Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #1  

Question Meringue Cookies?

I was going through some cookie recipes I collected over the years and came across a holiday meringue cookie. It basically has sugar, egg whites and the picture of the cookie shows you sprinkle a few M&M's over the tops of the cookies. Are meringue cookies any good? I know they're low in calories but was just wondering if it would be worthwhile to make for the holidays. I was thinking if you put 3 or 4 M&M's per cookie it wouldn't be too bad as far as calories go.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:28 AM   #2  

I love them and have made them successfully. 3FC had a really good recipe in their recipe section on the home page a year or so ago. It was for a chocolate meringue, and it was delicious.

Speaking of meringues, I found a brand called "Miss Meringue" at Costco that is wonderful. It has all-natural ingredients (sugar, egg whites, and vanilla) and is only 80 cal, 0 fat for 4 good sized cookies.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:18 PM   #3  

Is this the chocolate meringue recipe you were talking about? I found this in the dessert section.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chewy Cocoa Meringues

Recipe By : 365 Easy Low-Calorie Recipes
Serving Size : 34 Preparation Time :2:15
Categories : Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
6 egg whites -- room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 pinch salt
18 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 200°. In a medium bowl, combine egg whites with vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until sort peaks form. Beat in 15 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons at a time. Continue beating until meringue is stiff, smooth, and shiny.

Combine remaining 3 tablespoons sugar with cocoa in a sifter and sift over top of meringue. Fold in cocoa mixture until just blended.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Drop cocoa meringue by tablespoonfuls onto paper, or pipe into 1 1/2 inch rounds with a pastry bag and star nozzle.

Bake about 2 hours, or until meringues are dry and firm and lift easily from paper. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. Store tightly covered in a dry place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Master Cook: 34.2 Cal, 0.3g Fat, 0.6 Fiber = 1 point

I tried using the pastry bag once and killed the air in the meringue, so although they aren't as pretty, I use a tablespoon. Also, I always seem to come out with more cookies than the recipe says, so adjust points accordingly. For Passover, just leave out the Cream of Tartar. They still come out just fine.
Old 11-14-2001, 01:41 PM   #4  

Yup, this is the one!
Old 11-22-2001, 03:15 PM   #5  

You could use meringue powder instead of the egg whites. Wilton the cake deco. company make meringue power and sold at Michaels. Also the groceries sell egg white powder you could use. The meringue powder has sugar in it and the egg white powder doesn't. With both products you would add water to the powder.
Closed Thread