Old 07-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 289/289/269 mini goal weight

Height: 5'8

Default had a stressful night

Last night husband I was going over the bills.. The bills stressed us both out. He was upset because the bak made a big mistake and bounced 3 of our checks and the money was clearly in there. He will be on the phone with them today!!!! So it was just a bad night. I got lost in a pack of oreos! I was so ticked at myself. I went to bed a 9:30 as to not do anymore damage! I am feeling very guilty.. I was doing so good. Now I need to pick myself up and stop complaing.. I just needed somewhere to vent. Any tips on how you all deal with stess? Thanks
Have a wonderful day..
Tiffany
TiffanyinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Hi Tiffany,
I live in Western Ma too
Stress is there everyday whether we want it or not.The thing that keeps me honest is don't have the stuff in the house.If i have to go to the store to drown my sorrows i am more likely to go without or reach for something healthy cause that is all there is.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #3  

Hi there, sorry you had a rough night. I try to look at it this way, I can choose how I respond to stress. If I choose to eat the wrong things not only will I be stressed about the original thing I was stressed about, I will be stressed about eating over my calories, and I will feel disappointed.

There are a couple of things that I have had to do. Firstly recognise the situations where I am likely to over eat and find strategies to deal with them, like exercising, reading a book, coming on the 3FC, doing some crafts and keeping my fands busy.

Secondly, and this takes time, learning to cope with stressful situations by just thinking them through. OK the bank making a mistake is tough, but it's all stuff that can be fixed. Without resorting to eating unhelpful foods.

It does get easier as you go along and get more practice at dealing with stress!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Like Fitbyforty said- there are just going to be those days when things tend to pile up on us emotionally or otherwise. Times when for reasons beyond our control, we are just not going to be able to maintain the sharp focus on "being good" in our eating and exercise.

Of course, it's always good to try to reign in the bad urges as much as possible during those times- it's better to binge on a bag of miniature carrots than a bag of miniature chocolate bars, it's better to at least go for a 15 min walk than to stay on the couch all day. However, even more important than how we handle the "bad" days, is how we handle the next day, the first day after the original trama has healed or calmed down.

Don't beat yourself up, don't let yourself feel like you've "failed"... just pick up the regular routine and go forward. Lifestyle changes don't fail on the day we break routine, they fail on the day we don't put that routine back together and get on with it. Succeed in that, and you've gained the #1 most important skill in not only losing weight, but maintaining that loss over the long haul.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Just to add to what the others said, I know that in the past I have dealt with stress by turning to food, feeling it would "make me feel better." As I have gone on this journey, I've started to realize how wrong this belief is.

First, the food, at best, only makes me feel better in the moment. Then, after I'm done binging, I actually feel worse! Because a) The food I binge on isn't nutritious, so now I've made things worse for both my weight and health b) I just lost control, so the food is winning and c) because of the stress, I actually didn't, you know, savor the food.

So, since I started all of this, when the stress/binge urge comes on, I have started to fight it. One thing that works for me is actually exercise. I have had a few days when I get on the treadmill with my ipod and just scream the song lyrics as I walk. But lifting at the gym or taking a walk are good choices. And what I've realized is that this really IS good for me. First, I'm doing something good for my body, not bad for it and b) the exercise actually seems to relieve some of the stress!

Lightbulb moment for sure.

Now of course, in the moment, it still takes a great amount of willpower to resist the siren call of the food... but when you do it ONCE, it is easier to do it a second time, and a third, etc...

Good luck!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 289/289/269 mini goal weight

Hi everyone... Thanks for the help and encouragement..Fitbyforty what a small world. I am in Palmer... I wonder how close you are? I picked myself up and went to the Y. I did the treadmill for 20 mins and then the butt kicking elliptical. I love that thing.. But, I was only able to do 10 mins..Not so bad for someone that is so out of shape...I am all sweaty Need a shower. Tonight my husband and I plan to go rollerblading. I have not been in years. I used to go as a teen and I LOVED skating.. I am hoping the love is still there. That would help out because that is a calorie burner for sure and I know it is something I could always do... I am wondering is there anywhere to post daily menus around here. Maybe I can do this and get some help If I need it with tweaking my menus? Thanks again to all of you.
TiffanyinMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 AM   #7  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Firstly recognise the situations where I am likely to over eat and find strategies to deal with them, like exercising, reading a book, coming on the 3FC, doing some crafts and keeping my fands busy.

Secondly, and this takes time, learning to cope with stressful situations by just thinking them through. OK the bank making a mistake is tough, but it's all stuff that can be fixed. Without resorting to eating unhelpful foods.

It does get easier as you go along and get more practice at dealing with stress!
Well said Kykaree Things do get easier and there are moments when we all fall through the cracks so to speak.

I get to the point sometimes where I fall inot bad habits and eat my stress away. On the boat home yesterday my family was getting on each other's nerves BIG time so when I went to get that bottle of water I added a piece of blueberry crumb cake. I wooffed it down like someone was going to steal it from me. I hated myself for it but it was like an out of body experience. Mistake??? YES...am I killing myself over it.....NOPE.

Just move through it if you can and remember its over and done with. You can do it!!!

DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #8  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

andoreth -

Loved your post! Lots of wisdom there.
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #9  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyinMass
I am wondering is there anywhere to post daily menus around here. Maybe I can do this and get some help If I need it with tweaking my menus?
Sure. Come and join us on the Weekly Journal Buddy Thread.
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:29 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry you had a bad day yesterday, I hate worrying about money. You've already gotten lots of good advice so I just wanted to give you my support. Hang in there and just start another day!!
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Tiffany,
I am in Shrewsbury
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 PM   #12  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Tiffany!

I sure can relate to your Oreo Fest, Tiffany! Here's what I did one day. Maybe it will help you.

I had just heard of the term "emotional eater" and started to think about reasons for eating. Until that moment I really never gave it a thought about why I was eating! I decided to confront snack food when I was full. I looked at my bag of Oreos and thought, "Wow! I'm too full even to eat one of them!" I began to think that maybe I could use this thinking when I was "hungry" (read: upset, stressed, bored etc.) Before I ate anything I asked myself if I was really hungry or if I was something else (bored, upset, stressed, mad, etc.) In other words, I tried to THINK before I ate. This was a brand new way for me to approach food.

Another thing I began to do was eat a bit every few hours and not wait until the next meal. That continues to be the best thing for me because I seem to need a bit every so often rather than a big amount three times a day. Before I eat out or before I go to a party I eat an apple or 1/2 of a peanut butter sandwich. I follow it with water. I find that I am much less apt to overeat at the restaurant or at the party. I also began boxing 1/2 of my dinner BEFORE I began eating the other half. I tell myself that I can have it another time but NOT right now. It helps me not to think that I am getting short-changed.

I started keeping a glass of water with me and just sipped instead of eating the party food. I got more time to actually TALK to people instead of feeding my face. I was surprised that nobody seemed to notice that I wasn't eating! Here all these years I have been thinking that I HAD to eat so I wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings! Strange looking at it from a different perspective!

Hope some of this helps you! I'm finding that there are many different ways to look at food and eating that I never really thought about!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote