Old 06-19-2006, 10:56 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 194/194/139

Default New to the Board

Hi everyone. I'm Clare, very happily married, mom to one beautiful 11 y.o. son (hence my username). I live in Southern Ontario, Canada and I'm a Special Ed. teacher, grades 4 to 8. I've done WW before and was very successful on the original plans that listed what food groups and how many to eat. Tried the Flex Plan 5 years ago and didn't do well on it (it's way too easy to spend points on chocolate ). Since then, I've done Atkins, lost 30 lbs regained 40 and South Beach, lost 15, regained 25. I injured my back 2 years ago and my activity level dropped to zero. I'm now 50 lbs overweight and have rejoined WW tonight. I'm excited to see their Core Plan and am looking forward to sticking to it over the next few months as I head toward Maintenance. My goal is to get to Maintenance for once in my life and stay there for the rest of my life.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Mammy2One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:54 AM   #2  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Default Welcome Clare

I am new here. I also tried weight watchers when they first went to the points system. It was a disaster for me. I gained instead of lost. My leader kept telling me I wasn't eating enough but I didn't believe here. While here I am, I have been on WW since Apr 28, 2006 and I have lost 21 pounds. I finally realized my leader was right. I wasn't eating enough food. I now lose approximately 2 pounds per week. I want to lose more but I also know this is not safe or realistic. I need to learn patience. I have found many good ideas from this site. I know I now say it is a newlifestyle for me not a diet. Good luck Clare and welcome.
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, both of you! Come and visit us on the Core chat board -- here's a link in case you can't find it.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86976
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #4  
focused and aiming

to both of you. come on and jump right in.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:44 AM   #5  
Melissa

we're glad to have you!
septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #6  
Slimwithin

I'm new too, although not new to 3FC. I was a long-time member of the Low Carb forum but got away from it a few years ago when I realized LC wasn't working for me. Last January I started WW Core and lost about 25 lb. I joined Curves last June and it helped me lose another 5 lb but then we went on holidays in Sept and that got me off track. Since then I've gained back about 10 lb which is causing me some breathing difficulties. I'm currently 275 lb which is, of course, over 100 lb overweight and way too much for a 5'4", 63 year old woman with diabetes. It's scary.
So, my current plan is to get back onto Core which is really an excellent and very satisfying way to eat. My biggest problem is bread. I do like my toast for breakfast and have found a wonderful whole grain bread which is just 1 pt per slice. But, of course, I like to have peanut butter and jam on it which really packs on the extra points. I got so very sick of eggs when I was on LC that I find it hard to even look at them anymore. I don't mind grainy porridge occasionally but find that with my diabetes, cereal, fruit and skim milk or yogurt just don't work for me. My blood glucose drops like a stone after about an hour and then I'm shaky and clammy. So, breakfast suggestions would be appreciated.
LindaBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:15 AM   #7  
focused and aiming

linda, it's good to have you here with us. congratulations on your success. i'm a bread eater, too. have you checked the breakfast recipes on the recipe board?
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 AM   #8  
Slimwithin

Thanks for the welcome but I don't feel like a success. This latest weight gain has really put stress on my body and what with allergies, etc, I'm having a tough time getting a good breath.
Yes, I've checked out the breakfast recipes. In fact, I believe I posted my Grainy Fruit Muffin recipe here last year. There was some controversy about it because I used the blender to grind some of the whole grains which some Core sticklers said wasn't allowed. Still, it's not an essential step and even without the blending, the muffins are a filling meal or snack.
Some of the other recipes look quite interesting and I'll have to give them a try. Another problem for me is that 4pm slump. Today, I started out having light popcorn but it just wasn't enough and I ended up having a toasted English Muffin with a chunk of cheddar cheese....not exactly Core. I guess this means I need to plan ahead better. Part of the problem is my diabetes. When the blood glucose crashes, I get shaky and will eat anything to try to get it to rise and often end up eating too much.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:22 AM   #9  
Southside White Sox Fan

Linda, I don't know how I missed your post before. I'm 50 and 270 pounds at 5' 3" so we are literally in the same boat. I have high blood pressure and cholesterol but luckily no diabetes. My husband has diabetes though, and I know exactly what you are describing about the blood sugar drop.

When doing Core properly, you'll find yourself eating 4-6 times a day which is great for a diabetic. No surges and not too many crashes. I'd recommend fruit at the 4 pm slump. I put some wonderful smoothie recipes out there that incorporate a fruit and a milk (I don't really eat yogurt) and taste fabulous. Many of them use the SF/FF instant pudding for sweetness and a thickener. Breakfast is a little more difficult if you don't have good luck with cereal and oatmeal. I almost always eat Post Shredded Wheat and Bran or Oatmeal for breakfast with some kind of fruit in each. Maybe you could just eat the cereal and then save your fruit for a short while later to avoid the crash? Maybe muffins would be a good idea. I just make some blueberry ones that were fabulous. I've given up bread, except for the occasional chicken breast sandwhich out because my points go too fast. Same with the PB and J. I miss them though and once in a blue moon buy some buy some lower calorie PB and cut up apples and dunk the apples. That satisfies my craving for the sweet with the PB.

Hope this helps and good luck on Core!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:25 AM   #10  
Southside White Sox Fan

Oh, I forgot to tell you that we aren't Core sticklers here. No Core Police, no nastiness, no sniping. We believe that a core ingredient plus a core ingredient is a core food. We know that blending grains is a bit of a tweak but we don't get to upset about it. We know in our hearts that when we stop losing sometimes it's because we are doing too many tweaks. We know that's an individual call to be made.

BTW, we have quite a Canadian representation!
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #11  
Melissa

Linda! I'm not diabetic but I have felt for quite awhile that I am borderline. I too experience those "crashes" if I don't eat some carbs in my day. I enjoy oatmeal for breakfast. Or sometimes I use pts and have a cheese sandwich. I think Core just requires a lot of planning (which I'm not very good at!). I know that others also eat LO dinners for their breakfast, which might be a good option. Maybe some LO chicken and some fruit? Just a thought. We're glad to have you!
septembersgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:07 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/217/150

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBC
I don't mind grainy porridge occasionally but find that with my diabetes, cereal, fruit and skim milk or yogurt just don't work for me. My blood glucose drops like a stone after about an hour and then I'm shaky and clammy. So, breakfast suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi linda, I am not diabetic but my mom, both grandmothers and both grandfathers and misc. uncles all are. My brother and sister is hypoglycemic. So I do know a thing or two about diabetes.

You seem to be experiencing what my sister does. I know this sounds strange when you are diabetic but it works both ways.
My mom goes back and forth from high blood sugar to low.
My sister has been hypyglycemic since she was 8 years old. And She Always has to eat a high quality Protein when she eat carbs.

I suggest you do the same. Slowing the breakdown of the carbs is the purpose of the protein. What happens is you breakdown the carbs quickly have a spike in your sugar, insulin goes into action to lower that sugar and then it gets too low. By slowing your digestion of the carbs you will not have that spike and drop.

I make this Oatmal custard that is really good. Has carbs and Protein!

Oatmeal Custard

Oatmeal, Plain (I usually use 1/2 cup raw to make 1 cup cooked)
2 egg whites
some Divinci Syrup (sugar free flavor of choice)
Cinnamon (if desired)

Mix Water and Oatmeal microwave it 1 1/2 minutes until cooked.
While oats are cooking beat egg whites, cinnamon and syrup until frothy.
Blend Egg mixture into oatmeal cook another 1 1/2 minutes until eggs are cooked. I like to pour alittle more syrup over the top Or some sugar free honey.
Let cool and enjoy.

Another thing you can do is make breakfast muffins that are made of Potatoes, onions peppers, mushrooms, Salsa and eggs.

I do this by mixing the potatoes, veggies and salsa together and then divide it up between muffin cups then pour beaten eggs up and pouring them over the mixture. Line the muffin pan with Renolds wrap release squares.

Bake 20 minutes or until done. This is great with other mixtures, Add cheese or other veggies or use beans instead of potatoes.

Here are just a couple of suggestions..Hope this helps you!

Wendy
sunshinedaizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #13  

Oops I forgot, Linda...Get back to the doctor and ask for a glucose study.
You may find that your meds are too much for your body now.

Eating right and losing weight can cause your meds to be too strong.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:08 PM   #14  
Slimwithin

Hi again. Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Some good ideas there. I knew about having a protein with a carb (that's why I had the cheese with the English muffin )
I think you might have misunderstood me when I said that cereal, fruit and milk don't work for me for breakfast. I meant just COLD cereal, fruit and milk. I don't know why but that combo makes my blood glucose go sky high and then crash suddenly. I don't have the same problem with hot oatmeal, especially the really grainy kind like 7 grain. I like to mix some chopped apple in while it's cooking and I prefer it with plain ff yogurt rather than skim milk. With a breakfast like that I'm usually good for several hours. Good tip about adding the egg whites for more protein though. I will definitely give that a try.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #15  

Linda...Cold Cereal as you put it is usually highly processes. It usually breaks down very quickly.
With HOt cereals, they are usually whole grain. Which slowly digest. Plus you are adding protein with the yogurt. and with 7 grain type products, there is probably protein naturally in the grains.

That is why you would have that problem. The more processes (ground) the grain is, the quicker it will breakdown. So it will cause the Spikes and the eventual sudden drop.

If you wanted to try a better cold cereal Try whole grain cereals, Fiber one is great. by General Mills....1/2 a cup is 0 points and has a ton of fiber. Shredded Wheat is also great. But have some hard boiled eggs on the side. or any protein that you like, I eat cold chicken breast with my breakfast cereals. Sounds weird I know but I dont "stereo type" foods and treat foods like they can only be at a certain meal. LOL!

Tacos for breakfast? sure why not? LOL!

Have a great day!