South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #1  

Default Recipe Challenge!

RNMom- You and all your cooking have inspired me to change things up a bit!

Okay all you chefs out there, and even those who don't like to cook much! Let's challenge ourselves to try one new recipe this week that we have never made before to spice up our diet. We have tons of awesome recipes here on the boards as well as other places on the 'net. Post here once you have tried it! If you liked it, add the recipe to the recipe forum if it isn't already there. (Be sure to site your source )

Bon appetit!
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great idea! I've already tested the Sonoma Tomato and Feta salad I posted yesterday. It was great!
Please remember to include serving sizes and nutritional info as well as the source.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #3  
RNMOM

Default Great idea

Kiko, that's a great idea! From the recipe forum I highly recommend the chicken divan.........it's divine! Also love the 4 bean salad, I put a few spoonfuls of that onto my regular salad and love the tasts and textures. Tonight we're having Mixed Up Casserole only I'm using chicken instead, I've got some chicken in the fridge that needs used up. Mexican Chicken casserole was good but I thought the taco mix made it really salty. Next time I'll cut the mix into 1/3 or less.
RNMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:49 AM   #4  

I made the Chicken Enchiladis last night. Quite watery, but they were tasty. Definite repeat for me.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:20 AM   #5  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

it takes a lot of work to get the enchiladini's not watery. You really have to push it around in the strainer not just let it sit, cottage cheese has a ton of water in it. I don't usually bother anymore though b/c the extra liquid keeps the leftovers from drying out.

I love the recipe challenge. I'll be trying and sharing something new soon.
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #6  

Good point! I was worried when I served it last night, but it tasted so good!
Old 06-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #7  
schmellie

S/C/G: 187/180/140

I didn't read this until just now, but posted one earlier (in P1 entrees) that I had last night. It was so good - I love curries so this really filled the void for me. Try it out!
schmellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #8  

Last night I made the mock crepes, stuffed them with Splenda sweetened LF creamcheese/ricotta/vanilla... and fresh chopped strawberries-- and put some in a blender to make a sauce.... DH loved it!
Schatzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/173.8/140

Default Big Breakfast Cookie

This is a recipe from another South Beach Diet message board. They didn't list an author. I believe that it is a Phase 2 recipe with a little tweaking from the way that it is given. I am interested to see what the rest of you think. I found it to be very good and very easy. I had good luck with it being filling but not setting off cravings for me. If you think that it is okay, maybe it could be put in the recipe thread. Here it is the way it was written on the thread with my changes/comments afterwards.

BIG Breakfast Cookie
Ingredients for 1 BIG Cookie:

1/3 cup oatmeal
1 Tb raisins (I omitted and added 1 Tbls coconut for 1 point. Would be good without too.)
1 Tb flour (equivalent to 0 points)
1/3 cups fat-free dry milk
1/4 cup applesauce (no-sugar added)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tb Splenda or other no-calorie sweetener

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with Pam. Mix all ingredients together and spoon a large mound on cookie sheet. Bake for 15-20 min, until golden brown on edges.

My changes were: I used the old fashioned, long cooking kind of oats. I did not add raisins or coconut. The Good Fats/ Good Carbs book lists raisins as very limited and a 2 tablespoon measure of coconut as limited. It does list dried apples, apricots and prunes as good, so you could use those. You could also use a small amount of dark chocolate chips, I think. My other change was that I used whole wheat flour. Some people thought the Splenda was a generous amount. Make sure to use the kind that comes in the box or bag that measures like sugar, not the packets. At first when you start mixing, it seems like there is way too much of the dry ingredients to ever mix in but it comes together with just a little more stirring. I liked a splash of vanilla, too. I used the Reynolds Release Foil and had no trouble with it sticking. I have also quadrupled the recipe and made 4 cookies at a time with no problem.

I like the idea of my oatmeal, milk and fruit in one easy to grab cookie, maybe you will, too! I lurk a lot and don't post much, but I wanted to share.
MJMS
MJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 07:33 PM   #10  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

I tried a new recipe the other night for dinner and I am gonna post it because it was awesome!
Jennie527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Great, Jennie.
Everyone, please don't post new recipes unless you HAVE tried them
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

MJMS,

That cookie recipe sparked major cravings for me, since I'm on ph 1 and not allowed oatmeal cookies!(groan) Definetly will be making it as soon as I can on ph2.
Thanks!
Luc's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #13  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

mmm I love talking about yummy recipes...

ok made a delicious meal last night...I took 2 recipes from Rachael Ray Tomato, Basil & cheese baked pasta and super garlic eggplant parm subs and combined the ideas. I'll post it in phase 1 entrees b/c I took out the pasta and the sub rolls...
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 206/194/165

Height: 5'8"

Batmomm- I love cooking also, all the wrong things obviously! LOL
I'm going to check out the recipe you posted and post one for heart smart shrimp scampi- made that tonight and loved it.
Luc's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:28 PM   #15  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

with the enchaladinis, mine arent' watery...hmm. I use shredded chicken, hot sauce, zesty reduced fat tostitos cheese sauce and ff shredded chedder and mix in some ff sour cream instead of cottage cheese.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote