Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #1  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Things I've learned

I began my weight loss journey almost 3 months ago at somewhere over the 200 lb mark. I don't know what the number was, I just know it was over that mark once again by the way my clothes (even the biggest ones) didn't fit anymore. Today I am down to 168, still a long way to go but it got me started thinking of what I know today that I couldn't admit 3 months ago.

What I've learned:

1. Elastic waist pants allow me to feel okay no matter how fat I get. I threw all of these out!
2. My jeep does not have an autopilot set for McDonalds, etc. I am in control of the car, not vice versa.
3. The clothes dryer does not shrink my jeans. Well it does eat socks though.
4. You can excercise in the rain....who would of thought??? My husband, bless his heart, gave me a raincoat for walking.
5. I am not fat because I have 4 kids. I am fat because I have 4 kids and didn't bother to get back in shape after the last 2. No one made me eat chocolate shakes and Big Macs. Heck the kids don't even eat like that.
6. Fruit, vegetables and lean meat actually taste good. I've always considered the condiments on a Big Mac to be my veggies along with the super size french fries so this is a biggie for me.
7. Excuses are just that, excuses. Instead of making up excuses for why I can't do something, I am just gonna try it from this point on. I've been a slave to my own lack of self esteem for way to many years now. If I don't get the job (fill in the blank) its not because I'm fat, ugly, you get the picture, its because I am not the most qualified for it.
8. Eating while cooking does count. I have someone else do the taste testing for me now. This is hard coming from a household where my mother tested everything repeatedly while cooking. Bless her heart too, she is a great cook but really has a weight problem herself.
9. 7 year olds think you are fat. This bothered me when my 7 year old daughter constantly tells me I haven't lost any weight. What a crushing statement after all this time. But then I thought about her perspective on this. At her age she thinks her older sister (13) who weighs 135 and wears a size 5 is a cow!! I can remember a time many moons ago when I thought anyone over the age of 20 was ancient!!!
10. Husbands are supportive, but only to a limited extent. My husband is happy that I am trying to get healthy. He still does things to sabotage my eating habits from time to time. He thinks nothing of eating a fudge sundae in front of me or going out to eat at a restaurant where my only choices are grilled chicken and grilled chicken, LOL

Well off my rant for now........good wishes to all!!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #2  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

Thats was really good! I enjoyed reading it and even giggled every now and then.
I am so impressed with your weight!! You are doing a great job!!
How did you loose it so fast?
Keep up the great job and the great attitude!
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #3  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiL
4. You can excercise in the rain....who would of thought???
This one is my favorite! And what a great gift from your husband.

And yes, very funny list!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:41 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL those are great and so true!! Congratulations on your weight loss.

And ya as a Seattleite I admit I always laugh when people say they can't exercise, go walking, etc. because it is raining. Of course I do know that some people live where lightning and stuff is dangerous so do have to use caution... but there is SOME type of exercise we can ALL do if we really want to.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:46 AM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
LOL those are great and so true!! Congratulations on your weight loss.

And ya as a Seattleite I admit I always laugh when people say they can't exercise, go walking, etc. because it is raining. Of course I do know that some people live where lightning and stuff is dangerous so do have to use caution... but there is SOME type of exercise we can ALL do if we really want to.
Yup... Misti taught me that you can walk in the rain. Who knew?

Very nice list! I really laughed at the image of your husband handing you the raincoat! Sounds like something my husband would do.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:56 AM   #6  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL Jayde... well I am crazy enough to actually PREFER walking in the rain. MUCH cooler and not all sweaty But a little rain won't melt us and, in fact, would be nice if it would... just stick out the parts you want rid of.....
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

Tamil: Great list! Congratulations on your loss!! It's awesome. I guess I'm going to have to go buy a poncho. I usually do a walk video in the house if it's raining!
Keep up the great work!
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #8  
aint misbehaving

S/C/G: 194/ 189 / 145

Height: 5'6

LOL's but oh so true.... In Houston we use the heat to keep us from exercising and pray for the rain.
Congrats on your weight loss. I remember being 168, can't wait to get there again...
Thanks for the motivaton, humor always does it for me
aint misbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:19 PM   #9  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sli
Thats was really good! I enjoyed reading it and even giggled every now and then.
I am so impressed with your weight!! You are doing a great job!!
How did you loose it so fast?
Keep up the great job and the great attitude!

I am walking a few miles morning and evening with my dog. I am her new best friend in this house. She comes into my room around 5:30 am and paces until I get up and put my shoes on. Then she barks frantically for a few minutes while I am trying to tie them in the dark. Its hilarious.

I have lost weight through the only method I can do......watching calories and what I put in my mouth. I still eat the sugared breakfast cereal with skim milk some mornings. I buy alot of health choice meals for lunch and add watermelon and cantaloupe. Dinner is always something grilled (I love tuna steak with cajun seasoning the best). I'm not a bit snacker but when I really have to have one, I get the 100 calorie packs, a low cal no sugar cookie or a Dairy Queen Sugar Free Raspberry Vanilla bar (yummy). So far I don't feel deprived or hungry. To be honest, I don't know what hungry really means.
The thing that has helped me the most is just staying away from fast food.
That was always a 3 or 4 day a week thing with me, now its never!

I agree on the thing about what society thinks we should weigh and I don't buy into it. I am only 5'3" and look awful at a low normal weight. Those darn charts don't take big boobs and a really cushiony butt into the equation. I just want to learn to love myself and be healthy. I don't give a damn anymore about what society thinks.

Thanks for allowing me to express myself. This place is better than any pyschiatric help one could buy
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #10  
Rose

S/C/G: 156/150/135

Thank you! Great list, funny and inspiring
Rose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Good List, when I was a size 20, I could stuff myself into size 14 stretchy sweat pants and pretend that I hadn't gained weight. No more stretchy clothes for me now. If my clothes get tight, it's because I gained, not the dryer shrank them.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote