Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2006, 12:47 AM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Medication Question...

I have to go see my doctor in 2 months to renew my birth control, and Im going to ask for a lower estrogen pill, since going off it completly is not an option and Ive always wondered if it has contributed to my weight a little bit, Anyway for the next 2 months, I'm going to commit myself whole heartedly to sticking to a certain calorie intake, and exercise program, no giving up after a week this time, and I'm going to track my results....I'm thinking if after two months I see very little or no progress of asking my doctor for some sort of medication to take to help me boost my weight loss and get me started...not to take forever, maybe just 3-6 months to get me started...I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to ask for? I live in Canada by the way so only stuff available here would be great! lol

My mom has suggested anti-depressents or a counsellor to help with my stress, depression and low self-esteem, she has wanted me on them for a couple years now... but I've heard they make you sleepy and make you gain weight, plus I'm not sure I want to be dependent on an anti-depressent, that is why I want a weight loss medication that isn't something I have to take forever, just something to help get me started, if my doctor thinks that would help. I'm also not one for a counsellor..I don't want to talk to a stranger about my problems...but my mom thinks it will be impossible for me to lose weight with my stress level and having such low self-esteem (which is usually why I give up so easily...I think 'it won't work why bother, im destined to be fat forever' - which i know is not true, it just gets frustrating) what she doesn't realize is how she adds to the stress and low self-esteem but thats a whole other topic...

Anyway any suggestions on what to ask for, or what could help, would be great. Thanks.

By the way, I dont want to go on medication to take the easy way out, and I know that I might have seen results by now if I stuck to a routine, but for the next 2 months that is what I plan on doing, if I don't stick to it I have no right to ask my doctor about medication, if I do and don't see results, then it is a consideration to at least ask. I have stuck to routines in the past, for 3 months last summer I exercised almost every day doing cardio 3-5x/wk sometimes 6, and weights 2-3x/wk, and ate healthy, I was following weight watchers on my own at home at the time (can't afford meetings) and saw absolutly nothing, thats when my mom started suggesting a thyroid problem, but I've never asked to get it tested b/c I'm afraid of needles and I just think 'nah it couldn't be my thyroid, I just did something wrong, it's my fault'
So please please don't reply critisizing me for wanted to ask about a medication to help me, it is a last resort for me, not something I WANT to do but something I will consider to help get me started if need be.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

For starters, let's talk about the BC pills. I've been taking them for almost 8 years now, and from my understanding, they may cause weight gain initially, but not throughout the entire course of your taking them, so while switching to a new one might maybe make you lose a few pounds of water weight, I do not believe it would really help in the long run. However, don't certain pills help with things like mood swings and such (due to the different hormone levels)? That might be a better question for your doc because I've heard the wrong pill can actually cause moodiness, which I'm sure doesn't help with things like depression and low self esteem

Next, if you're being encouraged by loved ones to speak with a counsellor, it is for good reason, and I certainly wish you would reconsider. It's not that you're off dumping your problems on a stranger--it's someone who has a neutral, outsider's perspective on the things you talk about, and sometimes that's what we need is an outside, level-headed view of things When I was in college, I became very moody one semester in particular, and anytime anything upset me too much, I would just get in my car and drive away (couldn't just go into another room to be alone as we had 6 girls living in a 2-bedroom apartment--no wonder I was going crazy, eh? ). Well, my roommates started worrying about me because they would see me just take off in a huff and sometimes not come back for hours. I came back one night, and they were all sitting in the living room waiting for me, wondering where I was, worried about me. That's when I finally made an appointment to speak with our campus counselling service because I saw that my actions (err, reactions?) were directly affecting those around me, so I had to stop being so selfish and do it for them, too. I didn't go very many times, but maybe realizing that I needed to go was helpful enough, and the actual physical act of going and sitting in a room with someone I didn't know who was there to help me--it snapped me out of whatever was going on, and I started to act more like a real person again

My opinion on the diet pills--who needs 'em? If you already have the ability to stick to your plan for 2 months, then IMO, they won't help you after that anyway. These pills are designed to do one (or both) of 2 things: control your appetite and remove excess fat from your diet. However, if you can do those things on your own, as you say you will for the next 2 months, then what do you need a pill for? That's just my take on the subject, but I'm sure some others will chime in with their own views

In any case, I'm glad you're here. I've been overweight since I was about 6 years old, and I haven't seen a number under 200 on the scale since about 7th or 8th grade. Coming here and reading/posting is one of the things that has kept me more focused for over a year now than I have ever been before. No, I haven't lost all my weight, but without the support of 3FC, I'm sure I'd actually have gained much much more by now!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #3  
Rose

S/C/G: 156/150/135

Hi, can you see if Weight Watchers is covered under your parents insurance? I have heard that it can be done with a doctor's approval. The meetings helped me after my daughter was born. I gained a lot before I got pregnant because I quit smoking and then I kept gaining through the pregnancy and after. The meeting became like therapy for me - even though I didn't talk a lot in them. I just helped to know I was not the only one stuggling.
Rose2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #4  

I only have personal experience with one diet aid and that is Xenical. I did lose weight when I was taking it and the "unpleasant" side effects were minimal in my case. But, I was absolutely terrified of having those side effects so my diet was VERY stringent. I am convinced that the medicinal purpose of the drug (blocking fat absorbtion) was NOT what contributed to my weight loss since my diet was already low fat (your body can't absorb what you don't eat. LOL). Instead, it was the fear of having an embarrassing side effect in public that kept me in line. Once I swallowed that pill, justifiying extra food (especially something like a handful of chips or candy) just wasn't an option. However, as soon as I stopped taking it, I lost the fear that had been keeping me accountable and quickly regained the weight. The cost was covered by my insurance but the process was a pain and had to be repeated with every refill.

I have friends who have taken phentermine. They report nervous energy and some crankiness. It seems to be a decent weight loss tool for someone who doesn't have much to lose (most people can't take it for more than a month at a time). From what I've seen, it does curb your appetite and you do eat less. However, as soon as you stop taking it your appetite comes back. I have one thin friend who uses it when she gains 5-10 pounds (like when she goes on vacation) and it seems to serve her purpose. I have a few obese friends who have taken it on several occasions and they are all still obese. My opinion is that Phentermine does what it is supposed to do (curbs your appetite) but doesn't do what you WANT it to (help you lose a significant amount of weight and keep it off).

In no way am I judging your decision to speak with your doctor about a diet aid. Like I said, I've done it so I know where you are coming from. I will suggest, however, that you save your money. The success rate of these drugs, even as a jump start, is very small.

Now about the anti-depressants. Please don't be afraid of them. If your doctor determines that you are clinically depressed the right one can do a world of good. It is true that the WRONG one can result in the side effects you described. Like any medication, it may take a little trial and error to get the right type and dosage. You aren't necessarily going to be dependant on them for the rest of your life (but never stop taking them without talking to your doctor first). But, believe me, a lifetime of taking a pill that makes you feel better is a much better option than going through the rest of your life depressed. I have taken Prosac and Lexapro (hated them) and WellbutrinXL (LOVE it).

And, of course, a word about counseling. If you are experiencing situational stress or depression (not caused by a chemical imbalance) couseling can really help. It makes a difference talking to a "stranger" because a he/she is not emotionally invested in you, he/she is objective. A couselor's job is not to listen to your problems and then tell you how to fix them. Instead, they listen to your problems, without judgement, offer alternative views of the subject, and help YOU solve your problems for YOURSELF. If your doctor agrees it is approprate, I hope you will reconsider therapy as a option. If your mom is a contributor to your self-esteem you might even consider family counseling for the two of you.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #5  
Learning To Fly...

You all make really good points, and I know the pill isn't too blame for all of my weight, I know that most of it is probably from trying to lose weight when I was younger and doing it the wrong way, I've probably screwed up my body so much lol I've just always wondered if it has contributed to it, because after I started taking it is when I started gaining faster (again not all b/c of the pill lol) I don't think I have to worry about getting pregenent if I switch to a lower estrogen pill, they wouldn't make if it wasn't just as effective, right? Getting pregenent wouldn't be the best thing in the world at the moment, but it is something we could handle, it isn't like I'm 14 and getting pregenent with some random guy, I would be 20 and getting pregnent with my fiance who I've been with for 4 years.

I don't think weight watchers would be covered by insurance, but I have considered it, I can sign up for 5 weeks for $100, but I'm not sure yet.

I'm still conflicted about a counsellor and anti-depressents...I know that both are covered, I would only get a certain amount of sessions with a counsellor though, but I know anti-depressents are covered b/c my mom has been on them on and off.

I think I'm going to try really hard over the next 2 months and just see how it goes, then when I go I will consider asking about anti-depressents...and maybe blood work, since I've never had it done but I'm still so afraid of needles... Blood work might be a good idea, just to check things out, I'm not saying they'll find anything but its always better safe than sorry, and I think I might just hold off on weight loss medication, I just need to believe in myself!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie14
I have to go see my doctor in 2 months to renew my birth control, and Im going to ask for a lower estrogen pill, since going off it completly is not an option and Ive always wondered if it has contributed to my weight a little bit.
I want to echo Jill's comment on this as well. Birth control pills can cause an initial weight gain-but they do not cause you to continue to gain weight while you are on them. Basically-if you start BC pills when you have not been on them before, then it is average for someone to gain 2-5 pounds or so...but that is all. You don't continue to gain weight the entire time you are on them (at least not from the pills) and BC pills do not cause you to gain a large amount-such as 20, 40, or 60 pounds. I actually lost the weight from my first child and maintained that loss until ebcoming pregnant with my second child-and the BC pills did not prevent me from losing weight, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie14
for the next 2 months, I'm going to commit myself whole heartedly to sticking to a certain calorie intake, and exercise program, no giving up after a week this time, and I'm going to track my results....I'm thinking if after two months I see very little or no progress of asking my doctor for some sort of medication to take to help me boost my weight loss and get me started...not to take forever, maybe just 3-6 months to get me started...I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to ask for? I live in Canada by the way so only stuff available here would be great! lol
I think what is important to remember here, is that you HAVE to stay committed to diet and exercise. You are young-your profile says you are still a teenager-and if you are staying committed to diet and exercise in a healthy way-you WILL see some results in that time. The key is to stay committed. I know you have been around the forum for a while...and have had a hard time sticking to a plan for one reason or another. Weight loss prescriptions are not the answer to this problem. They really aren't. Prescription diet pills will not do anything on their own-you have to stay committed to a proper diet and regular exercise.
Honestly, I don't think you should get a prescription medication...especially at your age. Prescription medications have a lot of side effects-and over the counter diet aids have even more. The key is to start making lifestyle changes, and to stop "going on diets". You have to start small, making changes that you can stick with for the rest of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie4
My mom has suggested anti-depressents or a counsellor to help with my stress, depression and low self-esteem, she has wanted me on them for a couple years now... but I've heard they make you sleepy and make you gain weight, plus I'm not sure I want to be dependent on an anti-depressent, that is why I want a weight loss medication that isn't something I have to take forever, just something to help get me started, if my doctor thinks that would help. I'm also not one for a counsellor..I don't want to talk to a stranger about my problems...but my mom thinks it will be impossible for me to lose weight with my stress level and having such low self-esteem (which is usually why I give up so easily...I think 'it won't work why bother, im destined to be fat forever' - which i know is not true, it just gets frustrating) what she doesn't realize is how she adds to the stress and low self-esteem but thats a whole other topic...
This is another reason that I don't recommend that you go on any prescription diet medications right now...or an antidepressant for that matter. Your mother isn't a counselor, or someone who is the proper judge for whether or not you should be taking an antidepressant. Also, a good physician should not prescribe them to you "just because your mom says you are depressed".

Taking prescription diet aids, or antidepressants right now, I believe, is a wrong move. You are trying to treat the symptoms of your problem (being heavy) right now, instead of trying to treat the problem itself. Antidepressants are not something to be taken lightly at all-they affect the chemical balances in your BRAIN. They should only be used if absolutely necessary...and I think it takes proper counseling with a professional to decide if they are-not just a general doctor's visit with a doctor who has talked to you for 15 minutes. I suffer from issues such as anxiety attacks and OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) and I still do not take antidepressants-because I use other methods for coping that are side-effect free. It is just my opinion that these drugs are overused...as are a lot of them.

I personally think the best thing that you can do right now IS to talk to someone-really. I am not only suggesting a counselor only...but maybe a support group for those with weight problems? Is there another girl or woman in your life with weight issues that maybe you could talk to? It can be someone who is heavy now...or even better, someone who has lost some weight successfully and maintained it?

I also suggest going over to the Maintainers forum and reading the stories there...even if you don't post anything. These ladies are in it "for life" and there is a lot to learn from them.

I am not criticizing you at all for asking about medications...but I don't think that your mother is really "helping" the situation, know what I mean? (From this and some of your other posts..)

I don't really think it is so much a matter of medications, or what plan you do, or anything other than you have to start making lifestyle changes-and realizing that this is a fight for life, and that it is going to take time. We are simply "different" than those who don't have weight problems-and this stays true even after losing the weight. We are always different "inside" as well, even if at that point-we don't look like it. We will never have the luxury of eating whatever we want and not exercising like some of our friends who don't gain weight easily. We just don't-and it makes it a heck of a lot easier once we just "accept" that fact...

I have an addiction to food that I am going to have to fight for the rest of my life. I have to exercise the rest of my life. That is just the way it is...the way it is for all of us with weight problems who overcome them, and no medication is going to change that.

If you need anything at all-please let me help you. I would like to help you out, and devise something with you to get you a taste of results over the next two months. I have been your age, and in your shoes. Just let me know.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #7  
Learning To Fly...

Thanks Aphil, I agree that my doctor isn't the right person to prescribe an anti-depressent, she has known me since I was born however, but I agree a counsellor should do it. I don't want to take anti-depressents but if they would help with my stress, low self-esteem, and my poor outlook on life then I would consider them, b/c I've tried to change, and be positive and happy but its so hard...sometimes when things are going really crappy I just think 'I wish I could just commit suicide, and get it over with, whats the point in life?' but I dont think I'd ever act on those thoughts, and then I always think about the things I'd miss, like my brother and my fiance and how much I'd miss them. And I think about all the ppl who have done that and how much it hurt their families and how many innocent ppl die everyday who would give anything to be alive, and it makes me seem selfish.

My fiance thinks I need someone to talk to as well, he said today that he thinks I need someone to talk to about what happened to me as a child, to get my frustrations out, b/c he knows Im frustrated and I think 'why did it have to happen to me?' and he's right. I just can't wrap my head around talking to a counsellor though... I sometimes talk to my fiance but it's ackward talking to him, I feel like he is going to critisize me, thats how I feel about everyone I talk to. I can't talk to my mom..she doesn't get it...my best friend is too wrapped up in her own "problems" and when I try to talk to her its like she doesnt want to hear it...

I feel so alone sometimes, and living where I am now is worse b/c most of the time I'm in our bedroom on the computer, there isn't much to do here, and my friends dont live here, I will call my mom sometimes and just want to talk and talk b/c Im so bored but I can tell she doesn't want to be on the phone..my best friend works alot, when she doesn't she is out with other friends, so I hardly talk to her..once we move out and move back to town (where I grew up) that will better, I will know more people again and have more places to go, once were settled and we can afford it I'd like to get a dog too, to keep me company and I can always talk to a dog, they don't talk back lol

We've decided were going to start saving as much money as possible, and once I get my G2 license in September I'm getting a part time job in town (b/c then I can drive myself there) and I can work on school still. Once we move to town next spring/summer (hopefully) I will either ask to go full time where I'm working at the time or find a full time job.

I agree that I need to just make lifestyle changes and stop going on diets, but its so hard for me, b/c I need to be organized and planned, its really out of control, my friend in Alberta cant stand the fact that I plan everything and I plan so far into the future, but thats how I am. I will sit here and come up with calculations upon calculations about how many calories I should have and how many I will burn each week doing certain exercises, and I will make up weekly exercise routines and figure out how much weight I *should* lose but I never stick to those plans, a week later I'm making up new ones. Its crazyness. I just need to STICK with something...

Anyway thanks again for the support...
Old 06-27-2006, 07:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Considering the problems that you are having communicating with your fiance, mother, friends, etc. and the fear that you are going to be "criticized" for how you are feeling-I think that a counselor would be the best thing maybe for you to talk to...simply because they are there to listen, and they are there to help you work through your feelings and NOT to criticize you.

Another thing that is wonderful about a counselor-is the fact that it is confidential. You can say whatever you please-without worrying that your remark or comment about a friend/family member "getting back to them". That is a big, big, perk.

I am a planner as well...and maybe together we can work something out for you to make you feel a little better? For some of us, it is just in our natures to be that way. (I currently have a very detailed list of what exactly I need to get at the store this week...of exactly every little thing I need to do or buy before my baby comes...and so forth. )

I definitely think that because you are in a newer area with friends and family not so close any longer-that we need to get you out of the house a little. Part of your depression symptoms are probably due to being cooped up in that room alone, with the computer too much. What could we do about that? I think a major key here would be to find something for YOU to get you out of the house a little...and not have it rely on your mother, or a friend who is no longer close by,etc.-but to have something for yourself NOW.

It can even be something as simple as getting outside and taking a walk around the block (or 3 or 4 blocks!) once a day just to get you some fresh air, and get out of the house. That can do major things in itself.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think you should talk to a counselor too, but know that only medical doctors (including psychiatrists) can prescribe medication. Most therapists/counselors can't.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote