Old 05-30-2006, 01:11 PM   #1  

Default Falling off the Wagon

Hello all.

Well, I fell off my wonderful Atkins wagon this weekend.

However, I just weighed in this morning and manged to keep those initial 10 lbs off. This would have officially been my 3rd week too! The longest I would have ever stuck to a diet.

I didn't cheat terribly, but I did fall out of ketosis. And I have to say I have never felt more guilty about anything! I did continue to workout all weekend too -- I think that's what helped keep my scale down.

I'm very mad at myself right now though. I just have to continue! I bought a newer Atkins book yesterday. I didn't realize how old my Atkins book was -- it was given to me by a friend. This book, New Diet Revolution, is updated and I've been reading it. It's giving me the momentum I need. I really still would like to hit my 4th of July goal.

I hope you all had a great weekend!
Buffy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:35 PM   #2  
Susan hockeyfan7

Buffy, it's happened to all of us at one time or another. Just make sure you get back with the program with the very next bite.
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:48 PM   #3  
Girl from Rio

S/C/G: 242/See ticker/118

Height: 5 2"

Nothing like getting back on track with the diet to wear that guilt feeling right off ! A slip happens to everyone, we just have to make sure that that´s what it is ... just a slip !

And congrats on the 10lb you have lost so far !!
carol2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:52 PM   #4  

Hey there. Thanks Hockey. I'm going to definitely get right back on that wagon. This morning I've started off good and plan to work out at lunch.

I hit a stall early last week so I think I was a little down. Also, my hubby hasn't been that supportive lately. Probably was a key ingredient to my failing over the weekend.

I did take the time yesterday to re-evaluate myself and tell myself why I'm doing this again. I went over my past meal plans I keep in fitday and tried to figure out the culprit of my stall. I still can't really figure out what it was. I think it may have been caffine. I don't drink a lot of it but definitely keep around my 1 cup a day.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:56 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

BuffyO,
Susan is right...we've all been there!! I'm usually good, I don't "cheat" persay but...I do tend to overendulge at times on allowed foods

The important thing is to get back on track. You CAN do this!!!!

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #6  

Thanks for the support! You know, it was the first time I didn't come here and look what happened!

I'm actually feeling a little humdrum -- meaning not as gung-ho on the diet as before. I was really into it before. Also, my good friend at work whom I do the diet with is on vacation. I'm looking forward to her return tomorrow so we can get back into this together.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/167.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Don't give up buffy! You can get back in the swing of things quickly. I've been suffering through a stall for 3 weeks now and want to cheat so bad but I won't let it get the best of me.
YOu got off to a good start and you CAN make your 4th of july goal. just stick with us! What I do when I feel like that is look at everyones before and after pictures and that gets me pumped again. WE CAN DO THIS!!
maggie
needtolose4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:43 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on recognizing your mistake and getting back on track. That's what it takes. We all have little mistakes at times and hopping right back in there is what helps. I am like Kim, sometimes I have too much of the allowed foods but usually don't ever cheat. (I think I have cheated twice in 11 months), which is better than I ever did with any other WOE.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 PM   #9  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

I agree with need2lose - go and look at everyone's before and after photos and then remember what you felt like when you stepped on the scale and it told you 200 lbs. Then remember how great it is going to be when it says 185 or 180!! You can do this.

I understand about your DH - mine is the same way - I do all of our household cooking and he is asking me to cook things that are WAY too tempting for me at this stage in the diet. I read my atkins book this weekend while I fixed him and kids pound cake (waiting to payday to get the New Diet Revolution book) and came across a part that said if you eat something off your plan - stop yourself as quickly as you can when you are binging, and go back to basics for 2 days. (4 if you are metabolically resistant) and then go back to whereever in OWL you were before.

What that said to me, if I mess up, don't worry about - remember it and move forward. Or as I read on 3FC all the time - Keep Going. Buffy, You can do this.

Also wanted to add - I went back to reading old posts and on this forum there is a sticky for "Frequently Asked Questions". Within the post toward the bottom there is an article on weight loss stalls (Title: " Atkins Weight Stalls Info " )that is actually focused on stalls during the 5th and the 6th weeks of being on the plan. It may be helpful to check it out. I find it very encouraging to know what to expect.

Last edited by MsChris; 05-30-2006 at 05:39 PM.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:42 PM   #10  

I love coming here!

Thanks to all of you for the much needed and appreciated support. I really needed it today. I'm feeling much better today. I fixed my meals in advance for today and haven't been tempted at all to cheat! Drinking my water, took my vitamin and even went for a brisk walk. I'm going for a light 1 mile run tonight after I put the baby to bed.

You're right. I do feel better then when the scale said 200. I have to remember that and yes, what kept me going before was the extra energy I was feeling and the great feeling I got when my clothes were feeling more loose and the scale was going down. Can't beat a feeling like that!!!

I'll be hanging around here often again now. I think next time on a weekend, I'll keep my goals in mind and not cheat!
Old 05-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #11  

Height: 5 ft 3 in

I understand the humdrum feeling-especially when the scale hasn't moved like it used to. I was feeling that way-my hubby was on my case about this diet, and having to look at all the foods everyone else could still joyfully eat, and I just wanted an apple and a sandwich. I got off plan and counted calories instead for over a week, and you know what? I HAD my apple and my sandwich, and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I realized I still coudn't have my cake and eat it too if I wanted to lose weight, no matter what plan I chose to stick to. I still had to watch everyone eat foods I couldn't have-then all I wanted was a steak and some bacon, which were not good for a calorie counting diet. I think we crave whatever we know we aren't supposed to have, and I feel like Atkins is a much more indulgent feeling way to eat. We all go through times of weakness. I don't think there's anyone here, or on any other diet, that can say they haven't made a mistake or cheated. Falling off the wagon isn't failure-quitting altogether is. I'm glad to see you're back....Don't give up!
rebeleagle1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 04:21 PM   #12  

Yeah, my hubby thinks it's too much meat too. But last night he didn't say a word and just let me do my thing. He asked if I wanted some of his dinner and I just went ahead and made my own -- omelet with ham and cheese. My all-time favorite food even when I wasn't doing Atkins. Lucky me!

I'm happy -- yesterday I had a great day. I feel I really stuck to it and felt so good last night. Today I woke up early and can tell I have a lot more energy. This time around I'm trying to cut out caffine. Today I have a bit of a headache. I'm slowly stopping the caffine. Usually I'll have a couple cups of coffee a day. Today just 1/2 a cup. And eventually I'd like to switch completely to decaf. Is decaf ok?

Does anyone know anything about caffine-free diet pepsi's or cokes? Are they ok?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #13  
Walk/Low Carb Away Pounds

S/C/G: 190/178.8/170

Height: 5'3-1/2"

I drink Decaf coffee about a cup a day. I personally can't use the saccharin products (Diet Cokes) as they stall me, but I can drink Diet Rite (Splenda?) and Diet Pepsi (Nutrasweet?) products and I do ok. Of course, I make myself drink ALL of my water before I have a soda and I won't drink more than 12 ozs in a day. If I remember correctly the old Atkins book has examples of people losing weight on TAB (which at one point became Diet Coke) and other no cal - no caffeine drinks. I started drinking my decaf coffee because of its description of coffee mit schlaboger (heavy whipped cream) - and it is deliciously decadent.
MsChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:56 PM   #14  
Susan hockeyfan7

I'm bad - I do drink my water, but once those 8 glasses are down, it's back to diet Coke. The first 4 years I did Atkins, I never drank the water either -- just the diet Coke. And I still have to have my caffeine -- I figure I had to give up so much that I'm not giving up that!
hockeyfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote