South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:55 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Podcasts anyone?

I recently got a used ipod and started listening to podcasts. At first they helped me pass the time while walking the dog or exercising at home. Then I started exploring the itunes diet/fitness area and found some that directly help with my motivation, commitment etc.

Not sure if I am allowed to say specifically which ones have helped. In any case, checking on itunes (or ipodder/equiv. for other mp3 players) under health/fitness/diet might be useful. Admittedly there is a lot of garbage being podded, but there is some good stuff as well.

Has anyone else tapped into this source?
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 AM   #2  
WW Moderator

No, but I'd like to. I'm so behind the times with podcasts that I feel like Granny Clampett screaming into the ringing telephone. We're on a podcast with WBIR and I haven't figured out what to do with it! Go ahead and post some links. Most should be fine. If they're bad, linkosuction will remove them.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #3  

Jennifer, maybe you can ask WBIR for their podcast link and post it here? I'd love to add it to my 'playlist'.

My most recent discovery has been a podcast called "Reasonable Diet's 6 Minutes of Sanity". It's on iTunes (free) or you can get it from the web site http://reasonablediet.com/listenup.htm . There is a 'learning' link for first-time downloaders. This podcast is aimed at people who 'know what to do but just don't do it.' Me to a T!

Another one is music. There is a dj at the beginning of the piece and each compilation of music is listed with its beats-per-minute rating so you will be able to choose something for a walking pace, a running pace, or some other exercise. This one is on iTunes (again, free, as are all the podcasts I've found so far) called fitpod, or from the web site fitpod.com.

Usually if something is available on itunes it is also available in other formats from the originating web site. itunes has links to the originating web site, so if you want to use it as a starting point, it's useful.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #4  

Default OK, just one more

Here's another podcast. It's a real variety. Sometimes it's exercise music, other times information on an exercise trend or health issue, other times an interview with a trainer.

If you have done any DDR, you'll be used to moving to the kind of techno sound in many of the songs. There are many general rock sounds too though.

http://abetterday.podomatic.com/
Old 06-15-2006, 09:36 AM   #5  
WW Moderator

I'll look in to these more when I get home tonight. They sound interesting! I was just looking for our podcast and I don't see it. It should be at www.wbir.com - if they archive. I'll look more tonight!
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 10:26 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I haven't a clue what you are talking about. Are podcasts good steamed and then served with a bit of olive oil and garlic? I am so last century!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #7  

Mmmm, anything with olive oil and garlic!

Podcasts are like radio shows that you download onto a player (ipod or other mp3 player) and then play them back when you want. Kind of like a talking book version of a magazine.

One great place to find general interest podcasts, and lots of them, is www.slate.com . So many interesting topics. Makes that treadmill time pass in a flash.

If you don't have a player, you can usually play them back right on your computer.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #8  
Will power is the key!

how do you get there podcasts on your ipod? I have one but can't figure it out. I see it in my music store section of ITUNES.
losefatfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #9  

When you are in the Music Store at itunes, click on Podcasts to get your choices.

When you find one you like, click on it and a page will open with a description at the top, a link to the originating web page, and a list of the episodes available.

At the far right of each episode line (might have to scroll over to it) is a button to click that says "Get Episode" or just "Get". Click it once.

The episode will download onto your computer in your itunes podcast library. When you plug in your ipod it should automatically update and put the new podcast onto your ipod.

PM me if you have problems and I'll try to help.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:46 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Heidi, thanks for dragging me (kicking and screaming...) into the 21st century. I've got an iPod but am so underutilizing it!

Once you're done listening to a podcast, how do you delete it from your iPod? And how much room do these things take up? I've only got about 200 songs on my iPod, but it's half full already...

Thanks again!

Jennifer...'linkosuction'? That's awesome!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #11  

Ha! My kids dragged me to get me this far, so I'm after revenge !

In itunes you can set up your preferences so that after you listen to a podcast it will be removed from your ipod at the next update. The podcasts are kept in your itunes/computer library until you delete them, but they will be removed from your ipod once they've been heard.

My ipod is a 4gb version and it holds quite a lot. I think about 200 songs and a ton of podcasts. I have removed most of the music from it at this point. I find it overwhelming to have everything on it. I have my current podcasts and a couple of current favourite songs - the rest stays on my computer.

My husband uses a regular mp3 player and organizes using a free program called "ipodder".