Old 06-28-2006, 04:27 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Question Shirataki noodles

Anyone tried them? What do they REALLY feel/taste like?

keep in mind both DH and I really really really hate tofu... (in case you missed it, we HATE tofu! LOL)
TravelinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:32 PM   #2  
GlamourGirl25

Hey Travelin,

I saw those at Trader Joe's the other day and they looked great for low-carbers. I'm still in Induction, so I don't think I can eat them yet, but I'm definitely going to give them a try as soon as I'm a little bit into OWL. If you try them, let me know!!!

BTW, congrats on your recent loss. I'm so proud of you for sticking with it, even when you had a slight "gain". I had done really well on Induction a few weeks ago, and got up one morning and felt a little heavy - I was up a few pounds - and I went CRAZY. I totally binged for three days and gained all the weight back and it was WAYYYYYYYYYYY harder to get back on the plan after that. So congrats, and I guess that's how it may be for us - lose lose lose, gain a little, lose lose lose.

I'm reading the Dr. Phil book as I go this time. Need a "coach" and his advice is great - lots of psychological stuff about why we will binge at certain times and how to stop it (if you're trying to un-addict yourself to sugary carbs). I've heard it all before, but he says it in interesting ways, and there are action plans, mental action plans and exercises you do in the book, so it's not just like - "instead of bingeing, take a bath" - which never worked for me.

Hang in there!!!!

Love,
Glam
Glamourgirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm not a low-carber, but they're low-cal too, so I'll weigh in here.

I've found they work best in dishes that are typically Asian flavored - I don't really like them as a substitute for italian-style pasta...the texture just isn't right. The other night, I served them with a stir fry with marinated pork loin, lots of veggies, and teriyaki and ginger based sauce. They worked REALLY well as a substitute for regular asian-style noodles in this recipe.

They don't taste like tofu. I put some salt in when I parboil the noodles, and to me, they taste like ramen noodles. Warning about the smell - rinse them well (really well!) in a collander, then parboil 3 min with some salt in the water, and its gone, but it can be off-putting at first. But I'd say ramen noodles are the best comparison for taste/texture - a little firmer/more slippery than a standard pasta.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #4  

I ordered these from a website and was upset to see that they were not kept cold at all and the package says to keep refrigerated.

I did like the noodles. It's been so long since I've had regular noodles I don't really remember what they taste like!

Whats a good store to get these from locally? I saw someone mention Trader Joes. Any other stores?
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 12:37 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

I tried them but the minute I opened the package I knew I could not eat them just from the STINK. I did taste them and they were horrid... I dumped them down the disposal. And yes I DID rinse them well and taste them... I still couldn't hack it.

However, there WAS a thread on this at that time and several people here had tried them and really liked them. If you do like them you sure get a LOT for a few calories... so it might be worth the price of a bag for you to check them out. We all sure have different tastes.

And I got them at Central Market.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:33 AM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Joy View Post
I ordered these from a website and was upset to see that they were not kept cold at all and the package says to keep refrigerated.
This is why I havent ordered them....it costs too much to ship due to refridgeration. I think Id be a little peeved to have them arrive like that when I paid for them to be kept refrigerated.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #7  
Chris, a chick on track!

S/C/G: sz 24/sz 20/sz 14

I tried these for the first time yesterday, much like tofu, they don't have a real taste on their own. They'll pick up on other flavors in whatever you are cooking them with. I saute some celery, carrots and onion in a non-stick pan, then added garlic and a little sesame-ginger dressing and the well- drained noodles. When everything was blended together I added some chopped, cooked, chicken. It was pretty good.
HealthierMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #8  
Lovin' Life

Thumbs up

Alright, here is my verdict

We had them tonight with our supper.

1st, they are very filling!!!
2nd, they have no taste!
3rd, they were awesome in my fetticine sauce.

I bought the angel hair type, they feel a bit squiggly in your mouth at first until you can get your teeth around them to chew But I loved them and I will definitely be buying them again.

I also bought the type that didnt have tofu in them. Just regular shiritake noodles. These ones (from what Ive read) do not have to be refridgerated. Only 3 carbs and 10 cal per serving.

I think these noodles will come in very handy when Ive got that hunger that cant be satisfied (kwim?) These will work wonderfully for that.

There are so many recipe site online when I started researching. You can use them for anything you would use regular noodles for. There are just different ways of preparing them for certain dishes.

2 thumbs up for me!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:55 PM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Glad you liked them, Robin. I wish I did as they are such a good deal for the small amount of calories. But wheeeewie I could not handle that smell.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #10  
Lovin' Life

lol Misti. I didnt find the smell that bad, maybe it was just the brand I bought? To me they smelled slightly fishy, the noodles themselves after I cooked them reminded (the smell)me of paper go figure! 'til I added the sauce of course.

BTW Misti, I love your new hair do!! Your beaming in your new avatar, I love it!