Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-25-2006, 10:53 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8.5"

Cool How do you support YOURSELF??

Sure, it's great to receive (and give) support and encouragement to others... but are you doing anything special to support yourself? (Speaking in a practical, physical sense... like new makeup or...???) Of course what we do needs to depend on our budgets... but even if it is just something from the dollar store... or pick a flower and put it in a vase... or a homemade "progress sign" you make... what are you doing?

This weekend I splurged on some new makeup and also bought several tubes of Palmer's Cocoa Butter cream (at $1.98 each) to slather all over myself after my pool workouts and shower. Feels soooooooooooooo soothing and makes my skin feel soft.

I am also planning (forgot) to get some special shower gel which I can use only after I have worked out. In Florida I used to have some peppermint stuff which was great in hot weather.

Things like this do help to make us feel more feminine, especially since I think that is a problem for most of us who are dealing with serious weight issues.

What else can you think of that would be helpful? Anything specifically YOU would like to personally do to make you feel better along your journey?
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #2  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

The special bodywash after a workout is a great idea! For right now, I am looking around at clothes...not only as a success gift, but because all of my old ones are falling off of me! I have a hard time rewarding myself, and I am pretty hard on myself...not sure why.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:44 PM   #3  

Yah clothes are always good! I had so much too small stuff in my closet that actually I have more now than I did before I lost the weight so am trying to hold off a bit longer on that unless I can find some thrift store stuff!

As for being hard on yourself, I think that is a tendency many of us have who are struggling with weight issues. Let's face it... our society is very unaccepting of people who are overweight. You have done a great job on your weight loss so hang in there and do something special just for you!!!
Old 06-25-2006, 11:51 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, Misti--you are SO right about society's view of overweight people...

My mom and I were just talking about going to check out thrift stores so I can find some clothes. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on a whole new wardrobe since I have more weight to lose!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:31 AM   #5  
hara hachi bu

Default Supporting Myself

I support myself by reminding myself of compliments and NSVs on a regular basis (and learning to say "thank you" when I get them, and truly meaning it). I make sure to allow enough time in my schedule to prepare lunches for work, and to prepare food in the evening instead of eating restaurant food. I'm starting to stand up for myself more often in other ways seemingly not related to weight, too. I research meals at restaurants ahead of time to make sure I can get a healthy plan in place. If I have no control, I make sure to balance my diet before/after the event so I get my vegetables in and don't go TOO over on carbs, fats, and protein.

I reward myself by getting "new" clothes from thrift shops, by trying on things (old "fat" clothes or stuff that now fits that used to not fit) regularly to remind myself of my changing body, by taking pictures of myself and comparing them to "before" pictures. I try to keep the rewards directly related to my body.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:58 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I reward myself by looking in the mirror several times a day. This used to make me cry before losing weight. I also use lotion every night after my shower and workout. My DH is glad to put lotion anywhere that I can't reach and this usually leads to more than the massage. So, this is a reward too. LOL. I buy clothes as needed and this is a great reward too.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:55 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

For every workout I do, and every day where I consider myself to have eaten healthily, I put 50p in a savings account. This is accumulating nicely and when I'm done, I will spend it all on having a professional "fitness-model" type photo shoot.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 AM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

I love shopping at thrift shops but very rarely find clothes that fit. My local Goodwill has a lot of name brand merchandise because I live in a big college town. Some of the younger college students follow the fads, so they don't wear items that long. The bad side is that most of the clothes are size 0, 2, 4, or 6.

I love purses and shoes. I reward myself when I've been doing good or because I'm feeling blue with purses and shoes. It's a win-win situation.
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #9  

These are some great ideas! I check thrift shops too but most of them don't have anything that fit me as they don't carry many plus sizes, which I still need... but my biggest problem -- even in retail stores -- is that all the blouses are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too short! And the more weight I lose the shorter stuff gets since they make the larger sizes about 6" longer than the smaller ones. Oh well... I'll get there someday!!

I used to put $$$$ into my "bank" too for rewards but haven't done that lately... that is a good one though! Need to start it up again!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:23 AM   #10  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Hey all

Misit~ great post!!

I have really been into painting my toe nails...each week is a different colour. I do a whole "at home pedicure" ~ I take a bath, scrub my feet, moisturize, then paint to high heaven!!!

I also buy new workout clothes every few months, gives me the extra egde to go to the gym and show the new stuff off!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #11  

That's a great idea about painting the toenails! Generally I have to wear pretty sturdy shoes because of foot problems, but a friend just gave me a pair of sandals which didn't fit her but are perfect for me and so supportive! I never even do my fingernails! But perhaps that should be my next glamour effort.

Also I haven't worn a skirt in years... don't like them when I am fat... but I have some really nice ones in the closet and am going to look for some tops to match them and shock everyone by showing up in a skirt now and then. Not practical to wear them on my job but to church now and the would be nice. <G>
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 AM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I wouldn't wear pants when I was heavier, only skirts. Now I mostly wear pants. Hate my legs

I love getting lotions and bath gels for rewards too (and I'm more interested in makeup now). I'll do new clothes, but like you were saying, Cassie, they don't always get full usage (but I do lose weight slowly, so not so bad). I give myself non-body stuff too, like CDs, DVDs, books.

I even use activities as a reward. Like buying tickets to an event. Or little trips.

I think it's easy for me to use my weight as an excuse to not go out and do things an be in the world. It's like a double positive for me to lose the weight and go out as a treat/reward.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 06-26-2006 at 09:55 AM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #13  
I'm bringin' SEXY back!!!

Height: 5'3 1/2

I love all of your ideas. I think I will splurge on some nice bath gels this weekend. I have learned that I love scented talcum powders so I may get that too.
teahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
That's a great idea about painting the toenails! Generally I have to wear pretty sturdy shoes because of foot problems, but a friend just gave me a pair of sandals which didn't fit her but are perfect for me and so supportive! I never even do my fingernails! But perhaps that should be my next glamour effort.
Treat yourself to a pedicure. There's a place in Bellevue (near Bellevue Square Mall) that has fabulous "spa" pedicures - including a 10 minute calf massage. Droooool.

My toes are currently painted bright red with flowers/jewel on the big toes. After YEARS of never painting my toenails, it definitely makes me feel feminine.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #15  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I paint my fingernails every week and DH paints my toenails. This does make me feel more feminine. He started painting my toenails when I was too big to reach them, now he just does it because we both like it. I also buy shoes a lot with open toes and it looks so much better.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote