Old 05-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #1  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Default May/ June Chat

I've started this thread as a place where we can discuss our journey, goals, successes, and share our thoughts.. Just a place to chat about this and that.

Lately I've found myself facing lots and lots of buffets.. it is that time of year when student's are graduating, people are getting married, celebrating birthday's and the school year is ending.

I'm doing ok with them. Actually a lot better than I expected. During a short weak moment when I wanted to load my plate with something today I even thought of our quote "Eat less, taste more." I felt great hearing that in my head.

Buffets they aren't afterall.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:37 AM   #2  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Good for you Jayde, catching yourself *before* you load up that plate! Too often I catch myself when I realize I'm just stuffing the food in and not even tasting it. Or worse yet *disliking it* and still eating it!

I'm really happy today because I had been retaining water and I was up three pounds but I'm back down today and maybe even down a pound. I have a policy though that a weight has to stick through a couple weigh ins before I change my ticker.

Its raining here today and I'm happy because I love the rain but I was also hoping to do some more gardening today. I guess it will keep for another day and save me some watering.

I'm hoping to go grocery shopping this weekend or on monday and I'm really looking forward to that. I love to see how much good food I can get and how much of the junk I can avoid. I also want to hit the Asian supermarket and see if I can find what I need to make some recipes from my Okinawa Plan book. I think its time to start trying new stuff again.

Great idea for a thread, Jayde!

Casey
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Goils,

Buffets are evil, evil, evil, evil .... I always say I'm gonna load up on veggies first and then go back for what ever........ 100% of the time I fail at my plan soooo I try to avoid them.

Have a great day
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #4  
The Beauty of Balance

Leenie, not only are buffets but some people who frequent them are too. Earlier this week I was at a Japanese sushi buffet with several friends. One friend in particular took it upon herself to constantly come back to the table with plates for the entire party to share. It wouldn't have been a big deal say if it had been a plate of fruit at the end of our meal and she wanted to serve everyone else.. but it was constant plate after plate after plate. We should have stopped her.. or someone should have shook her. As it was some of us found ourselves eating what she brought because we didn't want to waste it, so we didn't get a chance to sample things we wanted from the buffet... every time the waitress came by I cringed thinking that we'd leave plates of untouched food.. This is definately a buffet phenomenon. If it were an entre we could have boxed it or just left it just as we do at home. Man I still want to slap this friend. Hold me back someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHippo
I'm really happy today because I had been retaining water and I was up three pounds but I'm back down today and maybe even down a pound. I have a policy though that a weight has to stick through a couple weigh ins before I change my ticker.
Ah, is this how you do your ticker? Smart strategy! I change my current weight on my profile the first time I see a low weight.. but I keep the high end of the range until I haven't seen it in about a week.

What kind of stuff are you looking for at the Asian market? Anything in particular you want to make?

I keep telling myself I want to make some Indian dishes (authentic dishes... not the premade curry cubes I buy ) but I still haven't gotten around to it. The closest I've come to trying something new was way way back I started making some Thai food. Then I went back to my same old same old menu. Stuff I could make with my eyes closed.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #5  
Eat less, taste more

I third the idea of buffets being evil! And the price is part of that...you think oh what a great deal! But then walk away without any leftovers! I guess I'm supposed to see that as a good thing since I'm trying to lose weight

Y'know Jayde with what you were saying about being afraid to waste food...that is so ME! Or rather...used to be me. I've had a little chat with myself and come to the conclusion that if the food that would have been *wasted* is being carried around on my backside it still IS being wasted. And at least if I had thrown it in the trash or composted it or let the dogs or cats have it then no one would know...but they can sure see it on my butt!

I would be so mad too that someone else was getting food for me! It kind of has me steamed just thinking about it. Next time you are out with this person and they try helpfully getting plates for everyone on the FIRST plate say "No Thanks...I'm getting my own stuff"....then she can be stuck to deal with her loaded up plate because I bet everyone else you are with will follow suit. No one wants to have their food picked out for them! Not even my 2 year old so certainly not grown ups!

Has anyone done anything fun this weekend? We had planned to go to an Odd and Unusual Auction but my youngest son decided not to sleep and it was raining so in the end we have done nothing...

Casey
Old 05-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #6  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
I've had a little chat with myself and come to the conclusion that if the food that would have been *wasted* is being carried around on my backside it still IS being wasted.
Quite a bit of the weight I gained as an adult is from eating food my children didn't finish. It was a habit I guess I had as a kid.. after dinner I'd eat leftovers rather than try to find the right container to put it in. I could kick myself now.

At the buffet, I should have told that friend something after the first plate. She is overweight.. not obese but a few more pounds and I think she would qualify. Anyway, I've been thinking about her after reading your post today. She is very quick to bring baked goods over to the house insisting that everyone have some. She's made a few remarks about my kids not eating enough and made a comment to me the other day that she thought I was overdoing it with the exercise. Ok.. I can't be overdoing the exercise. Seriously, I'm working hard but overdoing it? My husband just glared at her. I was glad he didn't say anything because I know what he would have said would have been inappropriate in front of the boys.

The auction you were planning to go to sounds interesting. What exactly is it?

This weekend has been anything but boring. I spent several days preparing for the biggest bbq party I've ever hosted. Yesterday we celebrated our son's graduation. There was enough delicious food to feed a small town. Gosh it was great! After everyone left late last night we put away some perishables and went to bed. It took me quite a bit this morning to clean up, but I was glad to do it. When the boys woke up (close to noon ) the house was back to normal. They both were surprised as they dreaded waking up to it knowing that they'd have to help. So I am really in a good mood.

I'm taking the day off as they've gone to the movies. Tonight we have a dinner party to attend. (We cancelled an afternoon party we promised to go to... I am getting partied out. )

And I am still behaving myself. I admit.. last night I had one margarita too many but I also had an amazing time.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:07 AM   #7  
Eat less, taste more

Well, Jayde, considering your son isn't going to be graduating again any time soon I'd say that one margarita too many isn't all that bad...better than one cake too many...

You're so lucky to have so many parties to go to! Of course make sure that there aren't one too many margaritas at *all* of them...

Odd and unusual sale...its a hodge podge of animals that don't fit into a regular farm auction...like peacocks, potbellied pigs, llamas...the boys would have had a lot of fun.

I hear ya on the cleaning up your kids plates. Thats where I came to the realization that on my butt is still *wasted*...but I STILL have a hard time scraping food into the garbage. Old habits and all that I guess...

I think its finally done raining today. I really love the rain but three days of cold, pouring rain are enough for me right now.

Maybe the next time your friend from the buffet pushes food on you or tells you she thinks you are overdoing it with the exercise you should invite her here to 3fc? It really sounds like she needs a reality check.

I was really happy to see at my morning reality check (weigh in) that I am now 165!! Wooo Hooo! As long as it sticks for two days I get to move my ticker down.
Old 05-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

165!!!!!! Wow.. When was I ever that weight? Maybe before both by pregnancies. Maybe someday again within the year?

Quote:
You're so lucky to have so many parties to go to! Of course make sure that there aren't one too many margaritas at *all* of them....

That sounds like a really interesting auction. Llamas? Wow. How often do they have them where you are?

I think my friend from the buffet needs more than a reality check. This is my day dream. ---->

I'm procrastinating.. I've got work to do and don't want to do it..
I also haven't exercised in a few days.
I am gonna slap myself.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #9  
Eat less, taste more

Apparently there is no slapping smilie...so here is a good stern lecture about procarstinating . And then one for me since I've also been putting off my weights . I *know* it would be good for me. I know it would help me lose weight faster. And I know it wouldn't be a problem if I would just DO IT. Still some how I manage to put it off...

I really like the pan in the head smilie too. I have at least one person I would like to give that kind of a wakeup call to!

Llamas...actually there are quite a few llamas in the area. People keep them because they are very protective and will chase off coyotes. And they are cute.

I'm totally psyched to be back to 165. I haven't been since before I got pregnant with my second son. And my first goal of 148 is just around the corner now...I haven't weighed that since before I was pregnant with my first son!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:44 PM   #10  
The Beauty of Balance

I'm going to get off my behind today... really I am.

Llamas chase of coyotes? Wow.. that is something I never knew. I can't imagine a coyote even thinking of them as ferocious.

I really am so happy for you getting in shape and closer to the weight you want to be. 148 for me? I think I was a preteen.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #11  
Eat less, taste more

Yipeee! 165 and holding...so I get to move my ticker again!

Yeah Llamas really look more like a teddy bear or something don't they? But apparently they are protective. Donkeys are also good for keeping away coyotes. Coyotes aren't prone to fighting though unless they are starving...they will take an easy meal over one that will put up a fight.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 AM   #12  
it's always something

Congrats on the loss, MamaHippo!

I'm a little late with this, lol, but I hate buffets. When you get tempted, think about all of the people that have walked by and coughed or had fly-away hairs, or kids that stuck their fingers in for a taste. How's that for an appetite suppressant
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #13  
Eat less, taste more

Ohhh...that IS an appetite supressant!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:18 AM   #14  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I'm a little late with this, lol, but I hate buffets. When you get tempted, think about all of the people that have walked by and coughed or had fly-away hairs, or kids that stuck their fingers in for a taste. How's that for an appetite suppressant
EWWWWW!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
When you get tempted, think about all of the people that have walked by and coughed or had fly-away hairs, or kids that stuck their fingers in for a taste. How's that for an appetite suppressant
Leave it to Suzanne to think about it like that EGADS!!!!! lolol
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote