Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM   #1  

Default How long?

I was just wondering if those out there who had lost a lot of weight could tell me when I should expect to feel better physically. I’m sure most of you remember that constant state of “I’m-so-tired-I-can’t-even-breathe” feeling that is a norm when you carry around a lot of extra pounds.
I have been on my new plan since about June 1st (minus a couple of small slip ups). I know it’s not much, but I was hoping that I could start looking forward to some more energy and an overall feeling of getting better sometime soon.
I have lost about 6-7 pounds since June 1st (some of it is probably water), I am exercising 30-35 minutes about 5 times a week. I eat pretty clean and try to keep my calories low. I am still working on tracking actual numbers, but it’s probably between 1200 – 1800 calories per day.
About when did you start feeling better physically? How long did it take? After how many pounds lost?
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 216/194/120

Height: 5"6'

I think is just depends on the person, everyone is different. I think it is great that you are well on your way to weightloss. It is hard to not get down about the weight not coming off, at least that is the way I get down. I think it should come off like a pair of pants. Keep up the great work.....
daj3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:11 PM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

There is no point where I started "feeling better". It was instead a gradual process. You just start feeling less and less tired as time goes on. But so gradual to the point that you really won't notice a time. One thing you should feel immediately however. After exercise, you should notice a spike in your energy levels. So hang onto that feeling as motivation to continue. And think about how much better it will be when you're feeling that kind of energy more often than not.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:33 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have been at my new lifestyle for 11 months. I have gradually started to feel better. Not necessarily more energetic. But, I am able to get around better. Walking in the mall or grocery store isn't so tiring. Before, I was always looking for a bench to sit down. My blood sugar is stable now and I no longer feel like passing out all the time. My blood pressure and heart rate are now normal and I don't get red in the face or short of breath. These are all indicators that my health is improved. I still sleep more than anyone I know, sometimes 12 or more hours daily but this is due to other illness that I have. Good luck to you and know that you will start to feel an improvement in your health.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I think I really began to feel better after 50 pounds, and then I felt great after 75 pounds, and awesome at 100 pounds. I remember in the beginning feeling myself getting stronger and healthier (like I could walk up the stairs without gasping for air) and it was only a couple of months after consistently exercising that I could feel a marked improvement in my physical health. I love being smaller, but I also love the feeling of strength I have in my entire body.

Oh, and btw, I only exercised 15 minutes a day when I first started, so you are off to a better start than I was.

I wish you much strength and luck as you continue your journey
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I can't say honestly but I do remember that the first thing I noticed was that if I walked one day, I slept much better that night.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #7  
Play that funky music!

S/C/G: 290ish/266/250

Height: 5'4"

I think I remember posting at one point about how much better I felt after just 10 or 15 pounds, at least as far as getting rid of that exhausted feeling, and not being able to breathe well.

Looking back, though, I think a lot of that has to do with exercise. I have only lost about 20 pounds now (I haven't plateaued, I've been very, very bad) and I don't feel as well now as I did then because I am not exercising as I should. So, I see that you are doing well on the exercise and I heartily recommend sticking with that...

-Lala
dalai_lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 AM   #8  
Thin taste better

S/C/G: 230/215/170

Height: 5ft

I feel it will be different for everyone. I think for me I started to feel better after I lost about 20lbs. I noticed when I bent over to tie my shoes I did't get dizzy and it wasnt a struggle like before.
sweettay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

the difference between how I felt when I started and now is huge. I don't even think about how far I might have to walk (I used to think about places I could rest on the way). I don't think about stairs. It's like a type of physical freedom being in much better shape.

I'd have to contribute a lot of it to the exercise as well. I started going to the gym about a year ago and it's made a big impact on my strength, balance, endurance.

Ditto for me re: starting off slow with the exercise, I didn't do nearly as much as you are now. Hang in there, you'll be glad you did, I guarantee you.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #10  

Thanks for all the feedback. I expected it would be different for everybody, but it helps to know that at least the “feeling better” feeling is on its way. I know I’m doing good at the moment, I just needed to hear that I will also start feeling good physically if I keep it up.
You are right, I do feel much more energized right after I exercise, but it doesn’t last long. And I should clarify that I exercise on an elliptical machine, so it’s easier on my joints, which is why I can handle 30-35 minutes at my size. I usually go 2 days of exercise – 1 day off and so on. It seems to work better for me than exercising every day, just because I feel like I’m getting a break and I do cut down my calories on my days off. Plus, the machine is in my house in front of my TV, so it's harder to find excuses not to exercise.
Thanks again for the motivation, it’s exactly what I needed.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:43 PM   #11  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

good work on the elliptical! I'm at 15 minutes, heh heh. I do the treadmill and recumbant bike too.

I think the elliptical is a real workout (at least it is for me!). You'll see after you do it for about 3 or 4 weeks, maybe a little longer, that you won't be so wiped out by it. Whenever I up the intensity of my routine, it takes about a month to two before my body and stamina adjusts.

I go to the gym 3 times a week, skipping every other day.

I don't think it's unusual at all for you to feel tired doing that workout on the elliptical.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #12  

It isn't really that I feel more tired when I work out, as opposed to the days I skip. It's more that I've been feeling tired all the time. And I know it's too soon for me to expect a change in that department, but I also know that at some point it will start changing. And I do look forward to the change very much.
It's almost like one of the biggest things I look forward to when I lose weight is to feel like the strong and fit woman in my early thirties that I should be. I want to feel healthy and capable instead of that constantly tired lethargic thing that I had become. You know what I mean?
I do care about all the cute clothes I'll be able to buy and how much better I will look, but that's not what's pushing me to get on to that machine and stay on it for 30-35 minutes. It's the feeling of strength inside of me that I really want so badly it makes me want to scream.
I hope that doesn't sound crazy
Old 06-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 117/110/70

I think i felt a difference almost straight away, if thats possible, i began eating smaller portions, and walking around 5 - 6 km everyday, sometimes more. It more so started off as a mental change, i felt more better about myself because i had taken the time to start looking after me. Then not long after, i found i had more energy to do the everyday stuff i would normally do, and i started finding it easier to walk without my normal huffing and puffing. But like alot have said already, it varies between different people. Good luck

Monique
x0_MoNiQuE_0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Nina -- I know exactly what you mean. And first, way to go on the exercise! Don't downplay those 30 minutes on the elliptical. That machine kicks the butts of lots of people and it is a real feat to be on that long!!!!! You sound like you're being very sensible about it and a good attitude!

As for your question, I think one thing I noticed early on was that I was less exhausted in the late afternoon -- I used to fall asleep nearly every day after work and after a whiel (I don't remember when) I noticed that I didn't usually feel that way. It seems to be linked to my eating -- I eat healthy snacks now and I think that keeps my energy levels up more than the stupid fritos ever did (yay for nutrition -- protein and fiber rock!)

Other than noticing that quick effect, my energy level increase has been gradual. Though I didn't start off exercising as much as you are.

I did find all sorts of other things to pay attention to, like when my right knee stopped hurting going up the stairs or when I could more gracefully stand from a sunken chair.

The benefits are coming! Tons of them!!! Just keep going and post when they happen!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #15  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaV
It's almost like one of the biggest things I look forward to when I lose weight is to feel like the strong and fit woman in my early thirties that I should be. I want to feel healthy and capable instead of that constantly tired lethargic thing that I had become. You know what I mean?
I know that feeling. I felt that way in my 20's, in my 30's. Now, into my 40's, I feel better than I did at 20. I don't come home and plop down like I used to. I don't sit and channel surf out of boredom. I get bored if I have to sit somewhere at all. I'd rather be moving, doing something. I used to dread shopping because it sapped what little energy I had...even in my 20's! Now I love shopping. It doesn't tire me out at all and I enjoy it much more.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote