Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2006, 01:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/198/145

Height: 5'5

Default What is the best way to lose belly fat?

I have A stomach of A 10 month pregnant woman lol & I just started dieting & exercising every day ( this is day 6) & I am wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how to lose belly fat I am walking & riding my stationary bike 2x daily & doing some exercises but my neck & back are bad so I am doing like 12 of each exercise so I don't over do it ..any tips would really help!!!!
Thank you so much!!!!
I hope everyone has A safe & fun holiday weekend!!!
mizz186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Sadly, there is no surefire way to spot reduce.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #3  
Meg

Glory's right - there isn't any exercise or diet that targets belly fat. You'll lose fat from all over your body in whatever order your body wants to lose it. Often you lose first what you put on last, and we all have stubborn fat that hangs around until the very end of our weight loss. Many people - myself included - lose from the head down, so first to go is the double chin, then you start to see collarbones etc. (then you lose the boobs ) I tell ya, that fat has a mind of it's own!!

But don't stop exercising! Exercise is an important component of weight loss because you'll lose faster AND look better when you get to goal if you exercise throughout your weight loss.

Keep up the good work!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #4  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

Well, the other way is to have it surgically removed. But of course, the surgeon wants you to be close to a regular weight before that happens. By then it's just lose skin with a bit of fat still attached (this is in my experience). It may not be all that much fat - but it still looks it!

The best way to lose body fat is to keep plugging away using healthy dieting and exercise.
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:09 PM   #5  

Thank you ladies!!! my biggest fear is loosing the weight & keeping the belly!!!LOL aslo if anyone knows ...do woman tend to lose less around there period or does it tend to stay the same?
thank you!!... this is my first diet lol
Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #6  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

My experience most of the time with my TOM is that I have little to no weight loss for my weigh in days. This time around, I was lucky and posted a loss of 2 lbs, but that's not normal for me. Everyone is very different in how quickly they lose and when they lose.
Hpnotq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz186
Thank you ladies!!! my biggest fear is loosing the weight & keeping the belly!!!LOL aslo if anyone knows ...do woman tend to lose less around there period or does it tend to stay the same?
thank you!!... this is my first diet lol
I think I always lost the same, but fluctuations of my period (bloating, etc) make me weigh a little higher around that week. Now that I'm maintaining, I just don't get on the scale at all the week before my period until it's over. If I do get on the scale for some nutty reason, I expect it to be 2-3 higher than normal.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #8  

ok thanks for the info!...go figure my first week of dieting and I started lol I am beating te cravings for the most part I broke down & half of a honey bun lol
Old 06-30-2006, 07:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Yep...the only way to lose your belly fat, is to continue to lose weight and wait for the belly fat to go along with fat from the rest of your body.

I am hourglass shaped, so when I am heavy and start to lose weight, I lose it in my face, neck, shoulders, and especially in my waist/abs FIRST...while my stubborn "doesn't want to go anywhere" fat tends to hang on in my upper arms, and my hips and legs.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizz186
Thank you ladies!!! my biggest fear is loosing the weight & keeping the belly!!!
lol, well, you get used to that.

Although I bought some support underwear today that really sucks my belly in. Now I can tuck in my shirts when I wear jeans!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 212.6/144.2/121

Height: 5'5"

Hold on - are you saying the belly isn't gonna go?
buddha belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:31 AM   #12  

Height: 5'8.5"

Well, hey, yes it is true that you can't really spot reduce... however, from experience I WILL say that I disagree with the other posts in that you CAN very well do specific exercises that stretch and tone the muscles so that while you may not have actually LOST any more than otherwise, it can certainly LOOK that way. I do several of them and especially recently some I have adapted to the water. Yes, I do know it won't get rid of my belly fat... but it can sure make it look and feel a bit better in the process!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

My own experience is that I lost first from my face and arms. Next, my hips and legs became thinner. It seems that my waist was the last thing to go, but the closer to goal, the more I notice that waist and breasts are getting much smaller. So, it does all come off but maybe not in the order that you would like.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #14  
I AM smiling!!!

S/C/G: 276/252/150

Red face

I read somewhere on here about certain stomach exercises won't work - just cardio to lose the fat all over and while the second part of this is true, I KNOW certain exercises work for the stomach and I'm living proof! I named my stomachs - Stomach #1 and Stomach #2. Number 1 being under my, ahem...breasts. Number 2 being below that.

I've been on a fat loss program for 2 months now and lost 15 lbs most of it from both of my stomachs. I cannot wear two pairs of my pants now because they fall off. My bras fit better (some back fat is also coming off).

I do side twists. Stand legs apart, arms straight out to sides and turn side to side while keeping your hips still. (I read somewhere here that it doesn't work but I'm telling is absolutely does!!!!)

Side bends. Legs apart and bend side to side.

Crunches. Lay on the floor, legs bent, criss cross arms on top of chest and raise a little bit. I started off at 10, now I do 50.

Reverse crunches. Lay on the floor like above (but arms don't have to be criss crossed). Legs bent and raise toward your stomach and back down.

Leg lifts - this targets lower abdoman. (stomach #2) This works wonders.

I got results after the first week - people noticed that I wasn't as wide as before and stomach #1 was going down. Got more definition in the breast area cuz stomach was shrinking.
carolshmarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 08:57 AM   #15  

Height: 5'8.5"

Here are some exercises that I do which I find helpful

With a five pound "barbell" weight (the softer ones are nice if you have it), lie on your back on a workout bench. You can either keep your feet on the floor and kind of spread your legs out a bit to stretch them... or put your feet on the end of the bench with knees up. Hold the barbell loosely so that it can slide through your hands as you move them. Wrap both hands around it and starting at stomach level with arms loosely stretched out bring your hands back up over your head and gently "bounce" the weight twice. On the second bounce bring it back up over your head and down toward abdomen.

I have adapted a similar one in the water. At standing level... I am in 4 feet because that is as deep as we have... stretch out both arms, hands together, jump up as high as you can and "flip" backward, with hands going down into the water. There are variations of this one I do, some also involving leg exercises. I want to get a water weight to help with this, but I have also used a round plastic ball (basketball size) and brought it back over my head and stretched it down into the water as I go over backward.

I also agree that the side twists work. Also you can "dance" like doing the Twist... also really good to do in the water.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote