Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-18-2006, 04:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 140

Height: 5'2

Default Alcohol..

Hey I have a LITTLE problem! I enjoy a drink at weekends with friends and this summer I'd headed away with two of my friends for an entire MONTH! most of which will be spent either laying doing nothing or partying at night. Last year I gained almost TWO STONE and I think most of that was down to alcohol consumption. I've recently just abandoned alcopops, I wouldn't touch the %&"$%^ with a barge pole. but what alcohol can i drink? Is there any low calorie stuff out there? Or even just NOT AS BAD drinks?
Is anyone else having this problem?
I definately don't want to be a party pooper this summer...
mtyler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:42 AM   #2  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Well, every so often I'll go through a phase where I'll drink beer. Even though the daily caloried added up to 600-1000 per day of beer and I kept the food down low I still gained like 3-4 pounds a week, even with exercise. As soon as I axed drinking as a test, I lost 3 pounds in less than a week. I wonder if some people are sensitve to weight gain with alcohol? I'll be interested to see if anyone knows too.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140

Height: 5'2

thanks for your input! Alcohol is incredibly annoying isn't it? My dad owns a bar so I just asked him and he reckons it would be vodka and diet coke?? I think he may be right because that's what I was having two nights ago and I don't seem to gained anything?? Does anyone know if that's right? Or am I just getting myself into a state of false security...

ps bought the funkiest homer simpson scales! they "DOH!" and everything... beaut!
mtyler17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:08 AM   #4  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Personally, whenever I drink on a weekend, I will gain 3-4 pounds and it will take me at least a week to get them off (that week being very diligent and having no alcohol). Summer is really hard. You either have to agree with yourself that you are not going to drink at all, or come to grips with the fact that you are going to gain weight. I do not believe it is water weight (or at least not all of it) because it takes me so long to get the weight back off. Alcohol is very high in calories and when you drink a substantial amount, well, those calories really add up. Besides that, when you're body is trying to burn fat and you have alcohol in your system, the alcohol is the first thing it is going to burn, not the fat...hence weight gain.

Now, obviously, you are going on vacation and you are going to drink....so what to choose to drink? I would say, anything with diet coke. At least then you are not getting the calories from the pop (soda). Here is a sampling of calorie content of different liquors:

(Per 1 Oz--a shot is 1.5 ounces)

Beer 96 (1-12 OZ BOTTLE) Miller Lite
Vodka 64
Rum 64
Whiskey 64
Wine 119 (Sutter Home Merlot) 5 oz glass
Wine 108 (Sutter Home White Zin) 5 oz glass

Sometimes, what I do is order a drink with diet coke and then also order a can of diet coke with it. As you drink down the drink, add more diet coke. That way you are not drinking as many calories, but you are still drinking and being social and besides that you don't get as inebriated.

I wish you luck and best of all, have fun!!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:15 AM   #5  

Alcohol is evil, full of calories!!! White spirit such as vodka or gin and diet mixers is your best bet, or wine and soda mixed together, or the odd half sugar Bacardi Breezer.

You won't lose weight over your holidays, but you mgiht be able to avoid a gain.

And don't forget to eat. If you eat before going out on the lash, you are less likely to eat crisps and nuts whilst you drink, which doesn't help the calorie count!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I am no expert but my BF and I have been debating about the calorie value of alcohol (he is a chemist). Anyway, besides the actual caloric value of alcohol, from what I ended up reading there are several other factors that make alchohol dangerous for dieting. First, when you drink you have less inhibitions and therefore are more likely to overeat. Second has to do with the way the body processes both alcohol and fat - they are both metabolized by the liver. If your body is busy metabolizing alcohol it can't metabolize the fat in what you eat and has to store it for later. Third, many people find they have increased cravings for either fatty or sugary foods the next day.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:27 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

Okay I know this sounds like a party pooper but why not learn to drink just plain seltzer with lemon or lime? That's what I always do. I know easy to say since I hate the taste of alcohol... but it's calorie free and you can still hang out with your friends. Reality is if you drink booze you are going to load up on meaningless calories
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I agree with Misti, just seems kind of weird that you MUST drink so as not to be a "party pooper." Getting loaded is the only way to have fun with your friends? When I was losing weight, I just didn't drink, period. I avoided all unnecessary, empty calories.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I do the soda with lime and everyone thinks I drink gin and tonic. I have fun and have even had people ask if I need a drive home.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:29 PM   #10  

I have been told by several people that the best choice is Vodka and Diet Coke (and thats what i drink). I find that it doesnt really affect my weightloss, mind you im not a big drinker but when I do thats what I drink. I use to drink those coolers before my weightloss, they are so sweet now, i cant stand the taste of them now and they are FULL of calories.
almost there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #11  

Height: 5'9

Alcohol hasn't affected my weight thus far. That was one thing that I just never cut out of my diet. I go through phases with different drinks.
For a while it was rum and diet coke, then wine, then tequila, now Miller Light.
I don't let the fat girl in me pig out anymore or eat junk. I'm at least going to let the Irish Mick in my get drunk! LOL
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #12  
hara hachi bu

I always alternate my drinks, drink, water, drink, water. Sometimes 2 waters for every drink. I load up on water before I go out, and I load up on water the next day. That tends to help.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #13  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I quite like vodka and flavoured water - it helps me make sure I get some water in along with my alcohol!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 259/140/140

Height: 5'6"

You don't have to drink to have fun. If peer pressure is causing you to drink, take a can of beer and drink it, just the one, then keep filling it with water and no one will ever know you are not drinking.
(I was going to say pour the beer out, but I am not one for wasting)
Terrie
gettingsmaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetarysiren25
Alcohol hasn't affected my weight thus far. That was one thing that I just never cut out of my diet.
Me either. I like to drink and I'm not giving it up.

I've managed to lose over 80 pounds and I've drank all the way through it, so...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a lushy that sits around boozing it up every night (lol) but I love going out on the weekends with my friend to the bar and even during the week we'll sometimes sit around and have a few.

Would I give up alcohol if it meant for certain I'd have to be fat the rest of my life? Most certainly. But I didn't have to.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote