Old 07-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #1  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Default New Puppy!!!

Ok, so I got this big idea that it was time to get a puppy!! Welcome Bailey, an 8 week old soft Coated Wheaton Terrior!

He seems to be a good dog so far. We are going through the usual housebreaking and chewing issues. I can deal with that. What is killing me is the Barking / Yelping / Howling all night when we crate him. We have newspaper and a chew toy in there and I even have the radio on & a dim light. Last night it went on for 1 1/2 hours straight before I checked on him and found he had gotten himself so upset he had thrown up in his crate. After bathing him and cleaning his crate, he was back at it for almost 35 mins before he settled. I NEED SLEEP!!! I am up right now because he is down there going crazy. It's only been 20 mins so far. I can't even believe Jacob sleeps through this!!

I don't know what he is going to do when I go back to work on Wednesday?!?! Tell me this passes. I have never had a dog. I mean we had them growing up, but I don't ever remember any of this!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #2  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

Awww he's adorable! I hope he settles down tonight so you get some sleep!
Raelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

They do settle down. I had even forgotten how bad the first couple of weeks were until I had to puppy sit my sisters fairly new puppy a couple of weeks ago. I do say this too shall pass. My dog that we have had for about 2 1/2 years now only yips if he needs to go out. He never does in the middle of the night as long as we put him out right before bed. The puppy will get it and I must say he is adorable.

Trish
trishn222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #4  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

It passes, and here is how:

You can't crate him at night. I'm sorry, but those are the breaks.

You need a box or doggie bed in your bedroom to put him in. He needs to be near you & dogs do not really like anything over their heads. My boy sleeps on a pillow next to the bed. He has an extra bowl of water there, too. You might want to hold off on that until your boy is potty trained, though.

Also, there is too much in there. He doesn't need the radio & the light & the chew toy & all that; it's just distracting to him. All he needs is a warm blanket to snuggle up to. BUT, dogs are social, so he needs to be near you & Steve. I would suggest putting him in your room. Don't try to make him go to bed before you're ready to be in your room. He will know you're awake & won't be buying it. ALSO, DON'T get into the habit of letting him sleep in the bed with you guys. It's easier to never let that happen than to try & get a dog to sleep in their own bed later on down the line.

I forgot, the only thing he might want in his bed is a clock that ticks. It will remind him of his mother's heart beating, which is what he's been snuggling up to for the past 8 weeks.

Also with you going back to work on Wednesday, he will be in a crate all day, you won't want him to be in there at night & he won't want to be in there either.

So that's it: Keep It Simple, Sweetie. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask. My boy just turned 14 years old 2 weeks ago.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:04 AM   #5  
Winning by Losing

S/C/G: 263/208/150

Height: 5'8"

Awww he is adorable! Great advice from SuchAPrettyFace, I second that. We learned about the clock thing with my cocker spaniel puppy years ago. He would whine, bark, and whine at night too even with me sleeping in the same room as him, altho he wasn't quite as bad with me in there, but we put a stuffed animal in his bed with one of those wind up ticking clocks underneath it, and he'd curl right up to it and sleep! Oh that was wonderfully. Then they get to a point when they don't need it anymore of course, but it eases the transition from mommy dog I think. Oh and of course make sure the alarm isn't set and on when you do that lol.
karistiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #6  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Sandi.. he is so sweet! How big will he get? Will he be your new exercise?
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

Sorry to disagree with the other poster, but....You can crate him at night....actually, the crate plays into a dog's natural "denning" instinct. It is a VERY good idea to do crate training properly. Just like anything, there is a RIGHT way and a wrong, abusive way to do it. Git yerself some education, girly - you will be glad you did!

Trust me...this puppy stage is not the hard one...when the pup is a little older, he will get his big boy teeth...just like a baby who is in pain when teething so will the puppy be...he will start chewing on everything big time...He isn't being bad...he is IN PAIN.

It won't last very long, but it will be intense...you will be glad that you took the time to do crate training when he was a little guy (and so will he!)

In fact, one of the sure signs that my golden isn't feeling well is when he goes into his crate and hangs out. (We haven't had the heart to put it away because it is "his place" so, there it is in the dining room!)

Get yourself a good book. I recommend Raising Rover by Judith Halliburton. Check your library for it or there are many others...

Check out this link:
www.barkbytes.com/training/crate.htm

(I've worked with a dog rescue group for years - I've fostered over 60 dogs of all ages from tiny pups up to seniors.)

Good luck! It does get better...Just remember:
A tired puppy is a good puppy.
Lyndyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Very cute!

Our dog never accepted kennel training. We tried everything but once we stopped she settled right down. She was older though, when we got her.

If the barking continues we discovered they have collars you can put on them to train them out of barking. One sprays citronella & the other gives them a small shock whenever they bark. The citronella one didn't work at all for us but the shock one worked like a charm. She only barked once & then she stopped. Before long we didn't even use the collar at all & she almost never barks now, except when someone is outside of the house. I was able to rent the citronella one from the vet clinic.

Good luck! & enjoy the cutie!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #9  

The barking and crying is a natural reaction that a puppy has to being seperated from his litter. Dogs are pack animals...they don't like to be alone. YOU and your family will become the NEW pack...just give it a few days. First, make sure that the puppy has done his business (don't let him drink a bowl full of water before bed). Don't put the crate in the garage or basement. If you put the crate near your bed, he will be aware of you, but contained. Then IGNORE IGNORE IGNORE the pooch's sad sounds. If you don't ignore them, it actually REINFORCES the dog making them. They are very smart (esp. terriers!) and they will learn...ok, I only have to cry for 45 minutes and she will take me to bed with her.

After less than a week (usually about three days in my experience), the puppy will start to settle into his new routine and will pipe down...but NOT if you keep checking on him, talking to him, even LOOKING at him can reinforce a behavior.

Now, all that said...there are a lot of roads that lead to Rome...and a lot of ways of living with a dog...I'm suggesting one of the easier ones that ends up with less people booting the dog out to the curb. (I see this kind of thing a lot.) Trust me, it is much much easier to train a new puppy to use the crate than it will be to train him to use it when he is six or nine months old and eating every thing that you own.

Puppies are fun, though!! :0)
Old 07-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

He is so cute. I have no idea how to train puppies.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #11  
for me, for them

S/C/G: 345/ticker

Height: 5'10"

I have no training advice as I got my little boy, Rico, when he was already trained **wipes brow, phew**. But Bailey is sooooo cute. I love doggies.
ScarlettDrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:45 AM   #12  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Thanks you guys!! I am going to buy a ticky clock today and ignore him tonight. Last night he was up ALL night, but I'm afraid I may have caused it by "checking on him" when I couldn't stand it anymore.

He will get to be about 40 lbs. I do hope he will become my new reason to exercise. I am going to get him some good training. I really believe in a well trained dog.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:50 AM   #13  

Good for you, Jacobs Mommy! With your attitude, I know you will succeed. I'm sure that you will end up with a wonderful friend! I have three dogs of my own and wouldn't trade 'em. (Though, I wouldn't mind one of those services that comes to your house and picks up the dog doo for you...)

One of the "tricks" with dogs is consistency...they are such creatures of habit. For instance, if you are going to let them up on the couch, so be it...but, if you decide NOT to let them up on the couch, then NEVER let them up on the couch...

As for exercise...dogs are great at inspiring that! They love it so much that they can make you forget (at least a little bit) that being up at 6:00 in the morning walking around the block is not YOUR idea of a good time!!

He will be a great buddy for ya!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

crate him but keep him in your room. Last year the first couple weeks with our puppy, one of us slept downstairs in the family room and got up with him a couple of times a night. After those 2 weeks, we brought him upstairs with us and left him in his crate. We didn't need to keep getting up in the night, but had to get up bright and early!

Crates are not a bad way to go if used right. Dogs like having an enclosed "den" and they are less likely to poop and pee in their own "bed". They shouldn't be used for punishment, though, and should only be big enough for puppy to turn around and lie down (you can make a larger crate temporarily smaller by putting a box covered by a towel in the back of the crate).

Remember that this is all brand new for poor puppy and he needs to get used to everyone!

He's precious, Btw!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #15  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

He is so cute Sandi. It will all work out. They are such good company.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote