Old 06-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #1  
Registered Loser

S/C/G: 236/185/140

Default After Lane Bryant, then where?

I'm having a problem finding clothes now. I'm finally finding the Lane Bryant 14/16 shirts (smallest size at Paducah store) too loose, just a little. I am in 16 pants now (uncomfortably so), but when I go to other stores, all the clothes still make me feel like a FAT woman! At Old Navy, the 2X's are so SKIN-TIGHT I wanted to scream at the managers! (Actually I haven't tried on an Old Navy 2X since March 16, but scared to now.)

How are Gap 16's? Unrealistic? Generous? I just don't know what to do now. I'm happy to be finding less at Lane Bryant, but not so happy that means going to Sears for clothes. What do you not-fat-not-skinny chicks do? What did you weigh the first time you got to shop in Charlotte Russe or the Limited?
missy_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #2  
LAWL/gold since oct. 2005

Height: 5'8

Missy-I started at the size you are about now. I was shopping at Eddie Bauer, Gap, Old Navy, Kohls, JC Penney. My advice is you have to try every style of jeans, shorts on at these stores because the sizes are so inconsistent.
I am just now able to shop at Limited, Express, Charlotte Russe. My biggest NSV is being able to shop at Ann Taylor Loft- I used to get so mad that I could not wear anything from there. Now I can wear size 10 there.

Lisa
ljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:12 AM   #3  
PurpleSunshine

Missy - Have you tried new york and company - I think their sizes go up to 18.....but they have fairly generous sizing. You would probably fit into a 16 there. I think the big difference may be that with lane bryant - they are plus sized 16 where a regular 16 (reg. store) may be different =- I'm totally guessing here b/c of my experience after trying to find clothes after having my baby. I would try two different 16 on at target and the 16W is totally diff than the 16. Maybe try Target too .....
Personally I find alot of Old Navy stuff to be sized very very weird - sometimes I fit in 10 - other times I may need a 14 depending on the cut. I don't go there very often strictly b/c of the frustration - I did finally find some jeans there that I absolutely loved the way they fit - then they discontinued them.....
I hope this makes sense and is not offending in any kind of way..... I hope some others have some more ideas......Good luck - before long you won't have to worry about it - you will be in 12 and 14's....lane bryant will be long gone out of the mind!!!!
PURPLEPIRATE99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #4  
Registered Loser

S/C/G: 236/185/140

Aaah, sounds like back to shopping out of town since we don't have a Target and our NY & Co. went out of business 5 years ago. Darn, I just hate day trips to Nashville...

Thanks for the feedback. It is helpful to have others' wisdom to learn from. I will ... reluctantly ... head back to Old Navy, and then maybe hit Evansville or Nashville in the next month or so.
missy_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 PM   #5  
Katie

Height: 5'1

Old navy stuff always fits me weird too. For instance, their pants are always cut small, but I am wearing a pair of Old Navy capris today that are a 9, big in the waist. I don't get it.
Repo girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #6  
Princess Heather

Missy,

Catherine's has plus sized clothing that is really true plus size clothing. The cut is fuller and the fit is better. I used to work there and until I lost 40 pounds my closet looked just like the shopping floor! They have a website too...Catherines.com I do recomend trying stuff on to find your size there! Good luck!
CandlePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 PM   #7  
banned

S/C/G: 203/136/133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repo girl
Old navy stuff always fits me weird too. For instance, their pants are always cut small, but I am wearing a pair of Old Navy capris today that are a 9, big in the waist. I don't get it.
Yea, Old Navy runs HUGE.
deetsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:47 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I don't know if you have an H&M nearby (or even if there ARE H&M stores in the States) but they have excellent sizing up to 14. Nothing irritates me more than not fitting into a 12 because that's the highest most "regular" stores go, but that never happens at H&M.

Liz Claiborne clothes are also cut pretty well, but they can run expensive. But they are awesome for workwear.

IIRC, Gap and Old Navy are owned by the same company. Would that mean the sizing would be the same? I always have to buy XL when I shop at the Gap and it's so hard to find there.
iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:35 PM   #9  

I love NY&CO...I would drive any distance to shop there. I also have pretty good luck in the Misses department at JCPenney - for work clothes anyway, not so much for trendy/current street clothes.

Back when I was skinny, I found Gap to be classic "vanity" sizing - a size 6 on me anywhere else would be a 4 at Gap. But I haven't gone in one recently, I just assumed their sizes didn't go up far enough (I like you am right on the bottom edge of Lane Bryant sizing).

Oh, and if you want cheaper clothes - as opposed to investment clothes, try DEB. The thing I like about them is the regular and plus size sides of the store carry the EXACT SAME merchandise. I have no pants in size 8-14 because I went from a 6 to pregnant to 16 (ugh), so that's where I plan to go to get me through those sizes until I can fit back into my "skinny" clothes...someday.
vibrantecho is offline   Reply With Quote