General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #1  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Default give me advice!

I have a question for all you chickies out there. I hear so many conflicting diets: no carb, eat whole grains, apples are good/bad for you, etc.
I like to eat whole grain cereal like fiber one with unsweetened soy milk for breakfast, apple or raw veggies for snacks. I eat chicken and salads and whole grain brown rice, homemade minestrone soup (no pasta though), and tons o' water each day. I eat more than what I'm listing, but you get the idea I'm not swilling down garbage--I'm eating good stuff. I also eat a luna bar every day for a snack, usually in the morning. I'm also trying not to eat after 7:30 at night. Fitday.com says I'm getting enough calories and nutirents.
My question is, Does this sound like a healthy, weight loss diet to you guys? I'm confused because I keep hearing carbs are bad, but at the same time, I think whole grain foods can be a great part of a weight loss plan. Am I wrong? I haven't been doing this long, but I want to get your advice before I do it for months and then realize I'm not losing weight.
Should I lose weight by eating like this, and not late night snacking anymore?
By the way, I'm 200 pounds and 6 feet tall. I'm tryimg to lose 20 pounds withing one year, which I feel is pretty reasonable.
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:55 PM   #2  

Sounds like a great diet to me! And carbs are not bad!! That is just touted by the people trying to sell weight loss products/books. Any diet that advocates eliminating an entire food group is not a healthy one. Some carbs are clearly better than others, and it sounds like you are choosing healthy carbs over unhealthy ones (white bread, cakes, cookies, refined sugar, etc.). If you are meeting your nutritional requirements, all the better. Good luck and keep it up.
JanetG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:04 PM   #3  
Lurtle

Default Perfect!!!

Dear Hood:

You are doing what SHOULD be done to lose weight in a healthy way. This is the perfect diet. Forget "cutting carbs" and avoiding healthy foods! There is a need for North Americans to cut back on the amount of carbohydrates we eat, as well as change the types of carbs, but we need them for energy. The road you are walking is a healthy one, good luck on your loss and keep up the great work!

Loretta

Eldubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sounds quite healthy to me. Lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains. No junk. Have you read the goal thread by Glory87? She eats "super foods," most of what you have listed are the super foods. You should look at her story--very inspirational and informative. Here is the link: http://http://www.3fatchicks.com/for...ad.php?t=84601 Also, hang out with the calorie counters. We tend to eat a lot of very healthy items like you have described.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #5  
Tired of lettuce!

Height: 6 flippin' feet tall!

Thanks guys! I think cutting out the late night snacking alone will make a big dent...
hoodj0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:40 PM   #6  
Lurtle

Does anyone know how I keep that "Oops, this image has expired" message from coming up? I've changed my avatar and I put in a new tracker...hmmmm? Thanks
Eldubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/154/140

Height: 5'7

I've been wondering the same things Hood! I can't count calories...I just can't make myself run to the computer everytime I eat something, and if I don't do it like that, I'll forget to log it.

I have opted for wheat bread over white, 2% milk instead of whole, fat free cheese, lower sugar (or artificial), better carbs...everything you stated!

I'm not losing at a super fast pace, haven't even hit the 10lb mark and I've been at this for almost 2 months now, but I'm trying not to let it get to me. I feel so much better now, and I'm able to exercise for longer periods and enjoy it.

I've also noticed, on the few occasions that I've let myself go with the eating that I felt worse the day after eating junk! I slipped up this last weekend and had a whopper with cheese meal (there, it's out, I admitted it to someone...lol) with a REGULAR coke and that night and the next day I felt like total crap!!!

Heck, even if I don't get the weight off, if I keep feeling better I'll be happy! Besides, while the pounds aren't coming off, the inches sure are!

Keep up your good eating! Slow and steady wins the race. You're building great habits for later on!!!

Kim
OneKim is offline   Reply With Quote