Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Food for high Cholesterol?

I'm pretty sure that this has been brought up a million times @_@.
But anyways I'll get to the question.

My father has slightly elevated cholesterol (202). He wants to lower it, so what foods should he avoid to lower his Cholesterol? We are both in the dark about this. Any help?
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 PM   #2  
LLV

Anything high in fat, mostly.

Saturated fats elevate blood cholesterol levels even moreso than foods high in cholesterol themselves.

I used to have high cholesterol, but when I changed my lifestyle and eating habits, i.e. eating a diet very low in saturated fats (yet getting enough of the good fats) my cholesterol is now normal
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:08 AM   #3  
LLV

To add, 202 isn't really all that bad. It wouldn't hurt for him to lower it a little, but he's not quite in the danger zone yet.

Again, the biggest thing to stay away from is saturated fat. Cut out (or severely cut back on) fried foods, red meat, egg yolk, high-fat dairy (including cheese), and processed foods that contain partially hydrogenated oils (trans fat).

Saturated fats elevate the 'bad' (LDL) cholesterol while lowering the 'good' (HDL) cholesterol. Does he know his LDL and HDL numbers? The overal total number (202) doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

I had high cholesterol before I changed my eating habits. Now my numbers are as follows:

Total Cholesterol: 192
LDL (bad cholesterol): 107
HDL (good cholesterol): 61
Triglycerides (blood fats): 120

My total used to be around 250. My LDL was too high (it should be around 100 or less, so I still have a little work to do on that), my HDL was too low (used to be in the 40's) and my triglycerides were over 800.

I changed my eating habits (I eat very little fat) and lost 80 pounds and now my numbers are normal again.

Here's a chart giving optimal target ranges for cholesterol levels.

LDL CHOLESTEROL
Less than 100 Optimal Goal
100 to 129 Close to Optimal
130 to 159 Borderline High
160 to 189 High
190 or higher Very high (definite risk)
HDL CHOLESTEROL
Less than 40 Low (High Risk)
60 or higher High (Optimal)
TRIGLYCERIDES
Less than 150 Optimal Goal
TOTAL CHOLESTEROL
Less than 200 Optimal Goal
200 to 239 Borderline High
240 or higher High
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Here is a link to the American Heart Association's site on cholesterol:
http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=1516

It is a very informative site, hope this helps!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #5  
Less is more.

Oh thank you, the link is great.
LLV.. my dad eats about 2 eggs every day @_@ lol I knew that was bad for him. not that bad, but that's 14 eggs a week. His LDL only a few points over what it should be. SoI think that cutting out his eggs and getting back on the work out band wagon would help him greatly.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:53 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai
Oh thank you, the link is great.
LLV.. my dad eats about 2 eggs every day @_@ lol I knew that was bad for him. not that bad, but that's 14 eggs a week. His LDL only a few points over what it should be. SoI think that cutting out his eggs and getting back on the work out band wagon would help him greatly.
Does he eat them whole or does he scramble them? If he scrambles them, he could at first try only using one of the two yolks.

For the most part, I eat only the whites. But every now and then I have one yolk. I'll use three eggs... three whites and only one yolk. I toss out the other two.

If he eats them whole, try switching to the brands that say their hens are vegetarian-fed. Eggland's Best is one of those brands. They're a little more expensive, but the yolks in veggie-fed hen eggs aren't as high in cholesterol and saturated fat as the yolk in regular eggs.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 AM   #7  
Less is more.

He eats them scrambled, so the one yoke idea is pretty good. And I knew about egg-lands, just didn't even think of it @_@ lol I'll have to talk to him about these ideas ^_^
Old 06-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #8  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Just to add, adding Fish Oil pills would help tremendously with diet and exercise. My in-laws and I take it and all of us have had our cholestrol go down!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_Chick
Just to add, adding Fish Oil pills would help tremendously with diet and exercise. My in-laws and I take it and all of us have had our cholestrol go down!
Yep, I take fish oil every day. They're great for lowering triglycerides.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 AM   #10  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai
He eats them scrambled, so the one yoke idea is pretty good. And I knew about egg-lands, just didn't even think of it @_@ lol I'll have to talk to him about these ideas ^_^
Yep, just take one of the yolks out. He'll never miss it.