Old 06-22-2006, 01:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

Dinach- I still can't figure out why the lettuce shrimp wraps are ph2! I looked up what hoisin sauce is- does not have sugar in it...hmmmm, I'm stumped. I have 3 kids, so I don't put a ton of effort into breakfast or lunch. Breakfast for me is always coffee w/ ff cream & 2 eggs w/ 1 egg white- mushrooms, green pepper- sometimes I will add turkey bacon and cheese. I did try the mock french toast, it was alright. I think it would be better w/ some modifications, I just haven't taken the time to work w/ it.
Lunch is always lean deli meats & cheese or egg salad wrapped in romaine w/ mustard. Thats fast and easy. Hope this helps a bit!
Luc's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:20 AM   #2  

I just checked my bottle of Hoison sauce and the first ingredient is sugar. I use it in my Mu Shu Pork but I try not to use too much. I would definitely wait until phase 2 to use it. If anyone finds a brand that does not have sugar, please post the brand. I haven't been able to find one.

Welcome to all the newbies! I normally post regularly but am teaching cub scout camp this week and am just starting to find a few minutes to post.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #3  

Barb- I looked up hoisin sauce on the food network site (foodtv.com). They offer a encyclopedia of ingredients, type in what your looking for and up pops the info. I thought hoisin sauce had some sort of sweetener in it, but according to food tv, there wasn't fruit or sugar listed. I have some oriental cookbooks with authentic recipes, I'll look for hoisen recipe there, maybe I'll find one. Also, I will look the next time I'm at the store, if I find anything sf, I'll post it.
IMHO, I think the wraps would be tasty w/out the hoisen added.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #4  

Barb- I found this version of hoisin sauce, I haven't tried it, and don't have anything planned that will use it in the near future. If someone wants to try it, please post results. Maybe you could replace the honey/molasses w/ SF maple syrup????

Hoisin Sauce

4 Tbsp Soy sauce, (dark/light/usual)
2 Tbsp Natural Peanut butter/black bean pas
1 Tbsp Honey/molasses
2 tsp White vinegar
1/8 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Sesame seed oil
20 drops Chinese-style hot sauce
1/8 tsp Pepper

*EXPERIMENT! Now you have control of the taste. Lighter for chicken and pork, stronger for beef and game. Sweeter for Dim Sum.

*The commercial recipe is presumably the black bean paste. I presume they are the same as Mexican/Spanish black beans.

*Different types of soy, molasses, some of the oil being hot pepper oil, other styles of pepper sauce. All kinds of variations. However, with light soy and honey, the taste of peanut dominates.

*Simply mix together. At first it does not appear like it will mix but keep at it just a bit longer and you have Hoisin. Letting it rest does not appear to improve the taste noticeably.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #5  

Thanks! I'll have to try it soon. Maybe in the Mu Shu Pork where it is added separately on the tortilla rather than in the Peking Pasta with chicken where it is in the sauce. At least until I see what it tastes like.

I've been using KAME brand Hoisin Sauce and its ingredients are: sugar, rice vinegar, soy beans, caramel color, salt, food starch modified, natural flavor and chili pepper. So I think the black beans would be close to the soy beans and I could use rice vinegar since I have that.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Hoisin is sort of an oriental "barbecue sauce." If you can find an oriental grocery in your area, you will find several brands, and I've noticed the sugar and calorie count vary tremendously (just like american bbq sauce).

Hoisin is very strongly flavored, so you really use very little. I use maybe a 1/2 tsp on a tortilla or lettuce leaf when I make MuShu chicken or pork.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:28 PM   #7  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

I love hoisin sauce, esp House of Tsang brand, mmmmm. They also make a spicy brown bean suace that is surprisingly similar but i think the sugar was a bit lower. The beauty of these sauces though is that as they heat they thin out so a little goes a very long way. A few tsp for the whole recipe.
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote