Old 06-10-2006, 10:21 AM   #1  

Default Dried Beans ???

As pitiful as this sounds, I have no idea what to do with a bag of dried beans. I see them in the grocery store and they are so cheap! We eat fresh lima beans and such as that from the garden, red beans and rice, occassionally chili, and that is about it. I have never used dried beans for any of that. I am sorry to sound so ignorant, but how do you use them? What are some good non-mushy bean recipes? Thanks
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I soak my beans overnight,then I boil them til they are soft.I use them in chili or baked beans.I am sure there are lots of ways to use them but I just use them in the 2 dishes.
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Crockpot/slowcooker. I don't know how long it takes. I just package them up when they're ready.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:09 PM   #4  

I've got a great recipe with black beans but you have to cook the dried beans first.
I get a canned black bean that is really good and cheap from Ralphs "Buena Comida" brand.
Here's the recipe, quantities of each to your taste:
Black beans (Buena Comida)
Shelled Edamame (cheap at Trader Joes (frozen), boil them for 5 minutes)
Cilantro (chopped-Trader Joes sells this)
Yogurt (lowfat or non fat PLAIN --whichever you prefer, non-fat is more sour but I don't mind that at all in this recipe)
Cherry tomatoes (halfed)
Avocado (chopped)
Mix all together ingredients.
Use as snack or as a meal. I like to make in a large batch and graze on it for a few days.
I have had this without cilantro and edamame and it was still delicious.
Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #5  

Soak them overnight, change the water then I put mine in a crock pot, covered a couple inces in water, on high for about 6 hours. I love making bean burgers, any kind will do, but our favorite is with great northern beans.
All these amouts are estimates, I just look at the texture....
4 cups mashed beans
1 egg
1/4 cup salsa
spices
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup bread crumbs
your texture should mold into patties easily when all mashed together, adjust if not. Non-stick pan till browned on both sides. so yummy with cucumber salad on top.
amyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #6  
it's always something

I've been told that you should pour off the soaking water and replace with fresh water before you boil them. This reduces the side effects

I haven't used dried beans in many years, but have considered it lately because I think there's more variety.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #7  

soak them overnight in warm water... pressure cook them for 10-15 minutes with/without veggies... add salt/pepper/cayyenne pepper/lemon juice/chopped tomatoes/green chillis and serve hot with/without rice.

They taste really good! they are filling and high protein...some have low carb and low fat. its usually used in indian meals (a pressure cooker is used to cook them fast which you may get at an indian store)
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote