Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #1  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Default Sea Silver

Has anyone heard of this stuff? Its not a weightloss plan or gimick. But when I googled it I dont get much information on the stuff, other than what they want you to read. Its pretty much the same information on every site I found.

Im very impressed with the results my gf has had using it. It is a vitamin supplement, and she looks really really good. She has had some serious stressors in her life in the last 2 months, and was looking extremely bloated and "grey" looking. I seen her yesterday and she looks like she's been on vacation on some desserted island and has been sleeping really well. She told me she started taking this sea silver about a week ago.

But the skeptic in me questions it, but if you could have seen her 2 weeks ago, and then yesterday, you probably would have been thinking about buying this stuff too.

Any thoughts? Experience with the stuff?
Old 07-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #2  
Mel

Here is an excerpt from Quackwatch.org:
Quote:
Misleading Claims for Seasilver™
Stephen Barrett, M.D.

Seasilver USA, Inc., headquartered in Carlsbad, California, markets Seasilver,™ a liquid multivitamin/multimineral/amino acid product that has been claimed to "balance your body chemistry," "cleanse your vital organs," "purify your blood and lymphatic system," "oxygenate your body's cells," "protect your tissues and cells against challenges" and "strengthen your immune system." [1] The company's founder, Bela Berkes, is said to have developed Seasilver in response to "health challenges" after he began "a life-long, world-encompassing quest to learn nature's secret to good health." [2] The current chief executive officer is his son, Jason E. Berkes, who also heads AmericAloe, the product's manufacturer. A news report stated that Seasilver was available through medical doctors in the 1980s and "relaunched" through a multilevel company in 1994 [2]. In recent years, its alleged benefits are touted through thousands of Web sites operated by distributors. The cost is $39.95 for a 30-day supply (1 bottle), $100 for 3 bottles, and $300 for 12 bottles [3]. In March 2003, Bela Berkes stated that Seasilver USA was earning $15 million a month and $180 million a year from selling Seasilver [4].

Many of the claims made for Seasilver have been illegal. For example, the company's 2001 booklet "Journey into Foundational Health" falsely stated that silver (one of its ingredients) "has been used successfully in the treatment of over 650 diseases." [3] In 2002, after the FDA issued a warning letter, some claims on the company's Web site were toned down, but many distributor sites still continued to display them. In 2003, coordinated actions by the FDA and FTC stopped the company from selling or distributing their product until it it radically changed its marketing. This article describes what happened and why I believe it it foolish to use the product.
The article continues....
From what I read, it's a very high priced multivitamin with minerals in a liquid form, sold in a Multi-level marketing scheme and highly promoted on lots of web-sites. Sounds a lot like the "juice-plus" craze.

I'm glad your friend looks and feels better, but from what I've read, she would have had the same results with a good multi-vitamin.

Mel
Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #3  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

The more Im reading too, the more I would agree with you Mel. Its that multi-level sales thing they have going on that makes me so leary!!

Im going to keep looking into it...it has alot of the supplements in it I used to take years ago...and had quit because of the cost. I will admit, that I felt amazing when taking the supplements recommended for me, and keeping my eating on course. Anyway, Im going to keep looking into it.

Thats for that Mel, I hadnt seen that one.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:13 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree too, Mel... I remember a few years ago doing research on this stuff and deciding it is just more hype.
Closed Thread