General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:42 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8"

Question Abs Diet????

Has anyone read the book, tried it or have any opinions about it??? I know myself well enough to know that I need a plan I can follow for life, not just a way to get the weight off and hope to keep it off. All that I have heard of the Abs Diet says it is a lifelong plan.....But I am looking for an unbiased opinion, not information from the publisher or author.

Thanks for any info you can share!
nail-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 PM   #2  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

I haven't heard much about it, but I subscrib to the theory that if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. And from anything and everything I've read and seen, you can't spot reduce anything.
Hpnotq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #3  
Determined 2 meet my goal

S/C/G: 197/175/150

Height: 5.4

I have done the abs diet. It is a great book. I can across it one day while watching Good Morning America and then I purchased the books. You can get them really cheap at Walmart or off of Amazon.

I am using the meals with my exercise program now and even before I added the exercises, just the meals alone will help you get rid of weight especially around the mid section.
sigma3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 191.4

Height: 5'5

Talking

My brother followed it for a few months. He lost a lot of weight and looked great.
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:56 AM   #5  

Thanks for the input everyone. I won an auction on ebay for the book and am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I really thought that it sounded like a sensible approach to weight loss....my hubby gets Men's Health mag and the editor is the book author. I have seen a few articles in his magazine that refer to the Abs diet and it seems like a fairly easy approach to sensible eating. I can't wait to get my hands on it now!
Darcy
Old 07-10-2006, 07:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The diet isn't really about "spot reducing" or anything like that-even though "abs" is in the title.

Basically this diet concentrates on eating lower calories-which will make anyone lose weight-BUT, it also concentrates on eating whole foods...less or not at all processed foods-with high nutrient content-basically getting more nutrients for the calorie. That part of the concept is very good. I don't follow The Abs Diet, but the foods that are recommended are ones that I eat naturally and recommend anyway...oatmeal, blueberries, etc.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #7  

I have heard about it and read some of the key points through a men's health site. It is actually pretty sound and have heard it works from others I know who have tried it. As stated it is a diet all around not for spot reduction and is not some gimmick. I am using info from this diet to kinda just form my own variation cause I don't mind going a bit slower in progress.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #8  

Well, I finally got the book and read it cover to cover. It looks like what I thought it would be, a map to better health with weight loss as an added bonus. I think that this is a way of life more than a "diet" and exactly what I need....a plan to get me on a better path.
Thanks for all your input!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

My DD ran across the Abs diet in a magazine (it touched on the foods that were "approved" on the diet). She's been going to the gym and working with a trainer who outlined a diet for her. I've been trying to get her to do the Super foods diet, but she balks at anything I say. Well, she noticed that the Abs diet was about 80% like the Super foods diet and she finally sees what I see!
Like Aphil said, it is low cal, healthy, whole foods. I don't see anything wrong with it myself.
My only problem with any diet plan is when they give you daily menus to follow. I just can't stand anyone telling me that for Bfast today I have to have such and such, etc. That's why I like calorie counting and the super foods--I pick out the foods that I like that are on the super foods diet, throw in a couple that aren't but that won't sabotage my diet and I eat what I like. It's been working for me.
Good luck with the Abs diet--I think you'll do great with it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote