Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #1  

Default Chinese take out. Never again.

I was on another thread yesterday blah-blah'ing about how last night was our cheat night & we were having take-out Chinese, but I was going to eat within reason and all that.

So, REALLY, I DID eat within reason., I thought. A small bowl of wonton soup, I didn't even eat the wontons,...about 4 pieces of General Tso's or whatever that chicken is (BITE-size pieces) ...1/4 cup steamed white rice..and some chow mein, no noodles.

So, I think I did pretty good really, keeping my calories yesterday at about 1300. (I THINK--it is hard to tell with take-out).

So, I get on the scale this morning and I WAS UP THREE LBS!!!! I frantically took off my robe, pulled the clip outa my hair, bit my fingernails, took off my rings, moved the scale, -- (anything to reduce the poundage)...and Yup, I was up three pounds. I freaked. I have had fluctuations like a pound or a pound and a half, but 3 lbs.?? COME ON!~ I haven't even changed my tracker back up yet, because I am in serious denial.

Is this food like poison to my system or what???? Seriously, is it the MSG or what else is in Chinese food???
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

It's all the MSG and sodium... you're probably just retaining water. SLAM water today and maybe go for a jog to sweat some of it out and you'll level out again . Don't panic!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #3  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I agree. Whenever I eat something a bit "beyond the pale", I don't count my weight as accurate for at least 2 days. That's how long it takes me to get over the effects of the extra sodium, bulk etc. Just remind yourself that there is no way you ate 10,500 cals yesterday. I think you did a very good job in moderation- I'm sure you'll be back in the swing in a day or 2.

Try not to let it spoil your enjoyment of the meal- after all it's not weight that we are trying to lose, but fat. Any extra weight right now isn't going to be fat, I promise!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I went through this same thing awhile back. Except I went hog wild at a chinese buffet..stepped on the scale the next morning and was up four pounds! No freakin' way was that a real "gain"...but I was retaining water like mad. It'll go away, don't panic!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'd like to reiterate that this is just water weight, not fat gain. Chinese is full of sodium, including that in MSG and the salt they add - drink some extra water to help flush the sodium out and you'll be back to normal in no time.

If I have a weight change like that, I don't put it on my ticker. I always wait a few days to get all of that excess sodium out - otherwise I'd get depressed.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #6  

So far, this is all very encouraging..thank you. 'Cause that Chinese food was good, but NOT 3 lbs. good, for real!

I'm gonna be a nervous wreck when I step on that scale tomorrow at 6:00 a.m.

Mandalinn82, thank you for not moving your ticker either. I feel almost as bad about not moving the ticker as I do about the 3 lbs.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Don't worry about not moving your ticker!! I only move mine once a week because if I moved it up and down all week long I'd lose my mind!!! Don't worry, it'll go away!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #8  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbugs
Is this food like poison to my system or what???? Seriously, is it the MSG or what else is in Chinese food???
Nah, it's just the sodium. You're retaining water, that's all. You did NOT gain three pounds of fat from one meal. Not unless you ate 10,500 calories.

Like others have suggested, drink lots of water to flush out the excess sodium and then take heed to the moral of this story.....

Never get on the scale the morning after eating Chinese food, lol.

And don't move your tracker. Again, it's just water weight, not fat weight.

We went to a Thai place for lunch today. I had the Pina Colada Shrimp. It was very delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I won't get on the scale tomorrow, lol. I only weigh myself about once or twice a month now, anyway.

Last edited by LLV; 06-15-2006 at 06:08 PM.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:01 PM   #9  

Okay...I won't move the ticker. LOL. I usually move it everyday. The monitors of this website are probably sick of my ticker obsession anyway. LOL
Old 06-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #10  

.....plus I have never understood this: Retain water, so DRINK more water? Won't all that sodium just soak up all the water I am drinking? And then tomorrow I might have FIVE more lbs. of water weight? I would lose my mind, I swear.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #11  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Well the extra water will help to flush all the sodium out, helping you to lose the water wait.
I Know, to me that sounds kinda backwards, but it really works.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:21 PM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbugs
.....plus I have never understood this: Retain water, so DRINK more water? Won't all that sodium just soak up all the water I am drinking? And then tomorrow I might have FIVE more lbs. of water weight? I would lose my mind, I swear.
No no no, lol.

The water you drink will help to flush out the excess sodium. The excess sodium is what causes you to retain water. I know it sounds crazy, but the more water you drink, the less your body holds onto. When you don't drink enough water, your body holds onto what it has for proper hydration. When you drinks lots of water, the excess (what your body is holding onto) is let go.

The following is taken from an article on preventing water retention...

Drinking an adequate amount of water every day is the best treatment for fluid retention. But when your body is given less water than it needs... it perceives the shortage as a threat to survival and will begin to retain every drop. Water reserves are stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This water can show up as swollen feet, hands and legs.

Diuretics only offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.

The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs — plenty of water — only then will stored water be released.

Keep in mind that the body can retain as much as 3-6 pounds of water alone. And yes, that will show up on the scale.

Anytime you eat a meal that's high in sodium, drink plenty of water during the meal and the rest of the day after.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:07 PM   #13  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

I hate to discourage you, and I hope you are different than me. But when I am up with water retention, it can take me a week or more to get rid of it. It really annoys me. I told my husband, I guess I just need to live in a cave, never eat out and never drink alcohol, that's another one that does me in! I wish you luck with getting rid of the water weight. I am still working on my 3# from last weekend!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #14  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

My body does NOT like salt! I actually look at the salt content of foods now before I look at anything else. We don't have salt in the house for cooking and I don't miss it at all now.

I know you will see that weight go down again soon, but I understand how frustrating it can be when you believe you have been SO good, but the scales tell you otherwise. It is no longer the scales that drive me crazy, but SALT!!!! It is EVIL!

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:26 AM   #15  

Well today is another day. Got on the scale again this morning and i can't believe it--the three lbs were gone!
I was amazed.

Following everyone's advice, I drank so much water yesterday evening I was up all night. LOL. So between the water and the exercise I got running to the bathroom all night....I guess it WAS the MSG & Sodium. Still, tho, I'm DONE with Chinese food.

THANK you all, once again!!