Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50-60 year olds #81

Looks Like I have to do all the work around here

We are having a good rain storm again today. We sure needed it. It did rain the other day for a while but then nothing for a few days.

It's been a quiet Fathers Day around here. I asked DH where he wanted to go for dinner and he went out to clean the grill so he cooked. He did ask for potato salad so I made a very small bowl.

Called my Mom and she is out running around with one of my brothers i guess . That is a good thing. I always make sure i call on Sunday because she told me Sundays are always the loneliest. She has gotten brave enough to drive her van in town now that winter is over.

Maria sounds like she will be glad to get home. I will be happy to see all he pictures I'm sure they are wonderful. Also Maria an new Grand child on the way my,my.my. That's wonderful.

Tuesday at WW i lost 1.8 pounds at the scale i almost fell off of it i never lose that much at once. That puts me at -10.6# Not sure how this week is going to go. I've been eating everything in sight. I'll let you know how it goes . Still walking and now a few of us in the park are doing a Leslie Sansons2 Mile walk 3 days a week in the club house.

My doctors appointment went OK. he was pleased my weight has dropped. he put me om a new medication for the migraines. I've been having way to many and taking way to many Imatrix. They are very hard on your heart. Any way so far so good .

Have to shut this down there is lightening

Karen
Old 06-19-2006, 02:43 AM   #2  

G'day all......

I am HOME!!!!!!
Arrived a few hours ago and of course have heaps to do.
Talk to you soon.

Chhers
Maria
Old 06-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #3  
Web Nana

WELCOME HOME< MARIA

I'm sure you are glad to be able to be in the same bed more that one night in a row! It will take a while to unpack, clean, and unwind but now you have something very special to look forward to....a new grandchild. Hurrah! You must be so excited.

Not much going on here but we did have a nice quiet Father's Day. DH either saw or heard from all four of the kids and we ordered 2 1 1/2 lb. steamed Lobsters and sat and devoured the entire thing. Delish. I had juices flowing from each elbow....does that show how much I enjoy Lobster. Wouldn't ever order them in a restaurant....too messy but at home I really dig in....nothing left but the shells.

Karen: Congrats on the big loss.

As for everyone else...your on the other page and I can't remember what you said. Glenda, Ann, Trudy, Sally, Peggy hope all is well and have a great 1st full week of Summer!

Gloria
Old 06-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #4  

Had a minute and thought I would stop by and see what is happening. Welcome home Maria. Can't wait to hear and see the pics. What is this about another grandchild?? I have to go and check this out.

Karen - happy about the loss. That is great. Maybe running from alligators helps.

Gloria sounds like you had a messy delicious Father's Day.

We watched the kid yesterday while they golfed and then we went to dil's parents for a Father's Day cookout. It was nice and fun. I was just tired from chasing P and the dogs [they seem to come as a package-lol] around

It has been hot and humid here this past week and finally had to turn on the ac. Went to a swim party Friday and it was nice to sit around and catch up with old friends. And there is no shortage of food. We should do water aerobics to work it off.

Going to go read the old thread.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:02 AM   #5  

G'day everyone,
I have been going non-stop since returning home, dh immediately started the unpacking when we got home yesterday afternoon which of course meant that I had to start putting things away!
Little Matilda called in late in the afternoon and boy has she grown up, she is just gorgeous and she did remember us!
I bought a saxaphone/flute toy that you can put together into any shape. Once she realised how she had to blow it she just loved it. I was marching playing the thing and Matilda was trying to march as well, she looked so funny, only one leg would march!!!!
I bought a beautiful pendant for d-i-l which she loved. She is coming to terms with the new pregnancy. It was just a bit of a shock as it was not planned and Matilda will still be in nappies etc. when the new baby arrives in January.
Our trip was great, we saw many things and drove many miles, 12342 km to be exact! We crossed rivers, drove on VERY rough terrain (taking 3 hours to drive 50 km) clambered around gorges and for me the best part was Kakadu and I now fully understand why Kakadu is a world heritage national park.
In time I will share some of the stunning photos we have taken.
I noticed some talk about alligators on the board, of course in the Top End of Australia it is not safe to swim in many of the waterways because of the 'estuary crocidiles' or as they are known salt water crocodiles. The freshwater crocodiles are similar to your alligator in so far that they are not as aggressive as the 'salties'. I have taken many photos of freshwater crocs but the saltwater crocs have always been taken from the safety of a boat.
Freshwater crocs have been known to attack but usually when they have been provoked, the salties do not need any provocation, they are just mean and nasty.
I am emailing a couple of photos of a very remote place we stopped, Lake Gregory. It will give you some indication of the 'luxury' we enjoyed but also the beautiful sunset at this particular campsite.
I will put some of the best photos on a website but as I have taken over 4000 photos, it will take some time to sort through them.
It is lovely to be home and it will be nice to 'see' you all again every day. Internet cafes are great but you are always pressed for time.
Hope everyone is well,
Cheers
Maria
Old 06-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #6  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I cannot wait to see your photos. We have missed you, but knew you were collecting precious memories and photos for us all. I was amazed at the shower contraption. How did you learn all this stuff? And I bet Miss Matilda has grown and changed. It doesn't take long. So she will have a sibling pretty young and that will be such fun. Right now I am sure it is a shock, but things have a way of working out for the best.

Peggy, chasing P and the dog sound like a fulltime job. Amazing how quickly those little legs, all 6 of them move.

You guys with your reptile stories! I have only seen alligators in the zoo or tv and they are so frightening!

Slavika, thanks for the research on the Arlington wreathes. That was such an interesting story!

And Karen, that Sunday thing was exactly what my mother used to say. She got along just fine everyday, but Sundays were so for people and their families that she felt very lonely then.

Did I tell you that I was in a wreck, a small one, during my colleague's husband's funeral? We were on our way to the cemetery when a car hit us from behind, a pretty good bump. I have such a fragile neck anyway that I have been in some pain since. Who would think you could get hurt in a funeral procession!

I have a cardiologist appointment this afternoon. I wish I hadn't said anything about my symptoms of not being able to breathe in the heat, but I did. I don't want to go.
Glenda
Old 06-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #7  

G'day all,

Glenda good luck at the cardiologist, it is definitly something you should follow up eventhough you don't particularly want to.
I am sure all will be well and you will be pleased that you have had it checked out.
Fancy being in a 'wreck' (we call it a car accident) on the way to a funeral. I remember you speaking of your fragile neck in the past. Hope with physio etc. it will come good again.

As far as the shower contraption, one of our friends had one and allowed us to use it and we were surprised how good it was.
We also bought a shower cubicle so that in not such private places we use that. It is like a small tent that you collapse like some sunshades you have for your car, it is a much bigger version and it can be a nightmare to get the jolly thing to collapse back into a flat pack again. If you have trouble picturing what I am talking about check this out http://www.tentworld.com.au/Category...egory=Ensuites

Most of the washing is done so this morning I will do the ironing and then I am almost back to where we left off 2 months ago.

It is lovely to be home but I must say I was sleeping better when we were away. Everynight we went to bed very early (like 7.30) and then we would read for a while but invariably we would turn the light out by 8!!!!
We would wake up around 6 am so that was a very good night sleep.
Since being home I have so much on my mind that I want to do etc. that I went to bed around 11 pm last night and I was up again at 5.30 this morning

It promises to be a lovely winters day, I am having my haircut this afternoon, long overdue.
I have a cousin and her husband from the Netherlands visiting next Monday, they will come for a roast lunch and then stay a couple of nights before flying out to Alice Springs. They have been in Australia a few weeks and are now on their way to Adelaide.
I am pleased we were home in time to catch up with them.

Off to have my breakfast and start that ironing

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #8  
Member Florida Chick

Once again - Welcome Maria. It is nice to have you back on the board. Loved that sunset. And I agree with Glenda - a little companion for Matilda as they grow together will be nice. Hard on Momma sometimes, but goodfor the kids. You had such a schedule when you were traveling, it will probably take you a while to establish your waking and sleeping hours all over again.

Glenda: Hope all goes well with your Cardiologist. It is better to be checked out, than to be sorry later if you didn't. Also sorry about your accident, and your neck. They have a neck vibrator with heat made by Homedics thatmight be useful for you. I think if you go to www.Homedics.com you will probably find it. Almost got one for DH for Fathers day, but he opted for a vibrating pad that goes in ones chair or the car. I tried it and it is very nice.

Slavika: I enjoyed all your research about Arlington. The photos were very nice, and all those wreaths made a beautiful and inspiring sight.

Karen: Congrats on the weight loss. I was up last week, and then after spending much time 'resting' got rid of the fluid and am now back to where I should be and down a little. Guess I ate something too salty. Of course I can't weigh in this week, as we are invited out for breakfast. Too bad:.

Peggy: Both dogs and grandkids are alot at once. But sounds like you had a nice weekend anyway. DH decided he wanted to go out on Sat. for dinner to avoid the crowds and then I cooked on Sunday. That worked out well.

Gloria; I love Lobster too, and when we go to Maine usually get our fill as one son is a Lobsterman up there. He keeps us supplied. But since we haven't gone in two summers, we might just have to break down and order out.

And what exciting things have you been doing Trudy? Have enjoyed your emails. Some good jokes and laughs.

Yesterday I had a new experience. A laser treatment on my eye. Everything is fine and the Dr. says the combination of the shot and then the laser may solve my problem. Sure hope so. I certainly don't want any more shots than are absolutely necessary. Now I have to go back in 6 weeks to be checked.
I have to brag a bit about my DD. She was voted Interpreter of the Year for the state of Virginia. It was all a big surprise for her, and she was presented with an ingraved plaque, and gifts and roses. She was really dumbfounded. Everyone was very good at keeping the secret, including her husband and daughter.

Guess it time to go to bed. Talk to you again soon. Ann
Old 06-21-2006, 04:45 PM   #9  
Fun Blonde

Ann, congratulations to your daughter! That is one very huge award--the whole state!

All, I did go to the cardiologist. He did an EKG and listened and said there was a small abnormality we will check out. Darn! Anyway next week I am scheduled for a stress test and an echocardiogram. Not looking forward to that, but I won't have the results appointment until July 10th. Think good thoughts for me!

Gloria, I have never eaten lobster and now that I am a vegetarian I probably never will. Last week was so sad at the office that I just ate the whole week. I am not an emotional eater or anything!

Maria, tell us when you have your pictures up on the website.
Glenda
Old 06-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #10  
Web Nana

Ann, A big congrats to your daughter....what kind of interpreter is she? For the deaf or for foreign languages? Either way to win over the whole state is big.

Glenda: Glad you are taking care of the cardio problem. A small abnormality should be a quick fix. The tests you will have are not too difficult...I've never had them but DH has had them a few time...he even had the nuclear medicine heart test on a treadmill. He can no longer do that one because of his knee but he is scheduled to have the echocardiogram in the fall again.
Good luck and the worst part is the waiting to get the results.

Maria: Loved the sunset and glad you sent the close up of the shower. I'm not sure I could have done that trip. I like my shower to have a tile surround!

Ann: what kind of laser treatment did you have. I have had Laser surgery to help the Glaucoma and also to treat a tuft that was pulling away from my retina. Both were not painful and were quite successful. Hope yours was equally successful.

Tomorrow DH is having a tooth extracted....infected roots. He has been on Amoxicillan for 7 days and then needs to take 4 Amoxicillan 1 hour before the extraction tomorrow. This is to prevent infection from reaching his Stents. He is OK with this but I am a bit nervous.

Well off to see about something to eat. Gloria
Old 06-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #11  

G'day everyone,

Ann you should be very proud of your dd, that is a great achievement. I am always in awe of interpreters, I have learnt different languages and of course speak Dutch and English fluently however when I am in English mode I find it very difficult to switch to Dutch mode and vice versa.
It will be a test next Monday when I have a cousin and her husband visiting who are here on holidays. DH doesn't understand or speak any Dutch and my cousin's English is poor. It will be an interesting day.
They are here for lunch and I have decided to make a typically Australian meal ie pumpkin soup for starters, roast lamb and roasted vegetables for mains and a bread and butter pudding for desert.
I hope they like it.

Glenda sorry to hear that there is a small abnormality with your heart, better to check it out now then when it may become a bigger problem.

Gloria good luck to your dh with his tooth extraction, not a fun way to spend a day.

I have given myself the day off and I am starting on the sorting of the photos.

Hope everyone is well,

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-22-2006, 03:28 PM   #12  
Member Florida Chick

Hi All-
Gloria: My DD is an interpreter for the Deaf. She works in public schools and also teaches classes in a Community college in American Sign language.
About the laser- it was to help with a periodic swelling I have in the back of the eye. He had given me another shot, and then after 2 wks the laser. Dr. said he has had good results this way, and it reduces the possibilty of more shots. Let's hope so.

Glenda: They found a small abnormality with my heart - a prolapsed Mitral Valve, but it doesn't hinder anything, just have to have antibiotics before any invasive procedure, even having my teeth cleaned. Hope your have a simple solution too. Those other tests are not bad, have been through them.

Maria: I think you deserve a day off to just 'chill out' as they say. Your menu sounds lovely. Who couldn't like roast lamb. One of my favorites. I too am looking forward to your pictures. I'm glad you had a great trip, but as you describe some of the rough terrain, I feel sure, that I am happy to enjoy it through your photos.

Today we drove cars to a sale again. I got one 'doozy' that was manual transmission, and the clutch was not good, so of course I stalled it, and then it wouldn't start again. - so I just left it for someone else and went to another car. : It is interesting to drive so many different makes and models. So many dealerships around here are having special sales. This makes me a little spending money.

Time to go to the pool So bye for now. Ann
Old 06-26-2006, 03:53 PM   #13  

Maria it is good to have you back. Your trip sounds like quite an experience with your trying all kinds of new things. The shower was cool. Tell Alan-nice buns!! I saw something about Alice Springs. When we go to the Outback[restaurant here] I usually get Alice Springs Chicken. Now I know that there really is an Alice Springs.

Ann I used to be able to drive a manual car. My son has a cherry red 94 Mustang convertible that is his second car. He says I can drive it but I chicken out cause I haven't driven a stick in an age. If I did something to it I would be in big trouble. I think your dd has a wonderful job. My son and dil taught P a little sign language. He keeps doing "more" and "please". I just am not sure what he wants more of sometimes.

Glenda I am glad that you were not hurt in the accident. Weird place to have one. Have you had your heart test yet?? I am glad that you are getting checked out.

Have to run,
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #14  

G'day all,

I have had some very busy days with my cousin and her dh from the Netherlands. Tomorrow we are off to Melbourne to visit our daughter for a long weekend and today I have Matilda.....phew!
I look forward to a bit of a rest.

I have read all the emails but haven't had much time to make any comments.

DH is very busy planning our American trip. He enjoys doing it and is noting down the mileage from place to place and the time it may take us.

It is unlikely that we will go to Florida, time just doesn't permit it. I hope to catch up with as many of you as we can but unfortunately this time I won't be able to catch up with Ann and Karen.

I don't want to be away for 3 months, our trip will be for 8 to 9 weeks.

I hope everyone is well and happy,

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-29-2006, 07:51 PM   #15  

It has been a busy day for me today but wanted to stop by and let you know I do live. I went to Weight watchers Tuesday night and was down again another 1 pound that puts me at 13 pounds gone and only 3 to go and I'll be back to my goal again. I think at the rate I'm going I won't have to pay anymore after next week. we'll see. I'm walking 2 miles a day and three days a week I'm doing the Leslie Sansone 2 Mile walking Tape down at the club house with some other gals. it's fun. I'm learning to run the big screen TV video equipment so that more than one of us know how .

Our weather is hot and we have moved into o the rainy season. So every day sometime during the day we get some rain. But that is a good thing. At least we are not catching it like the poor people it the north east.

Have to go just wanted to say Hi.

Karen
Closed Thread