Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/262.2/190

Height: 5'10"

Default Pedometers?

I just bought a pedometer, and am hoping that it'll help me get some "extra steps" in if I set some realistic goals for myself. The only problem is, I really don't know what a realistic goal is! I am a full time student and have 2 part time jobs. I walk anywhere between 4,000 and 10,000 steps per day depending on where I am and what I'm doing. One of my jobs is purely an on-my-feet, walking job and so I log a lot of steps on the days I work there!

I know it's not the best exercise in the world, but it's what I have time for right now. Any ideas for me to get some use out of this thing?
gray eyed girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:19 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

The average adult gets around 3000 steps in their normal day. So obviously, you should aim for more than that. I would recommend that you try to increase it by 500 steps every couple of days. So maybe start at 5,000. If it's too easy to meet that goal start higher. Since I basically have a desk job, I have to make a real effort to get 10,000 steps in on a work day, but I try to do that on days I don't do other exercising.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #3  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

I think pedometers are ok...but they also count every move. Some of them make it look like you are actually walking more then you really are. I had one and I counted my steps from the store and back and there was a big difference in what the pedometer said and what I actually counted. I guess I either got a cheap one or mine just didnt work.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:23 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8.5"

I love my pedometer... but I too had problems with getting them to work right until I bought the Omron HJ-112. Wow I love the thing!!

One good way to use the ped -- if you have one such as this which also counts aerobic steps -- is to keep track of those too. For example today I had 14,055 total steps (I get a lot of steps at work) BUT 7,187 of them were aerobic, for a total of 63 minutes... or averaging 114 steps per minute (anything 60 or over for at least 10 minutes is aerobic). It is fun to challenge myself and try to break my records, etc.

Walking is GREAT exercise... sure it is good if we can do other stuff too but hey if not just do what you CAN do and don't "fret" about what you can't. Until recently walking was pretty much all I was doing except using some workout balls at home, etc. I too was just doing what I could and I was so fat and out of shape it was very hard to exercise. Now I have been adding in water aerobics. But my point is don't become discouraged over what you can't do... you are obviously very busy... just do that walking!!

Congratulations on your desire to succeed!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote