Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2006, 11:41 PM   #1  
PinkSnowDays

S/C/G: 260/250/150

Question Never full?

Now that I am limiting my calories and intake I am finding that I never seem to feel full... and now that I reflect on my past lifestyle I don't remember feeling full often either. Sure I had the way crazy binge eatings on holidays and bad days when I took it way over board and felt full but in general I think I put on so much weight because I always still felt hungry, board and also was an emotional eater but never remember being full. Anyone else feel like this?
PinkSnowDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:03 AM   #2  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I do remember feeling before that I was always stuffed. I never stopped eating until I felt miserable. It was hard getting used to just having a comfortable fullness. The big thing for me was realizing that there wasn't any need to feel stuffed, that if I got hungry later that I could eat something later. My problem wasn't just junk food, I was just very much an over-eater. When I first started to feel a little hunger, it was a strange and foreign thing for me, I usually never had let myself ever get hungry. Sometimes I felt like a "bottomless pit" and could never feel full enough. This is just my experiences. I don't know how many calories you are eating and it may very well be that you need more food.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:15 AM   #3  
PinkSnowDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
Sometimes I felt like a "bottomless pit" and could never feel full enough.
Exactly how I used to eat.

I've been tryign to limit myself to 1500 calories a day but I usually end up between 1500-2000. I'm eating healthier and am able to eat a good amount of healthly choices but I just always seems to be waiting for something more. :-( With time maybe this will pass.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

When I'm not bingeing, I never feel full. I would be full all day long before I began my diet. I don't think I had felt hunger in 5 years. I don't think it's necessary to feel full with every meal, and I've gotten very used to it. But if you want to feel full, just drink a couple of glasses of water and it should fill you right up (long enough for you to forget about missing a food-filled belly). I actually hate feeling full, because I know I overate.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:14 AM   #5  
Diva under construction..

S/C/G: 262/212/175

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Harpo~ I have never enjoyed that full feeling ( border line sick feeling). I'm more of a grazer when I over eat. There are times I stop eating because I am satisfyed....It could be as little as a few bites of chicken. Or this morning, half of my protein shake...I was just done with it.
Stevi-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:47 AM   #6  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

pinksnowdays:
Do you mean you WANT to feel MORE full? Or you mean you feel satisfied without the full feeling? Wasn't too sure what you meant there.

I think it's good to feel satisfied and not hungry, but not a good feeling to have that "ohh man I just feel like I'm gonna burst, I need a nap" feeling. (haha, you can tell by that I have experience there) NO I don't do that anymore! hahahahaha

My cals are staying between 1200-1400 on a higher day, and I seem quite satisfied with that. I try to look for the lowest fat/lowest cal way of getting the most food in each day. I have a few favorites now that seem to fit the bill so until i get sick of them, I'll keep eating those.

~ Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #7  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeycat36
My cals are staying between 1200-1400 on a higher day
At your weight? OUCH!

But, not the topic of the thread so...

The reason many of us got to where we are is that we were always trying to feel full. News flash: if you feel full, you've already eaten too much. As long as you're eating enough to not feel hungry, you're doing your body good Before I started watching my foods, I could have 2 McDonald's double cheeseburgers, a large fry, and a milkshake and still not feel "full." However, just because you feel you can fit more into your tummy doesn't mean you need to. I know for me, I'm more of a bulk eater. I could have a little protein bar with 200+ calories and feel hungry not long after because it just wasn't much food. Now, I find things that have the same amount of calories (or even fewer!), but are bigger and/or take longer to eat, ya know? For 200 calories, I could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a large salad with a couple ounces of grilled chicken and some light dressing, a piece of baked or grilled chicken with some mashed cauliflower and some bbq sauce, a thick smoothie with banana and peanut butter, a bowl of homemade white chili with fat-free sour cream...there are lots of options for about the same amount of calories that contain more bulk. Maybe thinking along those lines could help?

When I see a skinny friend eat 2 bites of cheesecake and then stop and say she's full, she's not really full (trust me, when drunk, this girl can put the food away). It's just that she knows she doesn't need any more, and we need to reach that mentality as well
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #8  

Not feeling full is the hardest thing for me to get used to while trying to eat several times a day. I'm still not there. It's not too bad during the day when I'm busy, but in the evening, it packs a punch. It will get better (I hope).

I waver between telling myself I have to stick to the plan, and I need more calories because I worked out. What psychological games we play with ourselves!
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #9  
PinkSnowDays

I feel right there with you northern having smaller meals several times never leaves me satisfied. I guess thats more my problem then full... satisfied.
Jill what a good alterative I had never really thought that way, maybe that will help.
Just another side effect of years of over eating :-/. This too shall pass!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:46 PM   #10  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

I know it _sounds_ low to me too.. but I am quite satisfied with that amt of calories, it seems. I went lower, was hungry, and at 1200-1400 cals I seem to feel great.

I try to find the foods with the most density and least calories. I don't look at stuff with a lot of calories if it's not gonna give me anything to EAT. But, that's just my preference.

I eat in the run of a day:
Breakfast: 1 med banana, 1 small bowl of oatmeal (very nice and filling)

lunch: 2 oz. chicken breast on sandwich with mustard and lettuce, sometimes I add cucumbers too. 1 apple or 1 cup of strawberries, sometimes I add 1 oz. of baked lays, if I feel craving.
I might have snacks like a fruit or a low cal fudge bar (70 cal)

dinner: sometimes I have chicken breast and salad, sometimes I have this soup I made up with turkey, kidney beans, and tomato. That one is REALLY nice and filling so I feel full after that.

Sounds like a lot of food for one day! And it all rings in around 1200-1400.

And yes, chicken sandwich tastes really good with mustard, I actually even prefer it to mayo. Try it! You'll love it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
At your weight? OUCH!

Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeycat36
And yes, chicken sandwich tastes really good with mustard, I actually even prefer it to mayo. Try it! You'll love it!!
I hear this a lot--if only I actually liked mustard Another alternative I've found is to use a fat-free salad dressing as my sandwich spread (I like ranch or thousand island)--it's usually way less than 1T to cover the bread with a thin layor, and it's very flavorful I've also grown accustomed to at least using low-fat mayo instead of regular--ooh, or a smear of barbecue sauce on a ham sandwich. See, lots of yummy alternatives for just about anything!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:01 PM   #12  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

2 things that really help me feel fuller and more satisfied: protein and fiber.

Psyllium husks, which are an excellent source of fiber, sprinkled on my oatmeal or grapefruit makes me feel like I've eaten a Thanksgiving feast!

Protein helps me feel fuller for longer.

If I eat just carbohydrates, even "good ones" like fruit, I am STARVING soon after! Thoughts of food prevail ! It becomes a real stuggle to not eat.

If I make sure to include a little protein and fiber I can for hours without even thinking of food.
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote