyR; 07-07-2006 at 08:40 PM.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #2  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi Dolly....a great reminder, thanks! I attended a seminar on healthy eating a few weeks ago, and all the items you listed were included in his presentation with the exception of turkey and pumpkin. I def. have more of the anti-oxident fruits and veggies now.
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #3  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

I've seen a list that was similar, but with a couple of different foods such as asparagus and almonds, if I recall correctly.

I eat 10 of those on your list regularly, with maybe 5 or 6 on a daily basis. I'm not supposed to eat oranges or tomatoes (doctor's orders), and I haven't had pumpkin for years, unless you count the not-too-healthy pumpkin loaf that I sometimes give in to.

I definitely don't think you can go wrong with any of those foods, including sweet potatoes.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:55 PM   #4  
No Excuses/No Whining!

S/C/G: 333/263/185

I was just thinking.. i dont think ive EVER had pumpkin that wasn't either in Pie form, or some yummy bread form. I dont suppose that is quite what is meant though..

How do you eat pumpkin?
supernurse_mommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:59 PM   #5  

Very Similar to the Abs Diet it sounds like...is anyone familar enough with the two to comment ???
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #6  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernurse_mommie
How do you eat pumpkin?
I would like to find out the same thing. I know pie and bread (unfortunately) but I wonder what is another way to cook it with out high fat and calories.....maybe mashed like other squash? Sprinkle some cinnamon on it?
Let me know if you find one. A search on the food network produced little non-dessert recipes or low cal recipes.
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #7  
No Excuses/No Whining!

I actually called my grandmother on this one.. she said mashed pumpkin is very good with some salt and butter.. im probably not gonna be game to try that one though..
Old 07-07-2006, 08:52 PM   #8  
Meg

Here's something I came up with :

Baked Pumpkin Custard

1 large can pure pumpkin (I think it's 29 oz)
1 1/2 cups low or nonfat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups Splenda
1 1/2 cups Eggbeaters
2. teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Process all in the food processor until well-mixed and smooth. Spray six custard cups with PAM. Divide mixture equally in cups. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Nutrition Info per serving

110 calories
1 g fat
12 g carbs
13 g protein
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #9  

Here is a pumpkin thing that I love especially in summer....

1 TBSP. SF/FF Vanilla Pudding
1 C. FF Cool Whip
1/4 c. Pumpkin

This is how I make it because I like the flavor...of course it can be changed a little with more or less of any ingredient....IT is yummy !!!
cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #10  
No Excuses/No Whining!

yum.. that sounds much better than .. mashed..
Old 07-07-2006, 09:00 PM   #11  
Meg

Cyclone, do you mean a cup of Cool Whip and a tablespoon of pudding? Or the other way around?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #12  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

wow, I never knew that you could eat pumpkin any other way besides the pies and breads! I don't know if I'd be able to try it mashed though :P
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I recently made 6 small foil loaf pans of basically pumpkin pie filling without the crust (I used the recipe on the Libby's Pumpkin can). I just used evaporated skim milk and Splenda instead of regular sugar. I used regular eggs instead of egg beaters (only because I didn't have any), and each serving has just a little over 200 calories. It makes a VERY heavy/filling snack. I looks, Meg, like yours basically just uses cottage cheese instead of the evaporated milk--might cut back the calories even more.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:52 PM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
Here's something I came up with :

Baked Pumpkin Custard

1 large can pure pumpkin (I think it's 29 oz)
1 1/2 cups low or nonfat cottage cheese
1 1/2 cups Splenda
1 1/2 cups Eggbeaters
2. teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt

Process all in the food processor until well-mixed and smooth. Spray six custard cups with PAM. Divide mixture equally in cups. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Nutrition Info per serving

110 calories
1 g fat
12 g carbs
13 g protein

I tried this yesterday. It was good! Thanks for posting it.

I'm reading the Superfoods RX book now. I'm trying to to add more servings of these foods each week.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #15  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I think I got this recipe from a post here somewhere....it's pumpkin pie without the crust...I don't really miss the crust...

Ultimate Pumpkin Pie

1 (15 oz.) Can Pure Pumpkin
5 oz. Fat Free Evaporated Milk
1/2 Cup Splenda Granular
2 teaspoons Pumpkin Pie Spice
2 Eggs
Fat Free Cool Whip (optional)

Combine all ingredients. Spray a pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Pour pumpkin mixture directly into pan. Bake @ 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool Completely. Serve with 2 Tablespoons of Fat Free Cool Whip if desired.

Serves: 8
Per Serving: 60 Calories; 1g Fat (19.0% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.
With egg beaters - 40 calories
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote