Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #1  
Strength through Christ

S/C/G: 225/225/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Veggies and Fruit ONLY

Hi guys, this is my first post.

I have absolutely no idea if I'm going about this the right way...so, please be gentle and don't yell at me, if I am not.

I want to loose about 60 pounds. I've finally gotten to the point where I have had enough of this weight gain and I'm emotionally ready and determined to put a stop to it. I think I got to the point where I was putting on weight on a daily basis...seriously, it seems that at any given time, my clothes from the previous month weren't fitting.

Anyway, I am an emotional eater. I eat for pleasure and to comfort pain. As such, I have a hard time staying away from the unhealthy foods.

So, at this point, I don't allow myself any of the bad stuff...NONE of it. I am very aware that I need to eat healthier foods and burn more calories in order to be successful (so, that's what I'm determined to do).

For the past 3 days I've eaten nothing but fruits and veggies (cantelope, honeydew, grapes, pineapples, green apples, plums, bananas, tomatos, carrots, broccolli) and drank a ridiculous amount of water and V-8. I also started power-walking every day. Now, because of my emotional eating habits, for the past 3 days, I've also taken GNC appetite suppresants (I know lots of people are anti-pills!!). I am not going to take them for long at all, but I felt I needed help getting over the hurdle of the first few days. Even though I'm nibbling on food all day (baby carrots mostly), I can tell I'm still hungry, but the pills take the edge off of the hunger. You know, that edge that drives you to the nearest burger joint! Once I am used to eating less (well, not LESS, but eating nothing but fruits and veggies all day) I will stop taking the pills.

So, my question is, do I need to add some other things to my diet? How long do you think I can go at this pace? Am I overlooking something? Am I totally screwing up? Advice?

Thanks guys,
Cali
Cali B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

These issues are really tough, but I really do think you need to have a balanced diet -- one that will help keep you full and provide you with plenty of nutrients.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well I have no intention of yelling at you

However, I agree... you need to have a balanced diet and better nutrition than you are getting. I am a firm believer not in crash diets and pills but rather in an eating plan of good nutrition combined with exercise.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #4  
Strength through Christ

Thanks wyllenn and misti!! I don't mean to be dense at all, but what do I need to add to my diet? (I seriously never ate healthfully).
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #5  
Mel

Fruits and vegetables are great- they are full of nutrients and fill you up. You also need some protein. Choose sources of LEAN protein- at least two servings a day: chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, pork tenderloin, very lean cuts of beef like london broil (the cheaper, the leaner ), virtually any fish or shellfish. You need protein to maintain your muscle mass while you are losing fat. I'd add at least one serving of a complex, whole grain carbohydrate as well, like oatmeal, 100% whole wheat bread or tortilla, sweet potato or brown rice.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 PM   #6  

Hi Cali... ya what Mel said

Good for you for wanting to learn how to become healthful and lose weight. It CAN be done!! Go for it!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #7  
Strength through Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Fruits and vegetables are great- they are full of nutrients and fill you up. You also need some protein. Choose sources of LEAN protein- at least two servings a day: chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, low fat cottage cheese, pork tenderloin, very lean cuts of beef like london broil (the cheaper, the leaner ), virtually any fish or shellfish. You need protein to maintain your muscle mass while you are losing fat. I'd add at least one serving of a complex, whole grain carbohydrate as well, like oatmeal, 100% whole wheat bread or tortilla, sweet potato or brown rice.

Mel
Excellent! Thank you, Mel.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Don't forget beans!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:34 PM   #9  

I agree that adding lean proteins to your diet may help curb the hunger. It will keep you feeling full longer. Fruits and veggies are great. I would just stay away from high sugar fruits like cherries and grapes. They may raise your blood sugar levels and actually make you more hungry.

You should be proud that you are at least trying to eat healthy! The most important thing is your health and not necessarily your weight.

Best of Luck,
Jeanette
Yorkiemom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #10  
Strength through Christ

Jayde, Jeanette, you guys are great. Thanks,
Cali
Old 07-04-2006, 10:55 PM   #11  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I say Diddo to everything that was said here and a big
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #12  
Strength through Christ

Thanks all, again!

I've decided to add oatmeal and beans to my diet.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:20 PM   #13  

And maybe add a little soy milk?
celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #14  

Fruits and veggies have almost 100% of calories from carbohydrates. You need protein and fat.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:22 PM   #15  

One thing you might want to consider "testing" for yourself... as someone mentioned here there are certain fruits that are considered not as good for you and contain more sugar, and I hear a lot of people say that. But we are all different, as apparently some people can't eat a lot of them. However, the "bad" ones are my favorites and I eat lots and lots of them. For me they just don't "stick" as other sugars would. I guess I am fortunate in that!