Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-30-2006, 04:52 PM   #1  
Go Blue Team!

S/C/G: 154/148/115

Height: 4'11"

Question Stability / Exercise Ball Questions

I was wondering, is there any difference between a stability ball and an exercise ball?

What size ball is recommended for someone who is 4'11"?

Any recommended brands? Or tips for buying/using them? Or any suggestions for good workouts or dvds that I could buy to use with them?

I won't be able to buy most kits because they don't have small enough balls, but I'm thinking I can just buy the dvds, like core secrets and others, and just buy my own ball to use. Does this sound like a good idea? I'm new to the whole ball idea, but I really need to work on my core.
inklestinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Default Love my stability ball

1. I think a stability ball and exercise ball are just two terms for the same thing (unless there's some weird exercise ball that I've never heard of).

2. I think they come in small, medium, and large categories. I use a medium sized ball and I'm 5'4". However, you can play with how much you inflate the ball so you sit lower or higher. As a general rule, when seated, your thighs should be about parallel to the floor.

3. Core secrets was my first video and I think it's great. I got another video: Quick Fix Stability Ball, which is great because the workout is divided into 3 ten minute segments so it's easy to fit into your schedule. Both dvds are appropriately challenging (they also include modifications that make the workout easier if you're just starting) and they move quickly enough so you don't get bored (but slowly enough so that you know what you're doing).

I really do love my stability ball and I definitely recommend it for some strength training and toning to go along with whatever your cardio program is. Good luck and have fun!
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Balls come in different sizes, depending on your height. Balls are typically 55-75 cm inflated. Someone 5’2-5’7 would use a 55 cm ball, 5’7-6’2 a 65 cm ball and 6’2 and over, a 75 cm ball. If you have an opportunity to try one that is fully inflated, you should be able to sit on it with your knees at a right angle, feet flat on the floor.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 AM   #4  
Meg

There are 42 and 45 cm balls too - at 4'11", you probably need a 45 or 55 cm ball. It would be great if you had a chance to try some out to see what works best. Here's a little article on ball sizing that I thought was helpful.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote