General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #1  

Default My Icky Shower Floor

I cannot believe I am asking this, but I am at a loss what to use.

I have a fiberglass shower enclosure. The floor of this sucker is IMPOSSIBLE ( or so it seems) to get clean without using steel wool or a pumice stone or something like that. No I haven't tried those yet because I think I'd probably damage the floor.

Any one have any suggestions on what to use? I've tried scrubbing bubbles, and all sorts of other "shower products". Is there anything that requires little effort.. as in spray on , walk away and come back and rinse or am I just wishing on rainbows?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

bleach?
Old 06-26-2006, 02:23 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

This depends on what kind of dirt you having going on in the shower. If its water-spot type stains, CLR makes a good spray-on cleanser to get rid of calcium, lime, and rust - and its very much "spray, walk away, and rinse". If you have more of a mildew problem on the floor, get a mold and mildew remover with bleach - tilex makes a good one - and again, spray, walk away, and rinse.

Have you tried a brush on the floor? If you get one with plastic bristles, these can sometimes get in cracks and crevices without being as abrasive as pumice or steel wool. Another option might be to use a semi-abrasive cleaner like Comet, depending on whether your shower surface will tolerate it...just add water, make a paste, and scrub after its had 20 min to sit or so. Its less abrasive than pumice.

If this is a big problem for you, you might consider getting a bottle of daily shower cleaner to spritz in there after you shower. This will keep the problem, once you resolve it, from building up again.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:27 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Maybe Vim with Bleach, I love VIM! Cleans everything.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:34 PM   #5  
Addicted to potato salad!

Is it Clorox or Mr Clean that puts out a spot eraser? They advertise that it gets to the textured floors of shower inserts. I used to have well water that was DISGUSTING and made every place that had the water flowing through it (washer, sinks, ruined the dishwasher) RUSTY. My shower was constantly the color of a penny. So, one day I realized that my toilet seemed to clean well with Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner, so I tried it on my shower and it worked like magic!! The fumes were highly toxic, though...so open windows and a mask is in order...and gloves...and rinse well. But I'd use that with a clean toilet bowl brush to get in the texture and it would work. I'd try it, but only as a last resort.

Good luck!!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:36 PM   #6  
Gina

S/C/G: 223/199/150

Height: 5'7"

I use SOS pads on mine all the time, doesn't seem to make any scratches, and gets the scum off good!! (Oh my God, are we really admitting that our bathtubs have SCUM??!!)---Gina
Old 06-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

Oh, I forgot about the wonderful Mr. Clean magic eraser! That thing will get out ANYTHING.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:50 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

That magic eraser actually works? I thought it sounded too good to be true.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:54 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

that thing is FABULOUS. In fact, my grandfather had HUGE rust stains in a shower very similar to the one you're describing - a little magic eraser and boom, stains are all gone. I don't know how the work, but they're brilliant.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Very nice! I am going to pick some up! My parents just bought my boyfriend and I a house to rent, and I am sure it needs a good clean (that is how I am spending my long weekend) probably a couple of those and I will be done in half the time! Are they safe to use on everything? Like in the fridge? washing machine? dishwasher, etc?

About the only cleaning supplies I own is some lysol and vim, haha. Oh and can't forget the windex. I wash my whole house with vim tho, lol.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:59 PM   #11  
my baby with bubbles

S/C/G: 180/152/140

I have an issue with Hardwater. I have found that there is a dishsoap brand that has a spray on cleaner, that you spray on let sit for a few minutes and wipe off. I use that and it works really good! Also if you can find it Simple Green, That used to be the only thing I used to clean my bathtub, it stinks but it cleans everything.

Also since we are talking about admitting our houses well bathrooms are filled with scum, have any of you checked out www.flylady.com it is great, this lady tells you common knowledge stuff that we just never do to keep our houses clean. like the toilet, keep a crock filled with soap, (I mixed off brand 409 with water) and leave your toilet brush in it, every morning swish it around in the toilet. it takes two seconds, what a great idea (if you don't have tiny kids that play in there) she also says you should spray down your shower everyday, even if you don't get every spot of yuck if you do 2 seconds everyday sooner or later you'll have no spots to clean. and never go to bed with out a shiny sink, cook with a sink full of soapy water, you'll always drop the dirty dishes in there and food doesn't get stuck so they are easier to clean. I personally use my dishwasher less now. She has ton's of great ideas, I have been taking babysteps for 2 weeks now and My house is so much more organized and less hectic in the mornings now. I highly recomend it!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 PM   #12  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

KABOOM! That is the best stuff ever! You spray it on...wait a few minutes and wipe off with a sponge, and rinse. My DH was amazed at how clean it gets the shower and we too have the same type of shower as you. Of course depending on what and how dirty the shower is you may have to do it a couple of times but it works! And it only has a slight odor, doesn't bother me at all, not like Tilex or bleach that makes my eyes burn. I tried bleach, tilex and just about every other cleaner there is and then discovered Kaboom and have been using it ever since.

Okay, never heard of vim...what the heck is it?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #13  
Starting Fresh

http://www.unilever.ca/ourbrands/homecare/vim.asp <<<< VIM
They have all different ones, with bleach, gel, bathroom, kitchen, lemon, etc.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:11 PM   #14  

Yeah Flylady!!! i've been a flybaby since July of 2005.
I have really bad hard water issues too, But by just scrubbing a section of my shower every day I have managed to clear up most of the problem. I use a grout bruch because we have tile and the same soap I use on me :wink: Except for my shower doors (which I admit are a continual problem my shower sparkles!
Old 06-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #15  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

man this is a subject I should stay away from...I use "all natural" products which seem to do a good job, I stay away from the majic eraser it has fromeldehyde (sp?) in it EWWW...I am the exception I think...I just stay way from all the "powerful" stuff cuz a lot of what they put in them has been inked to cancer...
Closed Thread