South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #1  

Default No sugar added Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate

Is this P1 legal?

I found a recipe on another site for the Mock Frosty using this and made it - it was really really delicious! After I did, I got concerned about trusting that it was really phase 1 with the hot chocolate powder.

There are sugars in the hot chocolate but supposedly those are from the milk - I tried to make myself feel better by counting that towards my milk and my sweet treats allowance, but I would like to know if it is legal to have.

Like I said, it tasted great and I could have one several times a week if legal.

Thanks!

Oh - the recipe was

1/2 cup ff milk
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 pkg no sugar added swiss miss hot chocolate powder
7 pkg splenda (this is way too much - I used 4 and it was still a bit sweet)
1 cup ice

Blend first 4 ingredients in blender until cottage cheese is incorporated. Add one cup ice and blend well.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:59 PM   #2  

I do use this once in awhile to make hot chocolate (most of the time I make it myself from cocoa where it is healthier) so I took a look at the ingredients on my box. I see: modified whey, notfat dried milk, cocoa, maltodextrin, hydrogenated coconut oil, calcium carbonate, less than 2% of salt, dipotassium phosphate, carrageenan, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, artificial flavors, polysorbate 60, modo- and digylcerides.

60 calories, 1gram fat (saturated), 170mg sodium, 7grams of sugar.

I personally would try to avoid this is phase 1 but I think it would be okay occasionally in phase 2. I bet you could substitute cocoa and get it to come out okay.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #3  

Here's links to some recipes that might do the trick

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51910

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ight=chocolate
Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 AM   #4  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

AthensMom, I would definitely avoid the hot chocolate powder in Phase 1. There's just too many ingredients that might mess up your detox.

Instead, try one of the ideas from Schatzi ( Great ideas, chica!) or perhaps you can modify this hot chocolate idea?

I make hot cocoa every night in both P1 and P2 using the recipe from the side of the Hershey's cocoa (the unsweetened kind) box. Here's what I do:

Take 1 Tbsp. and 2 tsp. of cocoa and mix in a mug with 3 Tbsp of SF syrup in preferred flavor (I love Toasted Marshmellow and Kahlua, but you could use 3 Tbsp of Splenda instead). Stir until cocoa is moistened and syrup is incorporated into cocoa. Add a dash of salt, if you want. While you are doing this, heat 1 to 1.5 cups of milk in the microwave (it take 4 mins on high for 1.5 cups of milk in my micro). When the milk is hot, pour it into the cocoa mixture and stir. You can add a dash of vanilla extract (P2 only) if you want to enhance the flavor. This is just delicious!

Hope this helps.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #5  

Thanks for the input! Lots of great ideas. It did occur to me that I could probably substitute cocoa and a bit more splenda and some nonfat milk powder and accomplish the same thing. It really did taste like a Frosty - even my kids loved it and they are pretty picky. At a minimum, I will make it for them as a sweet treat, and will probably experiement with adding some things that are absolutely legal.
Closed Thread