Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-01-2006, 07:30 AM   #1  

Default What is this "Kashi" you all talk about?

Is this a cereal? Do they sell it in regular ol' grocery stores? Is it with the organic foods? I've seen it mentioned on the boards a lot--and never had heard of it...(yup, I'm clueless)
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:45 AM   #2  
Meg

It's a brand of cereal, with quite a few different varieties. Check out their web site here - they sell other products, too, like bars and crackers (the cheese ones taste just like Cheese Nips ).

Since you're a fellow Pittsburgher, check your local Giant Eagle. The one I shop at (Village Square Mall) has a separate health food section and that's where all the Kashi products are.

My favorite Kashi cereal is GoLean because it's crunchy, low in sugar, and high in protein and fiber. I mix it in with low fat cottage cheese and a little dry SF chocolate pudding mix.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

Kashi rocks! I love it with frozen berries and skim milk, or as a granola substitute in yogurt. One word of warning though. The first time you eat a serving of it, you may experience some, how should I put this, extra activity in your bowel region. For me personally, the large amount of fiber made me a bit gassy, but now I'm used to it and I can eat it without a problem.
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #4  
it's always something

Tastes like twigs. But you get used to it
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:45 AM   #5  

LOL @ Suzanne....
I found the big KASHI display at Walmart last night. Our Giant Eagle didn't have it... There sure are lots of different kinds-- I thought it was like one particular box of cereal, but they had a variety. I guess you are all talking about the one that even LOOKS like twigs.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:50 AM   #6  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I love the Kashi Pilaf. It's great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. As a cereal with fruit, side dish, or even as a base for stuffing.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:33 AM   #7  
LLV

Ummmmmm... ick.

lol
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

There are some varieties of Kashi that I love, and others that I don't like at all. Not all taste like twigs.

The GoLean varieties are probably my favorites...and their bars are good when I travel and have no access to a good meal. I just have one and some fruit-like tonight on my 4 hour car drive.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:44 AM   #9  

like Allikat, i like mine (kashi golean crunch) in yogurt (better than granola i think!). with a little vanilla yogurt and strawberries or blueberries--mmm. a bit CRUNCHY at first, but the yogurt softens it up a bit.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I eat the GoLean Crunch in the morning mixed with another brand of cereal. I eat the bars regularly as a snack and we occasionally eat the crackers...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #11  

I like the Go lean crunch cereal. I mix it with yougurt and berries. It's really important for me to measure it out since it's 190 calories for a cup!

I also like the Good Friends cereal by Kashi. I have to be really careful with these cereals because I will pack on to many calories with it if i'm not careful!

I was looking at the go lean energy bars at target but at 300 calories they were to much for me.
Valerie Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #12  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I had the Go Lean Crunch for the first time today. I had half a cup with a little nf milk because it's fairly high in calories. That was plenty because it's quite filling. I think I'd prefer it as a granola substitute with yogurt and berries as it's a bit too crunchy and hard for my taste (scratched the roof of my mouth - ouch!) I like that they have added protein since that makes it a bit more balanced.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:21 AM   #13  

Kashi has just started becoming available in the UK, I am not sure if it's the same product........

I bought a box and after my first breakfast thought "what are these guys talking about - it's 'orrible! Tastes like twigs!" So I see I am in good company.

I'm stickin' with my oatmeal!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:15 AM   #14  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I'm stickin' with my oatmeal!
Try the Kashi Pilaf before giving up altogether. But oatmeal 'specially steel cut is yummy too.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #15  

Its paying to much money for what actually isn't much healthier than the other products out there that are half the price.
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote