Old 07-11-2006, 02:32 PM   #1  

Default What's wrong with me?

I posted a similar thread in exercise, but thought somebody here might have some insight too.
I started walking about mid-June and completed 2-2.5 miles almost every day without a whole lot of problems, but now I'm struggling! I feel really weak, like my legs won't hold me.

I didn't walk Sunday or Monday. On Saturday, it was hard for me to get through the last mile and today I struggled to finish only about a mile. What the heck? Has anybody else had this happen?

And I feel so hungry all the time. I'm just wondering if this is my body complaining and it will eventually pass or am I doing something wrong?
newsnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

One question that comes to mind: how much are you eating each day? Are you pushing it too hard? that is, starving yourself and exercising a ton??
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #3  

The only exercise I'm doing is the walking (for now). As far as eating, I have gone from basically not ever keeping track of calories to keeping it in the 800-1,200 cal range. I've discovered that some things I used to eat would use all that up in 1 meal!

Could I be under-eating? I'm definitely eating healthier foods. Maybe I'm not eating enough?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Well, for someone weighing over 300 pounds (and I was close) I think 800-1200 is quite a bit too low. If you weighed a lot less, that might be more appropriate!

But it is possible that you are too weak from eating too little! Why not trying upping it to closer to 2000 calories a day -- continue to eat healthy foods and monitor your progress. You should be able to lose safely and exercise and feel good. I know it sounds like a lot, but people who weigh more burn more calories than people who weigh less and you need more to do everything -- from lying around to brushing your teeth to driving to the store!

If you count calories, please feel free to join us on the Calorie Counters thread (Under General Diet Forums!). You can get a lot more info there.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #5  

No wonder you are weak - that's an unhealthy number of calories! Never go below 1200.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #6  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

The thought that struck me too is ~ are you getting enough water? What time of day are you walking? North Carolina ~ it is hot and humid ~ maybe you need more water. I agree with the others about not letting the calories go too low.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Whoa! That's not enough food to sustain your basic body functions much less add exercise. You're going to slow your metabolism down big time, which is something you don't want to do. And the hungrier you feel, the more you going to want to start binging--at least I know I would.

Please start eating more (I find eating smaller meals frequently works well), and I bet you'll feel much better and stronger.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #8  

Thank you all so much for the advice. The one thing I DON"T want to do is slow my metabolism- it's slow enough!

I do drink a lot of water (which is also new to me, I was a soda addict!) and the times I walk vary, but it's hot and humid almost all the time here this time of year!

I'll up my calories over the next few days and see if that helps.

Sorry for the bone-head question, but I'm trying to find my way!
Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #9  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Don't feel bad about asking questions: with all of the contrary information around it is very easy to not know the healthiest path. I still remember the many, many "meals" of a 1/2 grapefruit (NO sugar) my mother ate when I was a child.

I've been very successful with 2000- I know that sometimes it seems like a high number, but for us on the "other end" of the 200-300 range, it's just fine for losing weight!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #10  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I would agree with the others that you are not eating anywhere near enough. Sleep is another big factor for me. If I don't get enough sleep I feel sluggish and have nowhere near my normal stamina when exercising.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #11  
Not giving up!!

S/C/G: 323/200/175

Height: 5'8

I agree you need more calories!!
~~Sunshine~~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you've gotten some great advice already, I hope that it helps you to feel better!!
MelodyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 265/238/140

The thing you have to remember is that the more you weigh the more calories it takes just to sustain your bodily functions. So, if you don't eat enough to "fuel the machine", then of course you are not going to have any energy!

Another mistake that some people make when trying to lose weight is to cut fat COMPLETELY out of their diets. There are many vitamins that are fat-soluble, which means your body needs fat to absorb them. My WW leader says she can always tell when someone has cut TOO much fat out of their diet. Their skin is sallow and they have no energy.

If you are feeling hungry- that's a good thing! That means your metabolism is working. When you feel hungry, you should eat! I find that a fat free yogurt smooothie is a perfect little hunger filler. I buy the bottled ones and they are only one point (for the WW people out there) and they help to keep my hunger at bay. Also, foods that are high in fiber will keep you filled up longer.

For your starting weight you should be eating between 1700-2000 calories for healthy weight loss. As you lose you can lower your intake, but as mentioned, it should NEVER drop below 1200. I know with WW the points drop at each 25 pound mark- thus lowering your calories The drop is about 100 calories per 25 pounds. I hope this gives you somewhat of a guide for how gradual your calorie reduction should be.

Don't be surprised if you lose weight FASTER now that you are increasing your calories!

Good Luck!

Kathi
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote