Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

Default Swelling up ???

Ok, here is my problem. I have a tendency to swell up like crazy when it's realy hot and/or humid outside ( even if I'm in A/C conditions all day).

When I say crazy, I mean until my legs, fingers/hands hurt. They hurt into the muscle and they feel like my skin shrunk and is about 2 sizes too small for me now.

Anyone have any tips for me (and others) on what I could do to help aleviate this?

I realy want to take care of this since I can't get myself to exercise without the fear of having to walk barefoot to home since my shoes just won't fit anymore.

A
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #2  
Downsizing Dee!

You're not alone, but I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you. I'm curious to see some replies to this one as well as I seem to be in the same boat. I thought that my weightloss would help alleviate some of the swelling during the hot/humid season but I went walking last night and by the time I got home my sneakers had cut into my feet and my fingers looked like sausages.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #3  
DNR
Determined Woman

Most of the time when I go for my walk during my lunch hour, my fingers are swollen when I get back too. I think it's just water retention and I'm not sure what the answer is. It's only temporary and then they are back to normal.

DNR
DNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #4  
No description available.

Drink TONS of water (your pee should be very very pale). Swimming can help also. Watch processed food and added salt. Find a pool boy to massage your hands and feet!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/268/150

I also think it's water retention but with all the water I drink , I shouldn't be "storing" any.

The worst is that it can take up to a couple of days before the swellings goes down completly.

I tried "water pills" but they are realy just a band-aid on the issue.
Foreverhopefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:29 AM   #6  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I just wanted to pop in to say that I worked with someone who kept an emergency pair of shoes in her desk. The were basic black work appropriate shoes, but 2 sizes too big (if I remember correctly, maybe just one size). That might at least alleviate some of the pain?
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I swell up a lot, too. I even went to the doctor about it, but he just told me to cut back on salt.

But what's finally, over the last few months, really seemed to have done it is regular exercise and drinking more water.

When I first started drinking more water, I had to go to the bathroom ALL the time. And I started feeling thirsty. This scared me a little, because that's a diabetes warning sign. I felt like I couldn't slake my thirst. But after about a week of that, and still drinking lots of water, my body finally adjusted. Makes me wonder how dehydrated I was to begin with!

But after that adjustment period, the swelling in my hands and feet went down. I used to be able to "feel" the tightness in my toes because the skin was tight and uncomfortable. Now I don't. And even when it gets hot and humid out, I'm not as swollen as I was before.

So drink lots of water. And exercise regularly.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 12:59 PM   #8  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Furosemide. Ask your doctor.

I am puffy all the time b/c I have kidney disease & they pulled me off my diuretic to test this new medication. I would give anything to have my furosemide back. Only 3 more years, haha.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #9  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I'm not a doctor, so this is just from what I experience. My feet and hands swell up in the heat too. Usually moving around, taking a walk, helps me. Getting my circulation going.

Oh, I think it can be good to wear supportive shoes and socks or stockings, that's keeps the swelling down too.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:26 PM   #10  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

When you're walking and you're fingers swell up, it's from peripheral edema. The fluid in your arms and hands is draining to your fingers. Keep your arms above your waist ("pump" them while you walk) or squeeze your hand periodically by making a fist and squeezing while you walk. Sometimes I bring a stress ball and squeeze that while I walk. That should help.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #11  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

Hey, Jessica!

How's your vacation going??

I hope you're having a wonderful time!!!!

Now go find your B-Day thread...filled with love!!!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Thank goodness I'm not the only one!!! I've gained 3lbs back in the last 2 days & the only thing that could do it is the heat. I haven't even been eating enough to meet my plan because the heat makes me so nauseated.

Thanks for the tips - guess I should tie the waterbottle to me!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote