Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 01:23 AM   #1  
Dancing those pounds away

Default 300+ And Ready To Try Again

WELCOME

We are a group of people who are working together to lose our excess weight.
We are on different plans and are of different sizes.
We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
We share laughter and tears.
We share what works for us and what doesn't.
We recently started a Topic of the Day.

Monday........Motivation Monday
Tuesday.......Tuesday Tips
Wednesday.....Wednesday Weigh ins
Thursday......Thankful Thursday
Friday........Friday Facials, Fingernails and Fun
Saturday.......Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
Sunday.........Soup and Salad Sunday - recipes

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We have found them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears...joys and celebrations.

Please feel free to jump right in with us.
And be sure to check if there is a second page. We don't want anyone to miss any posts.
Old 11-24-2001, 01:30 AM   #2  

Good evening/morning all.

The last two days went pretty good. Had a nice visit with my parents and family but glad it is over. I took my parents home today. So many people and so much going on kind of stresses my mom. I know she enjoyed being here.. but she is glad to be home again.

Friday I had an on program breakfast. Then an on program lunch. No problem. Then when I got home..... the left over pies were calling my name. The leftover veggies were silent, so was the turkey, only the PIES were screaming for me. LOL
I must have opened that refrigerator door a thousand times and looked at them. Again , and again, and again.
Finally I ate one of the pecans on the pecan pie. then a second pecan.
I was saved by my daughter. She asked me if I had cheated all day. I told her no. She then told me to put that pie down and go drink a glass of water. She said..."Mom, you don't really want that after doing so well the last two days. It is only the carbs calling you home. Don't go there."
What an angel she was.
Those carbs were like little devils calling me back into their trap.
I did not fall for it... thanks to my darling daughter.

When I took my parents home I got to weigh. I did lose one more pound. Not a lot.. but good considering it was the day after Thanksgiving.
My greatest accomplishment for Thanksgiving was that I DID NOT overeat. I was not stuffed. I did not need to go lay down and let my food settle. I ate on program.
Tonight by far was much much harder than Thursday. I was mentally prepared for Thanksgiving. I let my determination be swayed Friday evening.... But I did not give in to it.

I better get going. I still have 2 more days with my daughters. We are having a very nice visit. We are going to the movies again tomorrow and some shopping. May not be back till late Saturday night. I hope to find lots of posts.
BE SURE TO POST whether you were on program or not. We are here for you if you strayed... and here for you if you didn't. Either way.... we ALL need to be here together. WE ARE FAMILY.
Old 11-24-2001, 06:23 PM   #3  
Syn
ONE BITE AT A TIME*Loser*

Hey All...

I was surfing and came across this 0 point cookie recipe...thought it might be a good one to use that wouldn't sabatoge us too bad when we are doing our Christmas baking!

Peppermint Meringues
Makes 3 dozen

2 egg whites
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
2 peppermint candy canes, crushed

In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Sprinkle with salt and cream of tartar;

Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until
soft peaks form, about 7 min.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased foil or
paper lined baking sheets; sprinkle with the crushed candy.

Bake at 225* for1 -1/2 hrs. Turn off heat; leave cookies in the oven with door ajar for at least 1 hr, or until cool. Store in airtight container.

Per cookie: cal 21, sod 12mg, chol 0, carb 5g, prot trace, 0 fat
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit

I am in a hurry, but will try to write more next time...Just know I am thinking of you all and wishing you well.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:06 PM   #4  

Default Need to get back on program

Hi everybody

I haven't posted to this board in a couple of months and since I got the week off I have been catching up on some posts.

I have really fallen off program big time. I haven't been eating a whole lot it's just that I don't even care what I eat or if I exercise. Since I have had some time off I have had the opportunity to think about my health and how badly I have been treating my body. I have used the Richard Simmons Deal a Meal and I bought the Foodmover so I'm getting it out tonight and I will start with the program tomorrow. I am also going to go the Y and walk a mile or two. I hope this gives me the kick I need to get started.

Well I will be checking in again tomorrow and could use all the encouragement I can get.

By the way, I weigh about 246 and would like to lose 100 pounds. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me

Thanks for reading.

Suzygirl
Old 11-24-2001, 10:38 PM   #5  
Michigan Old-Timer

Hi everybody! Glad to see some of us are around. I need to get back to journalling so I know how I have really done. I'm afraid to say because I don't know for sure. I feel like I've been pretty good, but I'm also pretty good at fooling myself too. ARGH!!!!

The baby has gone back to school. I finished his laundry and he was determined to return to the Frat house.

We got out the Christmas lights today and none of the strings that we put on the house last year would light, so it's off tomorrow to see just what we need to buy again!!! *grumble, grumble* Why don't they just call the darn things 'disposable'?????

I had a 1/2" sliver of the DH's pecan pie last night, but other than that have stuck to my pumpkin alternative pie and behaved myself. I made a great little casserole with left over turkey tonight for dinner, didn't WW point it out, but I used all light ingredients so it shouldn't be too awful. Just in case any of you have anymore leftovers in the fridge, here it is:

Leftover Turkey Casserole

3 cups left over turkey, cut up
1 can 98% FF cream of chicken soup
light Velvetta cheese, sliced thin
1 pkg. Stuffing mix prepared, or 3/4 cup leftover stuffing
2 cups broccoli

Spray casserole dish with Pam. Layer ingredients in this order: turkey, broccoli, cheese, soup and stuffing. Bake covered, at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, then take lid off for another 15 minutes to brown.

Thinthinker note: I used corn, 'cuz the guys won't eat broccoli. It turned out excellent, both of my guys thought it was great!

2cute: I'm so glad you had such a nice time with your folks. I know in the back of their minds they probably wonder how many more holidays you will all have together. I'm sure they appreciated all of your efforts to go and get them. * Congrats on another pound. You go girl, it keeps coming off. How nice of your daughter to 'gently' remind you of how well you have done!!!

Syn: Those meringues sound good. I have some more recipes for meringues, maybe I'll get to typing them up tomorrow.

Suzygirl: Welcome to our little corner of the world!!! We're glad to have you here. * The biggest part of the battle is being determined to start again. We're all here for you. Post often!!!

Well, girls, I'm gonna run again. Talk with you all soon.

"I soon realized that no journey carries one far unless, as it extends into the world around us, it goes an equal distance into the world within." - Lillian Smith
Old 11-25-2001, 01:58 AM   #6  

It is getting close to 1am so it must be time for me to post.

I have been cooking all night again. Sunday I am having a house full of people over for a lasagna dinner to celebrate my DDin-law birthday. I made the lasagna in advance tonight so all I need to do is throw it in the oven and heat. I can do all the clean up tonight and have a clean house for the company. Plus, I get to relax more instead of working my butt off all morning. When I can do the messy work ahead of time it sure makes for a more fun visit for me.

My food was good today. I had a big breakfast but all legal. Then only ate turkey for lunch. dinner was okay too. BUT tonight cooking tomorrow's dinner and then a delicous dessert was almost too much for me. I have to admit... I licked my fingers more than once. I even licked one bowl. I don't think it will mess me up... but the fact is... I want to change those bad habits. It is not neccessary and those calories and sweets and fats and carbs all count... even if I don't count them.

Thin.... I think it is time to teach that boy how to wash clothes. LOL
With a mom as good as you he will never leave home. Home cooked meals, laundry service, sleeping late, no cleaning.... oh, to be young again.

Don't you just hate those darn Xmas lights. Grrr
It never fails that a least half always need replaced.
Hopefully tomorrow my son will get in our attic and get ours down. I love the lights. We always drive around town and look at them. We have a Bible College here that goes ALL OUT. Millions and millions of lights. This year is the prettiest year yet.

Suzy girl... WELCOME to our group. Richard Simmons has a good program. I intend to start my exercise program with him after the first of January. I swim now about 3-4 times a week. December is sooo busy I just decided to start in Jan... right or wrong.

Syn... I am not much of a peppermint person... but those sound so cute and easy I may try them for company and friends. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Soup and Salad Sunday. I would share my recipes from the dinner I am fixing for tomorrow but it is way tooo fattening.
I am making myself a moch lasagna. I am using those bean sprouts to substitute the lasagna noodles. More like spaggetti .... I can't wait. It really is pretty good.
Next week I am making a moch mashed potato with turnips. I know, I know.... It sounds AWFUL. But I am told it is pretty good. I am going to try it anyways. I will let you know how it turns out. I made it the other day with cauliflower and it was okay. Of course no one else would touch it.

Only one week left to officially celebrate fall before winter and xmas take over... so I better get these fall pictures in before it is too late.
Old 11-25-2001, 11:08 AM   #7  
Michigan Old-Timer

Good morning everyone! Food has been good so far! I've had my vitamins and a glass of water!!! Can't be all bad!

Well, we woke up to rain and alot of wind this morning so I'm guessing that putting up lights will be out of the question unless it clears up later on.

Here are the rest of the meringue recipes I copied for you all. Nice low/no WW point treats.

Vanilla-Almond Kisses
from the book Sweetie Pie by Richard Simmons

Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake: at 225 degrees for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours
Makes: 52

¼ cup + ½ cup superfine sugar
1 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract

1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, or use reusable nonstick cookie sheet liner. Place a 3/8 inch wide star tip into 12” pastry bag. (If you don’t have pastry bad and star tip, don’t worry! You can drop little mounds of meringue with a measuring tablespoon—they won’t look as pretty as the piped ones, but they’ll taste just as good.)

2. In small bowl, mix ¼ cup sugar with cornstarch and reserve. In medium bowl, with electric mixer on high speed, beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining ½ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Reduce mixer speed to medium and gradually beat in reserved sugar-cornstarch mixture until incorporated. Add vanilla and almond extracts. Increase mixer speed to high and beat 5 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl several times, until stiff and glossy peaks form. If using the pastry bag, fill with mixture.

3. Onto prepared baking sheet, pipe kisses, spacing ½ inch apart. Or drop mixture by rounded tablespoonfuls.

4. For crisp meringues, bake in 225 degree oven until firm to the touch and crisp throughout, about 1 ½ hours, turning baking sheet once from front to back halfway through baking. For chewier meringues, bake about 1 ¼ hours, rotating sheet once halfway through baking. Cool meringues slightly on baking sheet on wire rack. Transfer meringues to wire rack to cool completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Nutrient value per kiss: 13 calories, 0g protein, 0g fat, 3g carbs, 3mg sodium, 0mg chol.

Kiss Variations

Orange Kisses: Substitute 1 teaspoon orange extract for vanilla and almond extracts and add 12 drops orange food coloring.
Strawberry Kisses: Substitute 1 ½ teaspoons strawberry extract for vanilla and almond extracts and add 12 drops red food coloring.
Mint Kisses: Substitute ¼ teaspoon mint extract for almond extract and add 12 drops green food coloring.
Cocoa Kisses: Substitute 1 ½ teaspoons chocolate extract for vanilla and almond extracts. After beating egg white mixture, sift 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder over mixture and fold it gently in until thoroughly blended.

2cute: I'm sure the dear boy will not let laundry service and food service stop him from moving out. There are some rules here that he will have a hard time adhering to once he's out of school, I'm sure. Like a curfew!!! Have a great time with all of your company. You're right about have a clean kitchen feeling good when you have company. I washed all of my prep dishes as I went along for Thanksgiving and it really made a difference in the clean up time.

Where's everyone else??? Come on in and talk to us, we're lonely! Love to all.

"Life loves to be taken by the lapel and be told: I am with you, kid. Let's go." - Maya Angelou
Old 11-25-2001, 11:22 AM   #8  

Mornin'!!

Well, I am doing some better. Got back on the 'ol wagon yesterday. I had one small slip up, but nothing devistating. I had leftover breadsticks from work in the fridge and ate 3 of those. I actually managed to leave work yesterday without bringing anything home. It felt weird to leave empty handed. It wouldn't be so hard if I had to pay for the stuff, but I get it for free, and i can make the pizzas myself so they are just the way I like them. I have the next two days off so hopefully I can detox from the pizza .

It has been SOOOO long since I exercised! I used to be able to do the whole hour of Tae Bo Advanced (except for the jump kicks! I don't do any exercise where both feet leave the ground. The landing impact is just too much). Yesterday I dusted off the Tae Bo and forced myself to put it in the VCR. I only made it through 20 minutes before I dropped, and I am o-so-sore today. Ouchie! So, I suppose I must force myself to do it again, and again.

2Cute: WOW!! You've lost 26 pounds!! That is so great! I'm so happy to see you are doing so well and winning the day to day battles. You are such an inspiration!!

TT: I'm with you. I've GOT to start journaling again. It's amazing how good we can be at lying to ourselves. My journal kept me honest. I really believed I had been good, but to look at my journal, then I knew better. We can do it though!! I know we can!!

Suzygirl: Welcome!! Sounds like we have a bit in common!! I too am just getting back on track after a LONG time. I started out at 242 in February wanting to lose about 100 pounds and get down to around 145. I did really well for a while. A couple of months ago I hit 182, the smallest I have been in 9 years. My life has recently been plagued with extra stress (life in general is always stressful, but this has been WAY more than usual) and just stopped caring. I don't know how I could let myself do that after coming so far. But then I don't know how I let myself gain so much in the first place. My highest weight was actually about 260 I think. I stopped getting on a scale after I saw 255. Now I am 189, so the damage isn't too bad or as bad as it could have been if I didn't stop it now. My goal is 10 lbs by Christmas. I know that sounds like I'm pushing it, but I'll probably drop a lot this first week, like i always do, just from excess water weight. Anyhow, WELCOME and hope to hear from you again. This is a fabulous place for love and support!!

My other goal in life is to NOT weigh more than once a week. I have always been the compulsive weigher. EVeryday, sometimes 2 to 3 times a day. I KNOW it is self defeating. I weighed yesterday morning so I knew where I was starting. I stayed off the scale this morning. I am going to stay off it until next Saturday....I think . NO NO NO..... I WILL stay off it.

OK. Well, it's time to make some more sore muscles with Tae Bo. Talk at you all later,
Jen
Old 11-25-2001, 07:04 PM   #9  
I'm on my way!

Good evening everyone!!

Just a quick hello...I need to get out of the bedroom so my son will go to sleep instead of standing in the crib screaming in my ear!

I have been out of control since Thanksgiving day and I think I got it out of my system for now and will be right back on track tomorrow morning. I am going to journal and drink my water each day. That is my goal for the week. I do so much better when I track!

Keep those cookie recipes coming....I am gathering my supplies as they go on sale so I will be ready to bake without having to run to the store to get stuff! I went today...I am so proud of myself!!! My total came to $103.85 and I only paid...$56.74...can you stand it!! Wish I could do that EVERY time I went grocery shopping!

Well have a good night ladies, I will catch up to you all tomorrow!

Michelle
Old 11-25-2001, 09:51 PM   #10  

Boy am I glad this holiday weekend is OVER. LOL
I had a great weekend. One of the best ever. But I am ready to get back to a more normal schedule and a stricter food plan again. I am ready for "temptation" to be out of my daily life. I am even ready to have veggies and salads to be more a part of my life again. Who would have ever thought I would say that.

My youngest daughter just left about 30 minutes ago. It is just me and DH for the next week. That sounds sooo good. LOL. Plus, my house is still clean.
Now my garage is a MESS though. We drug down all the Christmas boxes from the attic. Plus we have all the camper stuff there too since we sold our camper.
I am going to be working in the garage all day tomorrow because it is supposed to get down to 20 degrees tomorrow night and I like to park in the garage. I hate getting out in the morning for swimming and have to go directly into the cold morning air.

We had a very productive day today. We not only had my DDinlaw birthday. We also put up the outside lights, raked and bagged leaves, fixed a spot on our roof, and got down Christmas decorations. I got my house clean AGAIN after everyone left. I feel good tonight.

I think I mentioned I lost one more pound on Friday after Thanksgiving. Well, today, the Sunday after I "feel" l like I have gained 10lbs. LOL.
I know a lot of it is water retention. I ate a lot of salty foods and I did not drink my water. Water washes out water from your body. Soooo, tomorrow I am downing at least a gallon.
I am still DETERMINED to do what it takes to lose this weight. We have one month till Christmas. My goal will be 10 lbs by Christmas. I will accept less but I will "work for" those 10lbs.

That means I have to do more than just "wish" it away.
I will have to eat more veggies and less legal treats.
I will have to be more active.
I will have to drink more water and less diet pop.
I will have to feed my mind with good thoughts as well as my body with good food.
I will have to be "dedicated" to my food plan.
I CAN DO THIS.... and so can you. Let's do it together.

I know I probably need to respond to some posts... but I am writing this off line and can't remember what. I am not avoiding anybody... I just truly don't remember all I have read over the last couple of days.

Ladies... TODAY is a new day.
Let's all take advantage of our gift of a new day.....a new beginning if needed.
Let's not settle for "hopefully tomorrow". Let's do it TODAY !!!!
Old 11-26-2001, 11:29 AM   #11  

Default I am finished, done, stopped.

HI guys...

I am just stopping in long enough to say... "I AM DONE EATTING BREAKFAST"
I just want to EAT this morning. Grrr I have str-etch-ed my breakfast far enough.
It is time now to STOP !!!! I am using you to make it official. I have now FINISHED eatting. I am not going to eat anymore. Whew... I am glad I came in here.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Motivation Monday. I am motivated to get back on my program. Not that I have been cheating... but stretching .... that is possible.

I have a lot to do today. My garage is not getting clean with me in here. I will be back often today I am sure. I do better if I post often and read more. MAKE it a good day today ladies.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:05 PM   #12  

Default Gulp, gulp, gulp....

One liter of water down. That is 33.8 oz.
I still have a ways to go... but I am on my way to one gallon.
Trust me friends... water will help you not eat. You just don't have room for food.

Bottoms up... gulp, gulp, gulp.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:55 PM   #13  
I'm on my way!

Wow! I didn't post today...I guess I got really busy at work...yeah right! I was busy looking up sites on home day care! I think I am going to put an ad in the paper next week and try to get two kids lined up for January to start with. That will give me the same income I am bringing home now after taxes and paying my OWN child care! Then I will ease in one or two more and maybe do a couple of after school care. Once I get two lined up I can give my notice at work. But I am going to aim for January so I can get through the holidays.

2Cute..I would love to hear about your experience!

I am finally back on track today. I have only used 15 points and I already had dinner...AND I got in 7 glasses of water so far today! AND I wrote it all down! Now if I can keep up this way...I didn't weigh in this weekend so I am hopefully looking for a maintain or a very very small gain come next Sunday to make up for all the chinese food I had this weekend!

Well, I better get my son ready for bed! I will catch you all later on tonight or tomorrow morning!

Michelle
Old 11-27-2001, 10:52 AM   #14  

Default Tuesday Tips

Good morning everyone.
Here it is Tuesday and I feel I am still recuperating from Friday. Thanksgiving was easier than Friday. I didn't overeat or stray that far... but it certainly put me into a different mindset. I am having to make a "conscious effort" to follow my program, instead of it coming so naturally. Not just the food. The being active, productive, positive ... the works. BUT... I am getting there.

I did learn one lesson. I am not going to tempt myself again by baking all of my "favorite" desserts for Christmas. Even though I did well... it just lingers in my mind.

That is my Tuesday Tip. There are plenty of legal foods to make for family and friends. Don't tempt yourself by making the non-legal ones.
Tip Two... your recovery is MORE IMPORTANT than any food.

The Christmas holidays last allllllll month. So make that decision now and save yourself a lot of temptations.

I am back to the garage today. Unfortunately I did not get it all done yesterday. I just couldn't get into full gear. I got about half done. Now today, I have to do it in the cold. Brrrrr. It is suppose to snow tonight so I HAVE to get in the mood today. I guess it being soooo cold will make me move faster. LOL
I told you guys I am a procrastinator. Now I pay the price for it.

Don't forget... if 2 more post we will be going to the second page. No one ever voted on a new thread at 14 or go to a second page.
Old 11-28-2001, 02:16 AM   #15  

Default Starting new thread

Well ... I don't know where everyone is but I think I will start a new thread since the next post will go to the second page.
I will save my post for the new thread.

Do not reply in this thread.

Instead go to 300+ and Ready To Try Again... #108
See you all there. Hopefully. LOL
Closed Thread