Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/155/135

Default sushi?

I lovvvve sushi. I get the veggie kind for lunch all the time.

But with all this "good carb" "bad carb" stuff going on, I was wondering if I should start avoiding it since it's made w/ white rice. I read all the time to replace white rice w/ brown rice and white bread w/ whole wheat etc.
It's low-calorie and I know everything is ok in moderation....but if I'm seriously trying to drop some pounds this summer, should I lay off the sushi?
ellakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #2  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

My dietitian friend told me to have sushi, so I'm assuming it is fine. She even said that 4 to 6 pieces would be OK. She makes me some with tuna, which is also delicious. I have only tried her tuna and the shop-bought veggie kind.

I think that you will be fine to keep having sushi.

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #3  

You are fine eating sushi. I would eat it with low-sodium soy sauce if you can. Also, i dont think the small amount of rice used is anything to worry about but if you want to try it, eat sashimi instead and take the rice that is under it out (some places dont put rice under sashimi). Eat that and see if that cuts some pounds. If you arent a sashimi fan i wouldnt worry, sushi isnt bad for you. ENJOY
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:14 PM   #4  
108,500 Calories to Burn.

S/C/G: 160/154/129

Don't lay off the sushi! I consider it to be my favorite "diet food". Just make sure you order only the "pure" stuff. Nothing that comes drizzled with the mayo sauces, stuffed with tempura shrimp, coated in tempura flakes, added cream cheese, etc. And ensure that the "crab" they put in the rolls isn't "crab salad", which contains mayo. Personally, I love raw, raw, raw, so sashimi is great (plain fish, no rice). Nigiri is a slice of raw fish on top of a tiny ball of rice.

Also, fill up a bit beforehand by ordering an appetizer of Miso Soup or Sunomono...a light cucumber salad made with vinegar. So tasty!
netflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by netflower
Don't lay off the sushi! I consider it to be my favorite "diet food". Just make sure you order only the "pure" stuff. Nothing that comes drizzled with the mayo sauces, stuffed with tempura shrimp, coated in tempura flakes, added cream cheese, etc. And ensure that the "crab" they put in the rolls isn't "crab salad", which contains mayo.
But it is the best if it comes drizzled with the mayo sauces, stuffed with tempura shrimp, coated in tempura flakes, added cream cheese, etc. I eat it like that and I don't think twice. However, I do not have any soya sauce. I can't deny myself of everything I like, haha.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I love sushi, but hubby won't even eat the cooked stuff. However, I did order a sushi roll he liked a few months ago (VERY BAD, though). It was called a crunch roll, and had steamed or boiled shrimp, wrapped in rice and sea weed paper, and then dipped in tempura batter and fried. The rice got all creamy almost like risotto. Mmmm, yummy. Definitely not low-cal though.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #7  

you can modify it just like any other food. no tempura flakes, no mayo based, light soy, brown rice, etc...

personally, i walk to and from the sushi place, i consider it a better alternative than most places (pizza, chinese, etc...), so i eat it with white rice, the occasional mayo based sushi, and occasional tempura flakes (not tempura). i eat what i like in moderation, plus, i get exercise to and from the restaurant.
chicagoposter is offline   Reply With Quote