Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 AM   #1  

Default The ABCs of Weight Loss

This is inspired by Wyllenn, in another post. She started it, I have some thoughts…but I need some help filling in the holes!

A is for Attitude: You have to believe in yourself and that you can do it.

B is for Behavior: Don't focus on the weight loss, focus on new behaviors (eating and exercise). You can control your behaviors, after all. And don't worry if A follows B in this case. Psychologists know that attitude sometimes precedes but sometimes follows behavior. These new behaviors take time to learn, and many of us take baby steps to incorporate them into our daily lives.

C is for Commitment: This one should probably come first. Make a commitment to yourself (and not necessarily to any one plan!). If you fall off the wagon, get back on again. Don't allow yourself to give up (but don't keep working a plan that isn't working for you!).

D is for Determination: Make the decision that you are going to do this. Don’t let anything get you down. Just keep working it, and it will work for you!

E is for Exercise: The human body is designed for movement. Find something you like, and do it. You don’t have to be a Super Athlete, just get up and move.

F is for Food: Give your body food that it can use, to build yourself up strong. Losing weight is NOT about starving, it’s about finding a food plan you can stick with.

G is for Goals: These don’t have to be huge. Take baby steps, and reward yourself for reaching those goals! Set goals for the month, for the week, for the day…whatever it takes to keep you moving forward.

H is for Health: We’d all like to see a smaller number on the scale, but that number doesn’t matter half as much as the strength of our hearts, lungs, bones, muscles, and minds.

I is for

J is for Journalling: Keep a record of what you eat. It will help you to be mindful of what you're putting in your body. If you like, keep another for inspiration, keep another for your thoughts and feelings, keep one for new recipes, keep one for dreams, keep one for reasons you're doing this...(obviously, I like journals!)

K is for

L is for

M is for Motivation: Find something that keeps you going. Change it every day, if you want to. Make it a far-off ephemeral idea, if you want. Do whatever it takes to motivate yourself to make these changes.

N is for

O is for

P is for Persistence: The human body is an incredible machine, and it will work in its own time. There are hundreds of things happening in your body at any one time that will affect your weight loss efforts in one way or another, not to mention things happening in your life! No matter what is happening, just keep trying. Keep working. You’ll get there.

Q is for Quality: Give your body the best quality foods you can afford. Eschew packaged foods that don’t have any pronounceable ingredients, no matter how low-cal, low-fat, or low-carb it is. Natural is ALWAYS better than packaged.

R is for Rest: Sometimes, you just need a break. So take one! Give yourself a treat meal once every month or two. Take a couple of days off the gym every week. Rest is an important part of this process: it gives your body a chance to regroup and recharge.

S is for

T is for Temptation: Get your temptations out of the house! If they have to stay there (for the sake of other house members) find a way to neutralize them. Out of sight, out of mind!

U is for

V is for

W is for

X is for Xylophone: Find new hobbies. Find new interests. Try something you’ve been putting off “until you were thin”. Let your life expand as your waistline shrinks.

Y is for

Z is for Zamboni: Try a type of exercise you’ve never tried before. Get out there on ice skates or rollerblades or on a surfboard. Try jogging. Try running obstacle courses. Join a race. Train for a triathalon. Expand your exercise repertoire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is what I have so far. Any other ideas?
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:12 AM   #2  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

L is for Long Term Thinking? it kind of crosses over with persistence though...
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 270/230/150

Here's a couple...word games are exciting for me.

I is for Intelligence: Keep a level head about what is possible and not possible... be smart about the steps you take.
N is for Neighbours: Don't go it alone. Enlist a friend or two to help you on your journey.
O is for Options: Have a wide variety of foods to choose from. Keeping your options open will make eating healthy easier.
S is for Sleep: When you're sleeping, you're not eating. Getting enough sleep is important for everyone to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
U is for Understanding: Don't lose heart if you stumble a little. Understand that every road has it's obstacles, and just because one slows you down doesn't mean you have to start all over again.
suspendagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:00 AM   #4  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

W is for Wishing for the impossible, and make it possible. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. Even if it's you.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:06 AM   #5  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Height: 5'7"

L - Learn from your body. If you're not getting the feedback you want, make small adjustments and learn how your body responds to them. Everyone is an individual and everyone responds differently to food and exercise. And you're body's got something to say to listen and learn.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Cool! I inspired something! I had a niggling thought that this could be taken further! Thanks, Mousie!

I is also for Inspiration -- how everyone here on 3fc inspires our own efforts!

V is for Victory -- We find victories on and especially off the scale as we learn we can do more... and fit into cuter clothes!

I love that you included ideas about trying something new (X and Z!)

Hey, can we sticky this ??
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #7  
No description available.

I is for I WILL!
D is for Discipline.

There is no want, there is only do. (with respects to Yoda)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #8  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

W is for Water!!!!!! Important for overall health as well as weight loss.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Y is for Yummy -- you can still eat great tasting and healthy foods that you love love love
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote